U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:40 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times

Advertisements

I've had a couple of bad ones.

I had a spiral fracture of the fibula, which was insanely painful. I had to have surgery for it but it took me a few weeks to make the financial arrangements for the surgery, during which time the splint the ER applied kept falling off and the bone ends grated together every time I moved. I kept dreaming that the bed was on fire when I tried to sleep, from the pain. I have a plate and 9 screws now, with nerve damage. It took a couple of years to be able to walk without a limp. I can tell when it's going to rain about 4 hours before it does. I have a really high tolerance for pain now.

My worst one was when I had a hysteroscopy and endometrial resection because of hyperplasia (precancerous cells found during a biopsy). The surgery was simple and it was supposed to be day surgery, but I didn't start breathing on my own for about 4 hours after the surgery because of complications with the anesthesia. They said that I had pneumonia, but I'm really sure I would have noticed if I had pneumonia. I've seen all the surgical notes from the procedure but there was nothing to explain the anesthesia problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 02:18 PM

5,843 posts, read 8,423,141 times
breast cancer

Old 05-15-2016, 10:46 PM

14,961 posts, read 8,529,518 times
Worst illness was a flu I had 6 years ago. It was so horrible I was in bed for a week. My whole body ached and throbbed, couldn't eat and could barely walk out of bed to use the toilet.

Worst injury was a sprained ankle when I was a kid riding a bike.

Second worst is probably the knee issue I am suffering now. I first hurt my knee last October and it flared up again a few weeks ago.

Frustrating thing is, no one knows what's going on exactly. X rays and MRI were both negative. A physical therapy session last week seemed to inflame the knee horribly.

I did acupuncture Saturday and it's a little better but going back again tomorrow.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:25 PM

12,389 posts, read 13,081,092 times
in college i had strep throat and mononucleosis both at the same time, and had to drop a bunch of classes (i was carrying 21 units, which is nuts). the scariest accident was a three-car collision where i was hit both in the rear and front of the car, strapped to a back board, taken to the ER, and then waited on the gurney for close to 5 hours before they got me into the ER. Through the morphine drip i could hear the ER tech hollering and arguing with the hospital staff about the long wait.

one of the funnier stories was when I was having the C-section to give birth to twins, i kept asking for them to move the sheet (they hang a sheet vertically) so I could see what was going on and they kept saying, "no you do not get to see it" which i could not understand because my previous birth which was a vaginal delivery I could watch the whole thing.

then in the recovery room, i shared the room with this mom who when they brought her her baby (it was her fourth baby) she told the nurse it was not hers because it was so ugly and she refused to hold it or feed it and they must have made a mistake. then her husband came in the room and they started fighting and arguing, it was like Days of Our Lives.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 AM

9,095 posts, read 3,918,635 times
Breast cancer with double mastectomy and what seemed like endless reconstruction. Other than that the flu that I woke up with on my birthday 3 years ago.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:18 PM

11,394 posts, read 15,991,510 times
Stage IV lymphoma when I was 23. During treatment, I also developed shingles, had my lungs permanently damaged from chemo, and struggle with long-term neuropathy in my feet and joints. As a result of the lung damage, I get pretty severe bronchitis at least twice a year and last year developed pleurisy during the month of 9 feet of snow here in the Boston area. Every time I breathed deeply or moved, it felt like I was getting stabbed in the chest. Coughs, sneezes, or yawns were brutal. It lasted almost a month and a half and was truly terrifying.

Other than that, I ate some bad chicken in a host family's house in southern Mexico. I was violently ill for 3 days straight, but luckily had my own restroom. It wasn't until my host brother picked some herbs on a mountain side for a tea (can't make this up) that I started feeling better.

When I was hiking in Israel, I tripped and landed on my knees in a bunch of gravel. The gravel pierced my skin and several rather large rocks were embedded in the skin. I ended up spending most of the night in an Israeli hospital and have some pretty gnarly scars because the group I was traveling with didn't see it necessary to take me to the doctor immediately to get stitches.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:07 AM

40,872 posts, read 32,642,286 times
I've had some interesting drama in my life (accidents mostly - I'm rarely sick) but probably the most debilitating thing that's happened to me long term happened to both my Achilles tendons.

I took one week of Cipro (a common antibiotic that is from the fluoroquinolone family - they all can do this), and I had no idea that taking it for that one week would wreak such havoc on me. A few months later, my left Achilles tendon started swelling up and became more and more painful. Come to find out, it was disintegrating for reasons that no one could explain. Anyway, I had to have it basically surgically rebuilt, and as you can probably imagine, they really can't recreate a "good as new" Achilles tendon when they've got nothing but shredded scraps to work with. Plus, the recovery time is usually six to eight months and involves casts, crutches, heavy RoboCop boots, knee scooters - OMG. And Vicodin. It's very long, tedious and painful.

But as if that wasn't bad enough, as soon as I'd recovered from that experience, and managed to lose the 15 pounds I gained sitting around recovering for six months, my OTHER Achilles tendon started doing the same thing. That was when my orthopedic surgeon said, "Wait a dang minute. We need to figure out why this is happening to you," and that's when we realized that I had taken Cipro. FDA Warns That Cipro and Similar Antibiotics May Rupture Tendons

Well, I had to go through it all again.

Now I have two matching scars up the backs of both ankles. And I can't walk more than about 7000 steps in a day (that's pushing it) and of course, stiletto heels are a thing of the past (all my shoes are now "sensible" shoes), and it's been a lot more difficult to lose the 15 pounds I gained AGAIN after trying so hard to lose them the first time.

My feet and ankles hurt every day of my life. They swell up at night. The pitiful thing is that prior to all this, I really did have exceptionally nice ankles and feet, if I do say so myself. Since I'm not a strikingly beautiful woman by any means, this was a feature that I had some pride in- and in fact, my husband told me that he fell in love with my feet on our very first date (yes, he's a little unique that way!). Plus, for my regular exercise, I did a lot of power walking. I was a walking fool and that's how I stayed in shape and kept my figure. So you can imagine that this has had an emotional as well as physical effect on me.

So in spite of other probably more serious and life threatening events in my life (a couple of serious car wrecks, carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty heater, and a few other dramatic episodes), I'd have to say that the Achilles tendon thing was the most painful, life changing and disheartening overall.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:44 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,382,449 times
Wow, guys.

I struggle daily to overcome nerve pain from a synovial cyst at L4/L5 -- cyst removed, nerve damage remains -- but that's minor compared to what most of you have been through. I should not complain.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 AM

40,872 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Oh I didn't mention that I had my front teeth and upper gums knocked out in a dune buggy accident when I was 15. That was dramatic. It took several years of reconstructive surgeries to fix that up!

But after they were done, you can't even tell it happened, except for a little scar on my chin, which I don't even mind - I think it adds character to my face - LOL!

That being said, I still can't feel parts of my lips nearly 40 years after the accident. I always tell my husband, "Please let me know if I have something hanging from my lip, because you know I can't feel it there and I don't want to walk around looking like a fool."

Old 05-19-2016, 02:24 PM

192 posts, read 88,124 times
Congestive Heart Failure 2 years ago, resulting in open heart surgery. Two valves repaired, hole in my heart fixed and heart ablation to help with Atrial Fibrillation. Lucky to still be here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or