U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:13 AM

4,670 posts, read 5,829,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well nice to see this thread up.

I am scheduled to get my first injection of hyaluronic acid in my painful knee joint later this week.

As I detailed in the various squat threads in the exercise section, I have been dealing with a painful knee condition the past month. It's actually the same location that I had problems with last year.

To date I've had physical therapy along with PRP injection, and nothing seems to help so far. I still cannot bend my knee greater than 110 degrees or so, it is so stiff and painful to try and bend it more. The leg is shaky when I try to walk on it. Basically, in 5 weeks not much has changed from when the pain started flaring up.

I went back to my old ortho doctor and we will try the injections and go from there. He believes it is osteoarthritis. Based on what past doctors said my injury could be patellar tendonitis (totally unlikely especially since location of pain is different), IBS flare up, LCL damage, or OA. Anyways if these injections don't work, they'll evaluate with another MRI and go from there.

This is the worst chronic injury I've had in my life, and it is depressing not only because it has decreased my active lifestyle, but mostly because I cannot function normally at work. My work requires physical labor and with a bum knee it's hard to be as effective.

We'll see how it goes.
Your knee seems to be somewhat worse than mine. My biggest problem is stiffness and not being able to bend it. It is painful getting out of a car.

I've had the hyaluronic acid injections 4-5 times. I've had Synvisc and Euflexxa. They may have provided some benefit but nothing dramatic. My insurance covered most of the cost or I would not have had them multiple times.

I have not had a PRP injection but I tried prolotherapy this week. It is relatively inexpensive compared to all the other options. My knee was a little sore, but did not swell up or get bruised. I'm scheduled to go back for another treatment in July. This doctor also does PRP and stem cell injections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:32 AM

18,765 posts, read 6,129,215 times
I had Prolo (dextrose) injection in shoulder and got 3 yrs pain free relief. I could use it again but running out of energy to keep trying stuff and money too.

I had 2 injections of Prolo (dextrose) in my knee and it did not help...if I had more injections, who knows...it's all out of pocket so depends on money situation one has. THe stuff that could really help is not covered by AMA/health insurance world.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 PM

14,966 posts, read 8,529,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Your knee seems to be somewhat worse than mine. My biggest problem is stiffness and not being able to bend it. It is painful getting out of a car.

I've had the hyaluronic acid injections 4-5 times. I've had Synvisc and Euflexxa. They may have provided some benefit but nothing dramatic. My insurance covered most of the cost or I would not have had them multiple times.

I have not had a PRP injection but I tried prolotherapy this week. It is relatively inexpensive compared to all the other options. My knee was a little sore, but did not swell up or get bruised. I'm scheduled to go back for another treatment in July. This doctor also does PRP and stem cell injections.
Yes I'm at my wit's end now.

I cannot bend my knee greater than 100 degrees. It gets very tender and sharp pain if I try to bend it more. I can't fully extend my knee either without my leg shaking. My leg also tends to buckle when I walk.

I had the hyaluronic injection, my knee feels somewhat better but the pain and tenderness still there (and can't bend).

It's frustrating because it's been 6 weeks now and a variety of medication, therapy, and treatments have failed to make any progress. I am going in for a MRI tomorrow afternoon and with the ortho doctor on Monday.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:22 PM

I can bend my knee and keep bending it so not to totally freeze up. It's when I start to walk, good grief. The prolo MD here says as long as one can bend, there is cartlidge there. If I only had easier money, I would go for the PRP injections. Ross Hauser in the Midwest does a lot of this work and the MD here is Marc Darrow, he's very busy. If I was still working, bringing in a salary I would go for it and make payments. I may still end up doing them. I cannot bear a surgery. Talking to a friend today and she had a replacement at over 80 and is now 90 and says her knee hurts all the time...she reminded me it's a hard rehab.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:00 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,350,242 times
Biking has really helped my knees. The movement of the joint and the muscle build up around the knee has provided relief. The hardest thing on knees is sitting at a desk job. The stiffen up and it ruins the knees. I also use Move Free Ultra. Have spurs, missing cartilage, osteoarthritis and have had 2 torn miniscus.If I do not bike for 3 or 4 days, my knees begin to stiffen up.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:25 PM

I can't even do one rotation on the stationary cycle due to inability of my leg to bend.

When I started going to physical therapy, they wanted me to warm up on the bike. All I could do was go halfway forward and backward.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:26 AM

4,670 posts, read 5,829,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Biking has really helped my knees. The movement of the joint and the muscle build up around the knee has provided relief. The hardest thing on knees is sitting at a desk job. The stiffen up and it ruins the knees. I also use Move Free Ultra. Have spurs, missing cartilage, osteoarthritis and have had 2 torn miniscus.If I do not bike for 3 or 4 days, my knees begin to stiffen up.
I notice the same thing about sitting at a desk for long periods. When I stand up I can barely walk. OTOH, when I work out at the gym with machines and free weights, my knee feels much better.

I haven't tried biking. Now I'm wondering if my knee is too stiff to bike.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:53 PM

Well the MRI shows a tear in lateral meniscus.

No wonder nothing seems to be working so far.

Back to the drawing board.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:14 PM

These meniscus tears are discussed a lot on the PRP call in group I listen to. My daughter had a meniscus tear and it healed on it's own.

http://www.prptreatments.org/sports-...meniscus-tear/

The prices for PRP on the above link are pretty darn Low as to what I hear in
this area.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-13-2016 at 03:33 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 03:27 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I notice the same thing about sitting at a desk for long periods. When I stand up I can barely walk. OTOH, when I work out at the gym with machines and free weights, my knee feels much better.

I haven't tried biking. Now I'm wondering if my knee is too stiff to bike.
I've noticed my knee (torn meniscus, had surgery, didn't help) hurts more and feels stiffer after sitting on the couch for a while, with my legs up on the couch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or