U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:44 AM

4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Tell that to my friend's friend in Palm Desert, he did it all ran, tennis, bicycle and a knee replacement...

There is NO sureness to any reason for surgery including replacements.
Tell that to my friend's friend's brother's uncle in Kalamazoo who ran 150 marathons and never needed a knee replacement...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 10:44 AM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
150 marathons!!! Sounds like Gump.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:45 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
We all can share stories on good outcomes and disasters. A person I knew for years and worked to do squats and weights and and and, bulking up big time, went thru a knee replacement a couple yrs ago and it's been a disaster. The other knee "needs" work but he's living on pain pills. Now he's on the books for a shoulder replacement in Aug. Good luck with your goals...
you have just verified your generalization on topics is just that. Yes we can all tell stories but there are exceptions to all treatments and no one answer works for everyone. For everyone you know who has had an experience, especially a bad one, there are many who have had good ones. Normally a knew replacement is very successful. If it wasn't we would not have so many walking around with new knees. wouldn't you have to agree with this?

Old 07-24-2016, 12:48 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I'd say you have no idea what you are talking about and no what you suppose doesn't make "so much sense"

Runners are not "unhappy looking people" you admit you were never a runner so maybe you should keep your uneducated comments to yourself.

There is NO evidence that running damages knees or other joints....so please just save your anecdotes....they are worthless...

Just because your "friends" "think" certain activities caused their joint problems doesn't make it true...

Actual studies which trump your anecdotes show no long term damage from running...it is in fact "joint protective"

Full disclosure, I actually am a runner and have been all my life, ran cross country in college and have completed over 2 dozen marathons....still running today well into my 50's...so I do know of what I speak

From a magazine you have previously touted in other threads..

After looking at the running habits and arthritis symptoms of nearly 2,700 women and men, researchers discovered that regular runners (or those who were runners at some point) were 7% less likely than non-runners to develop knee OA.
Does Running Hurt Your Knees Or Doesn't It? | Prevention
My granddaughters husband's parents are in their mid 70s. The both are runners but don't run full marathons anymore. They do run 5 and 10 ks all the time. Neither have had knee replacements

Old 07-24-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My granddaughters husband's parents are in their mid 70s. The both are runners but don't run full marathons anymore. They do run 5 and 10 ks all the time. Neither have had knee replacements
That's great, I'm sure there are many like them. Constant pounding of the joints can't be a good thing...but glad they are doing well.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:23 AM

6,680 posts, read 11,893,412 times
Has anyone recently had the Euflexxa injections, for OA of the knees. I'm going to be having them, but find its very odd how this goes thru insurance. Its also difficult to find what my copay is. I'm on Medicare and BC, but Medicare isn't a drug benefit for me, just BC. My guess is this is outrageously expensive, and not guaranteed to even help.

So has anyone recently had the shots? Did it work, and how was the cost? Was it paid for by insurance, copay on your part? Thanks

Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 AM

4,670 posts, read 5,829,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Has anyone recently had the Euflexxa injections, for OA of the knees. I'm going to be having them, but find its very odd how this goes thru insurance. Its also difficult to find what my copay is. I'm on Medicare and BC, but Medicare isn't a drug benefit for me, just BC. My guess is this is outrageously expensive, and not guaranteed to even help.

So has anyone recently had the shots? Did it work, and how was the cost? Was it paid for by insurance, copay on your part? Thanks
I had these both Synvisc and Euflexxa in jections 4-5 times. I have private insurance and it seems like the co-pays increased every year. I forget if my my last copay was $50 or $100. I think the out of pocket charge would be around $950 for these injections.

These injections are definitely not cures and are marketed as a temporary solution. My knee pain varies so it was difficult to determine how much and for how long these injections helped. Read the literature on these injections and it will tell you they provide temporary relief for a few weeks up to 6 months. Some people see no improvement. It has been a few years since my last injection.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I had these both Synvisc and Euflexxa in jections 4-5 times. I have private insurance and it seems like the co-pays increased every year. I forget if my my last copay was $50 or $100. I think the out of pocket charge would be around $950 for these injections.

These injections are definitely not cures and are marketed as a temporary solution. My knee pain varies so it was difficult to determine how much and for how long these injections helped. Read the literature on these injections and it will tell you they provide temporary relief for a few weeks up to 6 months. Some people see no improvement. It has been a few years since my last injection.
Thanks for the info. If I wasn't in so much pain, I probably wouldn't consider the shots. Nothing else seems to be helping me, and the Doctor doesn't feel I need knee replacement yet. So I guess I'll have to try the 3 shots of this Euflexxa. I hope your knees will not get worse.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thanks for the info. If I wasn't in so much pain, I probably wouldn't consider the shots. Nothing else seems to be helping me, and the Doctor doesn't feel I need knee replacement yet. So I guess I'll have to try the 3 shots of this Euflexxa. I hope your knees will not get worse.
I've had both series and neither helped me and they are expensive, too much for what they do or don't do. I don't remember my copays but I'm on Medicare and I remember the charges on the EOB, too high. I would not try them again.

I just saw the ortho surgeon the other day and my knee is pretty narley looking and damage from what I've been thru mostly since 2010 and shorter leg from hip replacement...and the MD was surprised I could walk and flex/bend the knee as well as I do. I have posted in supplements what I believe is helping me. What I use has created a sort of cushion is what the MD said. Good luck, maybe you'll get some relief. We have issues and all different.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I've had both series and neither helped me and they are expensive, too much for what they do or don't do. I don't remember my copays but I'm on Medicare and I remember the charges on the EOB, too high. I would not try them again.

I just saw the ortho surgeon the other day and my knee is pretty narley looking and damage from what I've been thru mostly since 2010 and shorter leg from hip replacement...and the MD was surprised I could walk and flex/bend the knee as well as I do. I have posted in supplements what I believe is helping me. What I use has created a sort of cushion is what the MD said. Good luck, maybe you'll get some relief. We have issues and all different.
Thanks for your reply and message today. The info is most helpful. I'm not surprised the shots don't seem to work for some people
I can't figure out why they cost so much, and why we have put up with these drug companies all this time.

I am going to check into your recommendations. I wish you continued recover progress. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or