U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2016, 11:57 AM
 
18,924 posts, read 6,185,164 times
Reputation: 12730

Advertisements

I live on a major street with a lot of runners, unhappy looking people. The LA Marathon goes down this street too when it's run. Talk about pained faces and bodies. I exercised all my life up to about mid 60's and had to stop to take care of what joints were left. I was never a runner, thank goodness. I'd say slow down and take care of what is left. Makes so much sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2016, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Northern Appalachia
4,701 posts, read 5,848,107 times
Reputation: 5380
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I live on a major street with a lot of runners, unhappy looking people. The LA Marathon goes down this street too when it's run. Talk about pained faces and bodies. I exercised all my life up to about mid 60's and had to stop to take care of what joints were left. I was never a runner, thank goodness. I'd say slow down and take care of what is left. Makes so much sense.
It is an old wives tale that running or deep weightlifting squats will hurt your knees. I knee one guy who ran his last race at age 90. I've know many runners who are running in their 70s and 80s.

I know a lot of people who have had knee replacements. Not one of them was a runner. I do know one person who was an excellent runner, ran cross country and track in high school, and won hundreds of road races. He is 64 and his knees are shot and he will need to have both knees replaced. He is the one exception. The numerous people I know who have had knee replacements are mostly overweight. Some injured their knees early in life, developed arthritis and said they couldn't exercise.

My goal is to get back to running and start running at least one race a month. One year I ran 28 races from 5K to marathon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2016, 02:10 PM
 
18,924 posts, read 6,185,164 times
Reputation: 12730
We all can share stories on good outcomes and disasters. A person I knew for years and worked to do squats and weights and and and, bulking up big time, went thru a knee replacement a couple yrs ago and it's been a disaster. The other knee "needs" work but he's living on pain pills. Now he's on the books for a shoulder replacement in Aug. Good luck with your goals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2016, 03:46 PM
 
4,628 posts, read 10,513,681 times
Reputation: 10329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I live on a major street with a lot of runners, unhappy looking people. The LA Marathon goes down this street too when it's run. Talk about pained faces and bodies. I exercised all my life up to about mid 60's and had to stop to take care of what joints were left. I was never a runner, thank goodness. I'd say slow down and take care of what is left. Makes so much sense.
I'd say you have no idea what you are talking about and no what you suppose doesn't make "so much sense"

Runners are not "unhappy looking people" you admit you were never a runner so maybe you should keep your uneducated comments to yourself.

There is NO evidence that running damages knees or other joints....so please just save your anecdotes....they are worthless...

Just because your "friends" "think" certain activities caused their joint problems doesn't make it true...

Actual studies which trump your anecdotes show no long term damage from running...it is in fact "joint protective"

Full disclosure, I actually am a runner and have been all my life, ran cross country in college and have completed over 2 dozen marathons....still running today well into my 50's...so I do know of what I speak

From a magazine you have previously touted in other threads..

After looking at the running habits and arthritis symptoms of nearly 2,700 women and men, researchers discovered that regular runners (or those who were runners at some point) were 7% less likely than non-runners to develop knee OA.
Does Running Hurt Your Knees Or Doesn't It? | Prevention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2016, 06:02 PM
 
18,924 posts, read 6,185,164 times
Reputation: 12730
As usual, we'll agree to disagree. Keep running, those surgeons need those runners to keep going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2016, 04:56 AM
 
4,628 posts, read 10,513,681 times
Reputation: 10329
Did you not read the article I linked?

I could have chosen many studies to prove you wrong I purposely chose one linked to a magazine you have previously stated was one of your "faves" and you have used to promote your views....

It's OK I get it, not one of your "faves" when it proves you wrong...

Here's another bit of irony I am loving on this particular offshoot...

Someone who lives by anecdotes and in fact almost only uses anecdotes to try and prove outrageous points is telling me to "keep running, those surgeons need runners"

I absolutely love the fact that a non runner, someone who has stated she was "never a runner" and WHO HAS HAD A JOINT REPLACEMENT is telling me, someone with absolutely NO knee or hip problems and unlikely to EVER need a joint replacement that I am harming my joints....

The irony is palpable...

Last edited by bluedevilz; 07-19-2016 at 05:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2016, 10:46 AM
 
18,924 posts, read 6,185,164 times
Reputation: 12730
Common sense tells me runners or non runners can and do develop joint issues. I don't need to read links. Athletes, non athletes end up with joint issues, if they live long enough. Why pound one's body to bring on more stress.
Villageidiot said they already had arthroscopic surgery on knee. That would tell me to be more gentle with my joints, but not everyone thinks like me, that's for sure.

Runner's knee, bending etc.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...n/runners-knee

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-19-2016 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2016, 11:59 AM
 
18,924 posts, read 6,185,164 times
Reputation: 12730
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Did you not read the article I linked?

I could have chosen many studies to prove you wrong I purposely chose one linked to a magazine you have previously stated was one of your "faves" and you have used to promote your views....

It's OK I get it, not one of your "faves" when it proves you wrong...

Here's another bit of irony I am loving on this particular offshoot...

Someone who lives by anecdotes and in fact almost only uses anecdotes to try and prove outrageous points is telling me to "keep running, those surgeons need runners"

I absolutely love the fact that a non runner, someone who has stated she was "never a runner" and WHO HAS HAD A JOINT REPLACEMENT is telling me, someone with absolutely NO knee or hip problems and unlikely to EVER need a joint replacement that I am harming my joints....

The irony is palpable...

I had a HIP Replacement and knee got more MESSED UP when it came out shorter. I'm doing ALL to do NO knee surgery. One ends up with replacements due to many issues, not just running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 AM
 
4,628 posts, read 10,513,681 times
Reputation: 10329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I had a HIP Replacement and knee got more MESSED UP when it came out shorter. I'm doing ALL to do NO knee surgery. One ends up with replacements due to many issues, not just running.
Again, RUNNING DOES NOT LEAD TO KNEE REPLACEMENT

Urquhart emphasizes that “physical activity is not detrimental to the knee joint but is actually beneficial to joint health.”
Is running bad for your knees? | Dr. David Geier - Sports Medicine Simplified
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 11:16 AM
 
18,924 posts, read 6,185,164 times
Reputation: 12730
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Again, RUNNING DOES NOT LEAD TO KNEE REPLACEMENT

Urquhart emphasizes that “physical activity is not detrimental to the knee joint but is actually beneficial to joint health.”
Is running bad for your knees? | Dr. David Geier - Sports Medicine Simplified
Tell that to my friend's friend in Palm Desert, he did it all ran, tennis, bicycle and a knee replacement...

There is NO sureness to any reason for surgery including replacements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top