U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:10 AM

28 posts, read 15,077 times

Advertisements

I once had a twisted ankle when I was 14/15. I went up a ramp on a scooter I had, stuck my right foot out (why did I do it?) and when I fell on it, it twisted. The pain was horrible, but I managed to limp home by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:22 PM

27,504 posts, read 17,642,239 times
Nothing that compares to some of these things. It makes my heart hurt to think about what you have gone through.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-20-2016, 12:31 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Eight years of chronic hepatitis. At first my immune system was chemically supressed because it was destroying my liver in an attempt eliminate the disease. Later on scientists began experimenting with alpha interferon as a treatment. The results were looking good, but the drug was not released for that use yet. I went to a new doctor who gave me a summary of the experimental literature to read. When I came back he asked, "What do you think?"

I said, "I think it looks terrific, but they are not using a large enough dose in their experiments, and you can see that the larger the dose is the better the results are. And the dose given to people with HIV who have Kaposi's Sarcoma is higher and approved for usage, so they should up it to that level."

He said, "That's exactly what I think! You want to try it?" And I was totally willing.

There were two problems the price in those days was atrocious, and the only approved use was for KS, which would mean that if the doctor were to prescribe it for me, the assumption would be that I had AIDS with Kaposi's Sarcoma. And that would be the kiss of death on my records. So, his solution was to ask those of his patients for whom it hadn't worked and whose insurance had paid for it to give it to him for my use. For the rest I needed he browbeat a drug salesman, who reluctantly gave him some a bit more. So, I have a number of dead patients to thank for my free drugs. Just as he ran out of willing patients and no more drug salesmen who could be browbeaten the drug was legalized for use for hepatitis. It cost something like a thousand a month, which I didn't have. Fortunately, a Buddhist temple loaned me the cash and I repaid them later.

I self-injected subcutaneously five days a week for six months (I think that was the time) and in the end it had worked.

And degenerative disc disease that appears to be a genetic problem judging from the amount of it in my family and the extended family. I have a plate in the cervical spine and two long rods running from my dorsal spine down to my ilium bone where it meets the sacro-lumbar spine. All of this hardware is fastened into the spine with screws, and they are miniature ones. I have about forty screws in all of my spine.

Last edited by kevxu; 05-20-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 AM

101 posts, read 79,885 times
injured back after falling off a slide.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:07 AM

13,010 posts, read 12,445,977 times
Nothing like the stuff here, as I don't remember it. I was born with a collapsed lung and it was touch and go for the first few days. But I've mainly been blessed with robustly good health and very few accidents. I didn't break my first bone until I was 36 (a slight fracture of the elbow). My best friend died of cystic fibrosis, so trust me, I really appreciate my luck.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:18 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,680,616 times
I was in and out of the hospital from age 1 to age 8, with high fevers of 104, malaise, dehydration. I spent 1 week at Booth memorial and the other times it was just an ER visit and they sent me home. When I turned 8 my mom read an article by Doctor Ampolla from Tufts University in Boston. She specialized in pediatrics. I spent a week at that hospital in Boston to finally find out I had Hypoglycemia. It took many years of tests, drugs, IV pokes to find the answer. At one point my mom was giving me vitamin B-12 shots everyday. This was in the early 1970's. One time doctors thought I had Addison's disease another time they thought I had Phenylketonuria which I thinks is a protein deficiency. They were diagnosing me with diseases far worse than low blood sugar. Thanks to Dr. Ampolla all I had was low blood sugar that could be controlled with a proper diet. I have outgrown it and I am a happy, healthy 45 year old woman.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,680,616 times
I have had several injuries.( I was a clumsy kid) When I was about 5. My grandparents had a glass storm door. It was very windy that day I opened the door and it swung back at me shattering glass all over me. I had about 5 little cuts on my one arm and my mom had to pick the glass out of it. I screamed and cried that I did not want to go to the hospital because I had been there so many times. Thankfully the cuts were not deep, the glass came out and I just needed a few band aids. Another time at my grandparents I fell on the side walk and part of the sidewalk was up because of tree roots and the corner went into my knee (could have used a few stiches but a butterfly bandage did the trick.) I still have a scar. Lastly I was upstate at my other grandparents house with my cousin. We went to the pond nearby to fish. ( I was about 7) There was a beaver hole (small ditch) I leaned over to get something and fell head first. I had a black eye. My grandmother yelled at my cousin because she thought he pushed me. He didn't and he felt bad I fell.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:57 PM

13,010 posts, read 12,445,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Nothing like the stuff here, as I don't remember it. I was born with a collapsed lung and it was touch and go for the first few days. But I've mainly been blessed with robustly good health and very few accidents. I didn't break my first bone until I was 36 (a slight fracture of the elbow). My best friend died of cystic fibrosis, so trust me, I really appreciate my luck.
Oh wait - there was one bad one. A window pane fell out of the security door at hte place I was renting and shattered. I was in the process of letting my dogs out, and I didn't want them to get hit by the flying glass, so i moved forward to shoo them away from the door. I managed to walk right into the broken pane and get a few chunks of glass lodged in my hand. Then I ran around the house shrieking and hyperventilating until I could calm down. My Catahoula lost his mind, but the border collies were very cooperative. It was messy.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:17 AM

326 posts, read 114,993 times
Not so much severe as it was uncomfortable. Back in grade school I was thirsty so I asked the teacher if I could get a drink from the water fountain. When I was drinking, I touched the part of the fountain that the water came out of with my mouth and it was bad. I contracted strep throat and had a cough that would not go away for over a week. The bad part was the cough was constant. I literally could not stop coughing for more than a week. My dad finally took me to the hospital where they prescribed me Amoxicillin. The coughing went away shortly after

Old 06-20-2016, 10:18 AM

361 posts, read 255,056 times
About 15 years ago, I had a near 360 twisting injury to my knee from skiing. The bindings didn't break because I wasn't really going that fast, but the ski sunk into some hole, stood straight up and then twisted its way into the snow. It was the craziest thing I had ever seen. I burst the right ski loose, but the left one I was grabbing at it desperately trying to release the boot while standing on one leg until I heard 3 pops...the suddenly my leg was loose enough to get the boot off. Tore the ACL through and through, tore the MCL with only little thread left, slit the meniscus from end to end laterally and I tore, but not too severely, the lateral ligament. Trust me, childbirth 10 years later couldn't even compare to that pain. Not even close.

2 weeks ago I had my appendix removed. I really had no clue except that looking back now I can tell something was wrong. Over the last 6 months or so, every few weeks, I was getting a really sharp stab in my LRQ, and each time I thought, uh oh something must be wrong with my appendix, but then the pain would go away, and I'd have no pain if you pressed the abdomen. A couple weeks ago, I am sitting at my desk drinking coffee and getting ready to work when I suddenly felt like hurling. I stood up and a wave of nausea hit me hard. I packed up and went home. I almost felt silly. The whole ride home (30 mins) I felt ok. As soon as I stood up out of the car, I nearly doubled over in pain. I got to my bedroom and I was panting. I told my husband that I needed to go to the ER; something is really wrong. Got to the ER 15 mins later and they could barely touch my right side. From the liver down, if the wind blew I was yelling out in pain. Within an hour I was being wheeled into surgery. The surgeon says the thing died long ago and had severe gangrene. She was worried about sepsis so I was given 3 different kinds of antibiotics both inpatient and out. Again, the pain was waaaay worse than my 3 deliveries and I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

I am otherwise very healthy. I have no health problems and come from a family that tends to be healthy and live well into their 90's . I had the measles at age 2 and chicken pox at age 3, and I get the flu for some crazy reason every 20 years, but beyond that I am super healthy and in average shape at 47. Knock on wood. :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or