U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you manage your wellness?
I eat right, exercise, learn new things, take supplements, and get rest 7 100.00%
I wait for something to go wrong, and then go to the doctor 0 0%
I just push through... no pain no gain.. besides, nobody lives forever 0 0%
I don't worry about it, I am doing better than most of my friends 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 PM

76 posts, read 232,547 times

Advertisements

the absence of pain, or the absence of symptoms is not wellness. so.. my question is this...
how do you define wellness?
i have had people tell me their dexa score was "still normal" so they are healthy.... but how fast are they losing bone? and at what point are they not healthy?
i have heard people say they are healthy but they have digestive problems.. i have even heard some one tell me recently, they are healthy... they just had " a quadruple bypass, they have diverticulitus, cataracts, and bone disease! but they are healthy?
as a wellness coach... or some one who focuses on wellness rather than symptom management (there are lots of us out there... MDs, DO's, DC's DOM's, ND's)... i find it difficult to help people, when they do not think they have a problem. the old "if it aint broke, don't fix it" rule.
the problem is, things like cardiovascular disease may be much easier to try to prevent, rather than to reverse.
so how do you define wellness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM

5,115 posts, read 10,033,334 times
Trying hard to prevent illness! Eat a varied vegetarian diet, get exercise and sleep and avoid stress and carcinogens, when possible.
Staying healthy is my biggest concern, because without health, nothing else matters.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 AM
Status: "No, I do not think I have all the answers..." (set 15 hours ago)

9,754 posts, read 21,607,534 times
I'll second the vegetarian diet. And the exercise, sleep, avoid stress. Take some supplements instead of prescription pills.
In fact, avoid pharmaceuticals like the plague. There is nothing worse than them to shorten your lifespan considerably. I hear the argument all the time from people that insist that pills save their lives. They need to educate themselves about the dangers of choosing pills over lifestyle changes.

I read a story recently about a woman who just reached 108. She gets regular exercise, doesn't smoke or drink, does not take any medication whatsover and feels great. Something to strive for.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:16 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,894,180 times
I define wellness as a continuum. At one end is energy, happiness, sense of well being, etc. At the other end is fatigue, depression, chronic disease, etc. I hope I am toward the higher end of energy, but does take work in a society hell bent on making and keeping us sick. So am always working toward staying up at that end of the spectrum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness