U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 AM

45 posts, read 33,000 times

Advertisements

Anyone had hyaluronic acid knee injections? Results? How often?

Both of my knees have been scoped (Meniscus tears & Ososteoarthritis) in the last 3-4 years.
Currently exercising regularly but the Celebrex (NSAID) doesn’t seem to work anymore.
Seeking any other ideas to relieve pain and continue to being active.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 10:50 AM

18,773 posts, read 6,129,215 times
I've had SynVisc and Eufflexa series and NOTHING...just took a lot of insurance money and copays from you know who. If they work at all, it's a short while. When knees are scoped from I hear from an MD, any cartlidge and tissue in their is removed.

I have a 20 yr+ OA knee and all worse since hip replacement in 2010, shorter leg outcome and hence more stress to the knee...it's been a nightmare in many ways.

I wear knee supports, topicals and acupuncture (do my own self acupuncture now) and started working with a D.O. for does bodywork and HOPE her work will help my knee..

The left knee is starting to give me stiffness and it's OA.

I broke down and did a cortisone injection a couple yrs ago and no relief...and I'm told the cortizone breaks down our bones.

jointrehab.com

Is a PRP and Stem Cell protocol that CAN regenerate ligaments and tendons and of course our genious insurance world does not cover this work. Dextrose prolotherapy is the "older" type injections and work pretty good if the issue isn't too chronic. I had dextrose prolo in my shoulder some yrs ago and got 3 yrs of RELIEF.

I've been working with this knee(s) for 20+ yrs and will NOT do a surgery. I have so much I deal with from hip replacement. My story.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:51 AM

45 posts, read 33,000 times
Thanks JaminHealth. Own self acupuncture? Not sure if I'm brave enough for that but am considering acupuncture by someone trained in it.

Also started looking into the Stem Cell procedures, but like you, no insurance coverage for that yet.

Just not looking forward to putting up with this pain for the rest of my life!

Old 05-09-2016, 12:01 PM

I've done plenty of acupuncture by the professionals and can't afford it anymore..so from discussions with a couple health minded friends learned I can do it on my own and I know where to place the needles...there is a lot of info on the net on self acupuncture.

No it's not a great thing to live with but we can manage and some do get good results with replacements...just not my cup of tea. Can't imagine more trauma to my already traumatized body. All the stress/trauma builds up in our bodies...that's why I'm hoping for relief with the D.O. body work. The D.O. doctors talks about how blocked our bodies get from stress/trauma...

Old 05-09-2016, 12:41 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,318,643 times
A few years ago perhaps 10-12 years a controlled group was involved in a double blind study aimed at seeing whether or not shark cartilage not only shrunk endstage brain tumor ,but eradicated them! The folks taking the non placebo found that the outcomes were disappointing ,but those suffering from severe arthritis were suddenly able to go up stairs painlessly especially knees and hips!!! A further study concluded that a defense peptide that lowers inflamation in the synovial fluid simply did not know when to shut off thereby compromising the joint by too much peptide!!! Shark cartilage was shown to redistribute this peptide allowing to do the job intended and traveling elsewhere ( hips, feet, ankles fingers) relieving joint pain , swelling, and inflamation!!!

Point ? Shark Cartilage ( see health store expert in town)

Old 05-09-2016, 12:56 PM

My mom died at 91 and it's going on 20 yrs since she's gone. SC was her first attempt back when she was in her 60's, she tried all the supps for the OA she lived with, NEVER replacements thou....nor surgery for joints. I did the hip replacement and I limp in spite of what I did....so many deal with complications from those surgeries.

Then there was James Coburn with the MSM when it came on to the public. A person on a RA forum talked about taking higher doses of MSM thru the day for his RA pain. I've been taking higher doses of MSM since I heard his comments probably almost 10 yrs ago. MSM does "calm" down the OA body pain.

I have a friend who will be 95 this Oct and she walks long long blocks and says many years of glucosamine has saved her. She also no joint surgeries. I love her energy and the fact she does so good at almost 95.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:15 PM

4,618 posts, read 10,494,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
Anyone had hyaluronic acid knee injections? Results? How often?

Both of my knees have been scoped (Meniscus tears & Ososteoarthritis) in the last 3-4 years.
Currently exercising regularly but the Celebrex (NSAID) doesn’t seem to work anymore.

Thanks!
Hyaluronic acid injections can be very effective knee osteoarthritis pain...typically best for mild to moderate OA. Not everyone sees relief

Pain relief can be significant and can often last 6-12 months, typically a series of 3 injections performed once weekly for 3 weeks.

Series can be repeated after 6-12 months if it was effective the first go round.

Its a very safe procedure and has been done routinely in office for about 20 years now.

Really not much to lose in trying, its a very safe product and typically cost is covered by insurance.

I wouldn't get to hung up on ONE person's experience, literature and long term studies support the use of these injections.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:45 PM

2,489 posts, read 4,555,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
Research Hylauronic Acid + Collagen supplements. The Hylauronic Acid/Collagen product by Doctors Best cured my knee pain. Also research turmeric and UC-II. Solgar has a combination formula called No. 7 with both of those ingredients.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:51 PM

Default good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Research Hylauronic Acid + Collagen supplements. The Hylauronic Acid/Collagen product by Doctors Best cured my knee pain. Also research turmeric and UC-II. Solgar has a combination formula called No. 7 with both of those ingredients.

And a LOT cheaper than what pharma charges our out of sight medical insurance world. I thought my eyes would pop out when I saw what the injections cost medicare. And they didn't help at all. Amazing almost everything insurance will pay for doesn't help us!!! Or gives us some type of side effects.

It all so too depends on how chronic your issues are.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:58 PM

6,193 posts, read 4,365,018 times
I had the three injection process. Useless for me. And $600 out of pocket cost after insurance. My pain is at a level 12 on the 1~10 scale. I had a torn miniscus repair the day before TG last year via arthroscopic surgery. I hobble every step at work. Just sitting down or standing up is so painfull it takes my breath away.

Doc says I need to wait another 6 weeks for the injections to 'take'.

I cannot take pain pills, they don' t help anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or