Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:25 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Well, here is one I never heard of before today. At bridge today and talking to the hostess she just went thru HA injections to one of her knees. But the ortho MD did a lump of the 3 series injections in one injection. He had to get approval before he did it but that took like 15 minute phone call to insurance (medicare) and her knee is feeling great RIGHT NOW. So instead of her going for 3 office visits for 3 injections, this MD lumped it to one large injection. Anyone hear of this? I'm seeing a new D.O. next week who does HA injections and will mention this, if he doesn't do it I may go see her MD.

I tried the HA injections as I said above with 5 visits to the doc's office for two different type of HA's injections. This was over some yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 03:00 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
This isn't any groundbreaking "new" development...

Synvisc One has been available for years....

This MD didn't "lump three shots" together, it comes prepared as a single injection...

He also didn't need any "special approval" from an insurer, just the same approval we have to get any time a patient receives a series of hyaluronic acid injections or the single bolus...approval that the insurer will pay for the service

The Synvisc One injections are no different than the typical series...same exact formulation just all given at once

Old 07-17-2016, 05:13 PM

You don't know what her MD "needed" as this is what she told me. What I'm saying she didn't have to go for the 3 costly visits that are given to patients, that's what I went thru years ago with SynVisc and Eufflexa and neither did me any good anyway. Just more costly visits to the doctor. They get you coming and going.

When I did the SynVisc I went for two visits and stopped as they didn't seem to be helping and my copays were mounting. When my rheumy suggested Eufflexa a few yrs ago I did all three and sucked up the 3 visit copays...and they didn't do anything again. I "almost" detest this world of medicine. You pay and pay and pay and MAYBE get some relief...maybe not. Thank you botched up hip replacement!@!!!@#%$$$$$

You don't know what this UCLA MD had to go thru so you can't say what he needed or didn't.

I'm seeing this D.O. soon and he offers a LOT of services including PRP which I cannot afford.

CliniCare Santa Monica - Adam Silver, D.O.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:38 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You don't know what her MD "needed" as this is what she told me. What I'm saying she didn't have to go for the 3 costly visits that are given to patients, that's what I went thru years ago with SynVisc and Eufflexa and neither did me any good anyway. Just more costly visits to the doctor. They get you coming and going.

When I did the SynVisc I went for two visits and stopped as they didn't seem to be helping and my copays were mounting. When my rheumy suggested Eufflexa a few yrs ago I did all three and sucked up the 3 visit copays...and they didn't do anything again. I "almost" detest this world of medicine. You pay and pay and pay and MAYBE get some relief...maybe not. Thank you botched up hip replacement!@!!!@#%$$$$$

You don't know what this UCLA MD had to go thru so you can't say what he needed or didn't.

I'm seeing this D.O. soon and he offers a LOT of services including PRP which I cannot afford.

Yes I do "know" what her UCLA MD had to go through because I go through the same thing.... I GIVE these injections....YOU don't....he didn't call Medicare to get "approval" to try some new experimental procedure...he called medicare to make sure they would PAY for this "standard" procedure...

A process which is required whether one gets three injections or one....its the SAME thing....same process....same injectable product....same medicare/insurance procedures...

Old 07-17-2016, 05:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:

The information from bluedevilz is correct.

I have had Synvisc, Synvisc-One, and Euflexxa injections a total of five times. I have never been charged more than one co-pay for three office visits. You shouldn't expect any benefit after two injections since it takes some time to work after the last injection.

I didn't get any dramatic improvement after the injections but they allowed me to continue running for a few more years.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:14 PM

I can't see how a doctor doesn't charge for an OV every time you step into his office. I went for 5 OV's total and have to believe I was charged for O.V's..every time plus the injection. I threw away my medicare statements so can't look them up. MD's don't give anything free. It costs every time you step into their office.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I can't see how a doctor doesn't charge for an OV every time you step into his office. I went for 5 OV's total and have to believe I was charged for O.V's..every time plus the injection. I threw away my medicare statements so can't look them up. MD's don't give anything free. It costs every time you step into their office.
I'm on private insurance so it could be how the insurance plan negotiated payment with the provider.

Insurance is confusing and makes it difficult to know what any type of service will actually cost you out of pocket.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:35 AM

What bugs me MORE now if Synvsc One is available why do these doctors tell a patient they have to come 3 times for an injection? More profits for them?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The information from bluedevilz is correct.

I have had Synvisc, Synvisc-One, and Euflexxa injections a total of five times. I have never been charged more than one co-pay for three office visits. You shouldn't expect any benefit after two injections since it takes some time to work after the last injection.

I didn't get any dramatic improvement after the injections but they allowed me to continue running for a few more years.

Are you still running? Did you end up doing something more drastic like a knee surgery?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Are you still running? Did you end up doing something more drastic like a knee surgery?
I haven't run in a couple months but I may give it a try today. I've run a certain 10K for the past 21 years and I'm registered. It is the end of September. I've also run a race (either 5K or 5 miles) on Thanksgiving for the past 22 years.

There is no knee surgery that will help other than a knee replacement. I had arthroscopic surgery on the torn meniscus and that was a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness