Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:39 AM

2,503 posts, read 2,072,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
How is your kidney function? I'm asking as a person and RN with kidney disease (with a new kidney that's working great, btw).

People with kidney disease can't absorb Vit D, which means you can take it orally, hang out in the sun and your levels will still be low. If your creatinine level is high (from kidneys not working well) the build up in your blood can cause memory problems as well. Also, I would have to wear a sweater if it dropped below 72 degrees (chronic anemia caused by failing kidneys). I'm definitely NOT saying you have a problem with your kidneys, but maybe check with your MD about past kidney function lab values?

I was just going to mention this, as I have kidney disease also. And I have to take D3. I was taking a prescription the doctor gave me, and it worked great. But due to finances, I switched to OTC Costco brand the doc suggested...waiting to see how it's doing in my body.

When it works, I can really tell the diff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 08:59 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If you bathe before going in the sun, you are washing off the oils that turn sunlight into Vit. D....sunscreen stops it, too!

Just take the Vit. D tablets.....your body needs D, and you're not getting enough!
If I may add, Vit. D also needs to be taken with a fat to digest properly.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:08 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
There are MANY quality Vit D3 other than Costco which I feel are inferior in quality so they can sell so cheaply. My thoughts and I've been using supps for years and not a rich person. K2 is needed for D absorption.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:28 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There are MANY quality Vit D3 other than Costco which I feel are inferior in quality so they can sell so cheaply. My thoughts and I've been using supps for years and not a rich person. K2 is needed for D absorption.
What do you base this on? Costco products are widely recognized as high quality and all the Kirkland supplement products (to my knowledge) are USP Certified.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:49 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,909 times
Last Saturday I started sunbathing for about ten minutes a day, several times a week. My doctor also prescribed D2 to be taken once a week. I've got to do bloodwork in a few weeks and check back with him.

I think my memory issues aren't related to D deficiency, or not correctable by it. I still have the same memory problems. They might be a little better, but I still have problems remembering things.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:18 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
You should be taking D3, not D2, no matter what your doctor prescribed.

And it's far too soon to conclude that your issues aren't influenced by D deficiency! Even with proper supplementation, it can take months to build your blood levels up to where they should be. Keep getting bloodwork done and if your levels aren't going up, increase the amount you're taking. Blood levels should be between 50 and 70 to see the benefits.

Vitamin D supplementation has helped me tremendously with my immune system and with general aches and pains. I've been taking it for 8 years now. I used to get frequent colds, flu, sore throats--not any more. My back used to hurt when I lay down--not any more.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:53 PM

I could not believe how deficient I was in 2006 when the lightbulb lite up...I live in sunny so cal. but the sun don't shine on our computers while we sit at them. D3 is what you want to take, D2 is inferior and the only D that can be made by pharma for scripts. K2 is important too for best absorption with the D3. I can take months to build up as when I found my level so low, I took 4K D3 for six months and went from 16 to 34....I take it daily and most days 5K and some days 10K with K2. I actually got up to 80 and then after hip replacement it dropped 40 pts...I had read that the D drops with surgery, and sure enough mine did, big time.

I felt really good at 80 and now feel like crap since hip surgery...honestly...it's been bad for me.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:42 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,909 times
I think I'm going to look for a D3 and a separate K2 supplement. Separate supplements seem the way to go, just because I can alter how much I take easier.

I used to get K2 from fermented foods but I don't eat those often enough and I suspect its not a reliable source.

I don't know my actual blood levels. The doctor prescribed 10,000 iu, 1 time per week.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:48 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post

I don't know my actual blood levels. The doctor prescribed 10,000 iu, 1 time per week.
Always ask the lab to send a copy of the results to you at home.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-19-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I think I'm going to look for a D3 and a separate K2 supplement. Separate supplements seem the way to go, just because I can alter how much I take easier.

I used to get K2 from fermented foods but I don't eat those often enough and I suspect its not a reliable source.

I've talked to so many Vit D deficient people and many who see conventional MD's are given a script of 50K D2 when they are really tanked out on Vit D. Like almost depleted. I think the 50K D2 (inferior) anyway was to be taken one a week. One can buy 50K caps of the D3 from supp companies. I buy 5K softgels and K2 softgels separate.

I was never deficient when I was in the sun a LOT up to my early 50's...and then found how depleted I was after I left the sun life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness