U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:45 PM

101 posts, read 79,847 times

Advertisements

not really picked up any major injuries/illness (touch wood) so would have to go for chicken pox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 03:09 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Well, I'll go with my story and I could be the oldest one here, not sure but close. I'm 78 this summer. I've had a very good no injury life, until 2010 at age 72 elected to do a hip replacement...and omg, talk about damage from that surgery.
Shorter leg outcome, Femoral Nerve Damage and IT band damage.

Then back in the 80's I ended up with sciatic nerve damage from hysterectomy.

So my two injuries in my long life are surgery related. ummm

Old 05-09-2016, 05:01 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,751,065 times
Worst illness... I guess a chronic condition, scoliosis (had spinal fusion surgery). 2nd worst: gallbladder attacks.

Worst injury... probably a dislocated knee. That only lasted a few minutes before it popped back into the socket. Ooh, painful though. I dislocated it when I was around 19, by folding my leg underneath me as I sat down. Things to avoid, children!

Old 05-09-2016, 05:06 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Most serious: meningitis at age 9, spent a week in the hospital

Most scary: just a week and a half ago I woke up and my legs felt weak and numb, struggled to walk. Seriousness ebbed and flowed a couple days and then I woke up with insane leg muscle tremors, the muscles on my thighs looked like ocean waves, thankfully lasted only 20 minutes. The next night I had another tremors that was so bad I could barely move my knees. Wife drove me to ER and I really thought I might die on the way. It wasn't going to kill me but it was terrifying. Was in the hospital 4.5 days (just got out this afternoon) and it was a herniated lower back disc that hit a nerve. I thought I was coming down with ALS or MS. I'll have a battle getting back to 100% but I'm thankful it's something that isn't life threatening.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:25 PM

11,769 posts, read 15,792,846 times
My most painful injury was definitely 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my left arm from above the elbow to the palm in an auto accident about 1990. The scars still sting when the weather changes.

My second most painful injury was a side and back injury from a fall I took while trimming a tree in about 2007. I fell about 13 feet and over a ladder and a trailer fender. The fall very near killed me.

I don't get sick too often but the worse illness I've had was a really bad flu or something similar that rampaged through our D.C. offices and lasting several weeks. That was in the 1990s. It was so bad we thought Fort Detrick may have let something get loose.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:20 AM

44 posts, read 28,992 times
I've had a few bad injuries also.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:27 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Worst was when I was pregnant and my right kidney swelled up (most likely from baby pressing on the right ureter) but at the same time I had appendicitis that was completely missed for a while. Horrific pain plus going through all the procedures - ureteroscopy, J stent, another ureteroscopy (at least this time had a spinal block so I wouldn't feel it), kidney catheter (no anaesthesia for that), having to lie on my back (utter agony) for some nuclear scan and then an MRI, and finally the appendix being spotted so open surgery with a baby kicking my stitches from the inside afterwards. Halfway through that hell I begged the doctors to kill me.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:43 PM

335 posts, read 1,315,448 times
Just got over a very painful and long bout with metatarsalgia (pain in balls of feet). Went from healthy to walking with a cane, then using a knee scooter, then being wheelchair-bound in the span of 8 weeks. Was in the chair 6 weeks; what a miserable time... not being able to do the simplest things that I used to take for granted... like walk from the bedroom to the bathroom, bathe myself without assistance, cook, garden, drive a car, check the mail, etc. Not being able to stand up really turned my world upside down. I am so grateful now every morning that I can get out of bed and feed and bathe myself. I've got work to do to regain my strength and stamina, but the upside of this experience is that I have a better appreciation for what is important in life and what is not.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:38 AM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times
I would say having double pneumonia twice and I swear if I had not gone to the hospital the night I did I probably would have died . I kid you not . Pneumonia is a serious condition and not to be played with . I had never had anything like it and my husband and I had no idea what I had but the look on the drs face told me it was bad I spent three weeks in the hospital and then had to have oxygen therapy at home not a comfy feeling either .

Old 05-13-2016, 01:06 PM

69,261 posts, read 79,447,244 times
I feel pretty lucky to be 79 and in good health. The worst thing to happen to me, was losing our little boy when he was just a day old and needing 6 pints of blood. That was 54 years ago. We had a similar situation a year earlier without needing the blood transfusions. The good news, God sent us 2 wonderful babies to adopt. Our daughter who is almost 53 and our son almost 52 plus we have a biological daughter who is older. Shortly after losing our son we learned I had cervical cancer. Here I am, still hanging in there.

Injury wise; had a bad accident, coming home from college for Christmas break. We rolled the car, I had several broken ribs and broke my sternum. Everything healed well, but oh how I hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or