U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:09 PM

18,856 posts, read 6,167,967 times

Advertisements

PRP Treatments - Your Complete Guide and Directory to Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy

Now this PRP work COULD save so many from surgeries and drugs that do not work but no our insurance world will not cover. I've wanted to do the PRP for some yrs now and can't afford it. This "stuff" can regenerate tissue and heal the joints.

I know that Orthopedic MD's are now offering PRP injections to an out of pocket cost of $1000 as their patients are exhausted with surgeries and drugs that are not working. I called on Ortho MD and yes he offers them, sends his patients across to the hospital for the injections. There are specific PRP MD's who also offer Stem Cells.

The PRP MD I know about and listen to weekly on the radio, charges $850 which includes guided ultrasound to get the injection in the right place.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-09-2016 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 02:31 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,397,125 times
My spouse had hyaluronic acid injections in his knee several times & they did not help...but he really was bone-on-bone. He had knee joint replacement surgery 11 years ago, and no issues (fingers crossed). He was on the young side for the surgery, but there was no other choice, due to the pain & deformity caused by the OA.

Now OA is rearing its ugly head in my life as well (knees, feet). We both take glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, & believe they help.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:51 AM

45 posts, read 33,042 times
Thanks to everybody for the feedback. I'm going to hobble back to the Doctor's office later this month to see what options
he (& my insurance) can offer. He has already stated that someday I will have to have both knees replaced, but I should hold off as long as I can age-wise.

Like BlueDeviez says "not much lose ion trying" the shots.

for Wrench409; I feel your pain and hoping we both find some relief soon!

Old 05-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
My spouse had hyaluronic acid injections in his knee several times & they did not help...but he really was bone-on-bone. He had knee joint replacement surgery 11 years ago, and no issues (fingers crossed). He was on the young side for the surgery, but there was no other choice, due to the pain & deformity caused by the OA.

Now OA is rearing its ugly head in my life as well (knees, feet). We both take glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, & believe they help.
I've talked and read so many reports on the HA injections and IF they do some help, it's so temporary and again so costly...

The MD I listen to weekly and he deals with joint issues all day, says IF a person can bend their knees relatively with ease, and I CAN, it is not bone on bone as so many surgeons tell patients. Once the surgery is done, all cartlidge and tissue etc is removed....then it's bone on bone. Some I guess do OK with replacements but NOT without any pain.

If I had the easy FUNDS, I would have done PRP a long time ago. I've done dextrose Prolo in my shoulder and did get 3 yrs of pain free relief...dextrose is for more milder issues and LESS money.

So many are so burned from surgeries/drugs and seeking out the PRP work but funds keep many from this work. I'd like to see insurance help us with this work before I depart this life.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:46 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,507,448 times
Bone on bone arthritis is a determination made easily by a plain x Ray. It has nothing to with whether you can "easily bend your knee or not". If the cartilage has worn away and the femur is touching the tibia then it's bone on bone.

As for surgery if you are talking knee replacement then of course "all the cartilage is removed". That's kind of the point.... It is called joint "replacement " for a reason. The worn out cartilage is removed the bone is then shaped to accept the metal and plastic implants. So no it's not bone on bone after surgery it's metal on plastic

As for "some" getting relief from joint replacement surgery I think the term you are looking for is MOST as in the overwhelming majority receive relief and yes without pain after the initial post operative period.

We get it you mention in every post about your hip replacement problems. Unfortunate but far from the norm.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:56 AM

Yes, my life has gone so downhill since this surgery and I'm not alone. Unless you spend time on replacement support groups, you have no idea. Living with plastic and metal in our bodies there is always concern about infection and allergy from these foreign parts.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:07 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,222,734 times
I know several people who have had MERSA infections from knee surgeries and still suffer tremendous pain years after their surgery. In fact their knee pain is far worse after surgery than before, so I will always consider that a last resort.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes, my life has gone so downhill since this surgery and I'm not alone. Unless you spend time on replacement support groups, you have no idea. Living with plastic and metal in our bodies there is always concern about infection and allergy from these foreign parts.
20 plus years in Orthopaedics tells me a lot more than any message boards. I've seen hundreds of patients before and after knee replacement surgery so I think that trumps your message board experience

As has been pointed out to you by multiple folks on this board on line support groups are a subset of the population of total joint replacement patients. A mostly dissatisfied subset. The overwhelming majority of satisfied patients aren't seeking out support groups to complain about their experiences because they don't have any complaints. One gets a very skewed perspective. I could just as easily point to many patients who would tell you surgery was a breeze they have no pain are very active and they would tell you everyone they know has had a similar experience

Study after study also backs up the success rate of these surgeries

Old 05-10-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I know several people who have had MERSA infections from knee surgeries and still suffer tremendous pain years after their surgery. In fact their knee pain is far worse after surgery than before, so I will always consider that a last resort.
I know several people that have died in plane and car crashes. I still drive and fly

Knee replacement is not without risk

Life is not without risk

No one is forced to have a knee replacement and it supposed to be a last resort when all other treatments have failed. If I couldn't be as active as I like to be and had daily knee pain due to arthritis not relieved by other means I wouldn't hesitate to have my knee replaced

Old 05-10-2016, 12:44 PM

I'm not looking for comparisons etc. Thank you. Talking about surgeries.

Yes, I elected but never never expected the outcome I live with. I compare my life with my parents who both lived into their 90's and limped at the end years but NEVER joint surgeries...I limp and waddle like a penguin and have done the replacement and a bowed leg....whatever that surgeon did or didn't do, I live with. Talk about medical errors/mistakes, huh??? My thinking, stay away from hospitals as best one can.

I have another online friend who had 2 hip replacements, ended up with horrid infections, had both removed, on abx for a couple months, then one by one had the hips done -- talk about misery.

I hope the OP isn't upset with the digression from HA but it's all about our preserving joints.

PS: I asked you before, are you an MD, but never heard back from you and your 20 yrs in orthopedics.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-10-2016 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or