U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 05:22 AM

3 posts, read 1,023 times

Advertisements

is it dangerous doing an MRI on the brain? I was told there is no radiation but what are some other possible negative side effects and does it matter if it's done with or without contrast? The one the doctor wants me to do is without contrast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 07:11 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,819,609 times
As far as I know (no, I'm not a doctor) there are no dangers or side effects to an MRI scan. There can be allergic reactions to the contrast, but if you aren't having that, no worries.

Having said that, the biggest complication I have with MRI's is the claustrophobia.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:20 PM

438 posts, read 571,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
As far as I know (no, I'm not a doctor) there are no dangers or side effects to an MRI scan. There can be allergic reactions to the contrast, but if you aren't having that, no worries.

Having said that, the biggest complication I have with MRI's is the claustrophobia.
^ Exactly what is said here.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 1,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post

what are the allergic side effects of the contrast and how long will it last? and does this mean without contrast there are no allergic side effects?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:29 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,819,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusneons View Post
what are the allergic side effects of the contrast and how long will it last? and does this mean without contrast there are no allergic side effects?

To be honest, I'm not sure. If you google MRI contrast agents you can look up what they typically use and what the reactions could be.

And yes, without contrast there are no allergic side effects to an MRI. And I don't mean to insult you at all, but you do know what MRI means, right? MRI = Magentic Resonance Imaging. Basically you are put into a "tube" and huge magnets rotate around you to generate an image. You don't see the magnets, but you do hear the noises from the machine. If you aren't allergic to magnets, you will have no allergic reactions to the test itself.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:58 PM

7,328 posts, read 3,770,739 times
Quote:
is it dangerous doing an MRI on the brain? I was told there is no radiation but what are some other possible negative side effects and does it matter if it's done with or without contrast? The one the doctor wants me to do is without contrast.
If you have metal in your brain you might have problem but then again if that is the case you have problem. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the procedure does not use radiation.

Moderator cut: deleted for copyright violation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet...onance_imaging

I've had number of MRI's of my brain and unless you can link Parkinson't to the MRI, I"ve never had an ill-effect from any of them. An MRI is morelikely to save you life than cause you any harm.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-12-2016 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: copyright violation. Just post the link & a snippet.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:01 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,796,114 times
One of the best and safest modern medical diagnostic tools!

Old 05-11-2016, 03:18 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,435,002 times
Quote:
No ionizing radiation is correct. You will be questioned on any metal in your body along with a medical history. Any history of metal in your eyes usually requires an x-ray before the MRI. Any implants are rated as safe, unsafe or conditional and will be assessed before you go in the magnetic field. Even though MRI's are considered safe, many facilities will not scan pregnant women in the first trimester unless deemed a medical necessity/emergency.

As far as contrast, like all medications, you can have an allergic reaction ranging from a headache, nausea, rash to full anaphalactic shock and death. The reaction rates are low as seen here:
http://www.mrisafety.com/SafetyInfov...fetyInfoID=245

There is also recent concerns about gadolium, the contrast ingredient, being left in the body/brain after scans in research studies and whether there are clinical effects from it.
https://www.propublica.org/article/l...from-mri-drugs

Having contrast is not always helpful, your medical history and what your doctor is ruling out will determine if it's needed. If your doctor has ordered the scan without contrast, your insurance authorization will be for that only and you will not get contrast.

Whether an MRI is dangerous depends on how capable you are of giving a complete history of surgeries, implants and any possible metal in your body and whether you are having it done at an accredited MRI outpatient facility/hospital with licensed technologists and board certified radiologists to read the scan.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-11-2016 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness