U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 PM

730 posts, read 503,309 times

Advertisements

I doubled checked and the prescription is for 50K iu... so my D levels must be below 30 ng/ml. I wouldn't be surprised if my levels were very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 07:36 AM

34,536 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I went to a cardiologist for some tests and we got to talking about Vitamin D. He is super fit and a bit of a fanatic, but he is of the belief that nearly everyone is deficient in Vitamin D, and that it is so important to the body's proper function. He called it "the lube" for many organs. I live in GA, and the example he used is that a roofer in GA might have an adequate level of D, but most people can not get enough from the sun.

I didn't get tested, but started taking it, because I figured it couldn't hurt, and I have realized that I do not suffer from the same sleeping problems I did before, which were waking up in the middle of the night and tossing and turning and stewing for hours.

Part of me is skeptical, because we are generations past the farming, and hunting/gathering cultures that would have exposed our ancestors to the sun, and civilization has managed to go on without everyone taking D. I can't argue with the results, though.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:57 AM

18,775 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I went to a cardiologist for some tests and we got to talking about Vitamin D. He is super fit and a bit of a fanatic, but he is of the belief that nearly everyone is deficient in Vitamin D, and that it is so important to the body's proper function. He called it "the lube" for many organs. I live in GA, and the example he used is that a roofer in GA might have an adequate level of D, but most people can not get enough from the sun.

I didn't get tested, but started taking it, because I figured it couldn't hurt, and I have realized that I do not suffer from the same sleeping problems I did before, which were waking up in the middle of the night and tossing and turning and stewing for hours.

Part of me is skeptical, because we are generations past the farming, and hunting/gathering cultures that would have exposed our ancestors to the sun, and civilization has managed to go on without everyone taking D. I can't argue with the results, though.
Farmers, migrant farm workers, construction workers, beach bums are probably good with Vit D, the rest of the population....good grief. I know I was fine until my early 50's when I came in from the sun, I was a beach bum. Major Vit D deficiency is rampant above GA.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-30-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 05:21 PM

706 posts, read 396,311 times
So did your doctor test your blood levels? If so, you should ask them what they were. My score was so low at one time that it was off the chart. They can't measure under 7ng/ml. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I have been experiencing memory loss that I first noticed 3 months ago, at age 40. I really was looking for a prescription for Piracetam, which I used to take when it was a non-regulated substance, just to boost my mental abilities and stay sharp... but its also good for memory decline. And I also wanted my B-12 levels checked, but he suggested a blood test first. I had trouble remembering where I put my wallet or keys, or what I did a few days ago. I tried taking some B-12 patches I ordered, and that helped some. I did ask him also about B-12 status and the possibility of self-injection, but he said my levels are fine (but the blood test was about a week after I wore a patch and took several B-12 pills).
If your memory problems don't resolve once your D levels increase (to between 45-100 ng/ml), I would look into lion's mane medicinal mushrooms and extra-virgin coconut oil. I have had to use the lion's mane and it really did make a noticeable difference. Coconut oil is a great supplement for Alzheimer's patients, so you could incorporate that into your diet and probably see benefit (maybe only in the long run if you don't use very much, like me).

Quote:
I can't eat caesin (dairy) or wheat because I have gluten and casein intolerance. So my guess is I have limited dietary exposure, even though I thought organic butter was a good source (it isn't apparently). I tended to buy the organic kind of eggs because it had more vitamin D, but lately I haven't been eating eggs, just eating a Luna bar in the morning because I want to lose a bit of weight. I was really worried about my B-12 status because of the possibility of having a silent celiac condition (blood tests are negative but I do have the gene for it and I seem to react to wheat and dairy). I also haven't been eating as much fish except when I go to the Chinese buffet once a week or so and get some salmon or shrimp, both of which are supposed to have some Vitamin D.
Instinctively, I thought of krill oil when I read that paragraph, even though you are speaking of vitamin D here. I take it instead of fish oils since the later are usually contaminated. My guess is that you could use some. But seeing how you don't know me, feel free to ignore my gut feeling. Lol.

Also, you might look into digestive enzymes for gluten and casein if you are wanting to eat foods that contain them. Enzymedica has a blend that is for both of those in one supplement. Another thing you might consider is going organic, if you haven't already. Much of the gluten intolerance of today can actually be attributed to conventionally-grown grains. I've heard that many people are able to eat gluten after switching to organic diets. It likely has to do with the Roundup being sprayed during the season and also at harvest. Organic food is better all around, since pesticides are being shown to cause a whole host of illnesses, including neuro problems.

If you *really* miss bread and want to experiment, try the organic Einkorn wheat and make your own bread. It's an "ancient grain" that has different chromosomes than modern wheat. If you use a starter for your rising agent, all the better, since you would then be avoiding the instant yeasts so common in today's bread (that's also being blamed for the rise in GI and celiac).

Quote:
Low D seems odd because I don't spend all my life indoors, I get about 8 hours of sun exposure a week playing airsoft, and I walk to the local grocery store about 1/4 mile a few times a week. I usually wear long sleeves, pants and gloves playing airsoft, but usually my face, back of my neck and parts of my hands get some sun at the end of a day outside (they are tanning slightly). The sun down here in Orlando, Florida is intense, if I didn't wear a hat, I'd feel like my face was cooking. I hate the feeling of the sun in the summer on my arms, too, the UV index is usually close to 11 (tropical), so I tend to wear long sleeves- plus I have a scar on my arm that shouldn't be exposed to sunlight. And if I don't wear enough clothes down here, when I go into a store or other public place with air conditioning... I feel like I'm overly chilled and its just miserable.
Technically, that's not enough sun exposure. That's according to the vitamin D-literate doctors. They say you should expose more skin than that. Since you have sun sensitivity issues like myself, I would rely mostly on supplements for your vit D.

Quote:
The doctor wants me to take Vitamin D as a prescription, but I'm thinking maybe Cod Liver Oil would be better, because I've heard prescription D2 isn't as healthy as D3.
Cod liver oil isn't the best way to bring up a vitamin D deficiency because of the vitamin A content in the oil (and the contamination of most brands). The two vitamins use the same receptors, so if you want to bring up vitamin D, then you don't want vitamin A to interfere. I started taking Superior Source sublingual D3 for my supplement. I was skeptical on whether it would work or not, so I made sure to get a proper test first. I supplemented every day for like 3 months and then got the same test performed. My level had gone up so far that they made a note on my results telling me not to let it go so high. Lol. So I know that brand works well. I reduced my dose, of course, and finally have it about figured out. I need 20,000 IU or more to maintain a blood level above 45 ng/ml. My multivitamin has 1000 IU, so I make up the rest with the Superior Source on Sunday mornings (3 of the 5000 IU tabs). I use magnesium and plant calcium to balance out the D3 and K2 (my multi has K).

I would also look into iodine deficiency if I had cognitive problems since that can be a sign of lack in that nutrient. A good site to learn about the balance of all the minerals is this one:

Tin Iodine DRI/RDA, benefits, side effects, overdose, toxicity, requirements

Old 06-04-2016, 12:03 AM

2,731 posts, read 1,956,081 times
I know people who eat meat but still take B-vitamins and their memory is sharp as knife. I know a person who does not eat meat, blood tests wont show any problems but eating B-vitamins made a difference for memorizing.

Many people swear for B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or