Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 12:43 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times

Advertisements

I have been experiencing memory loss that I first noticed 3 months ago, at age 40. I really was looking for a prescription for Piracetam, which I used to take when it was a non-regulated substance, just to boost my mental abilities and stay sharp... but its also good for memory decline. And I also wanted my B-12 levels checked, but he suggested a blood test first. I had trouble remembering where I put my wallet or keys, or what I did a few days ago. I tried taking some B-12 patches I ordered, and that helped some. I did ask him also about B-12 status and the possibility of self-injection, but he said my levels are fine (but the blood test was about a week after I wore a patch and took several B-12 pills).

I can't eat caesin (dairy) or wheat because I have gluten and casein intolerance. So my guess is I have limited dietary exposure, even though I thought organic butter was a good source (it isn't apparently). I tended to buy the organic kind of eggs because it had more vitamin D, but lately I haven't been eating eggs, just eating a Luna bar in the morning because I want to lose a bit of weight. I was really worried about my B-12 status because of the possibility of having a silent celiac condition (blood tests are negative but I do have the gene for it and I seem to react to wheat and dairy). I also haven't been eating as much fish except when I go to the Chinese buffet once a week or so and get some salmon or shrimp, both of which are supposed to have some Vitamin D.

Low D seems odd because I don't spend all my life indoors, I get about 8 hours of sun exposure a week playing airsoft, and I walk to the local grocery store about 1/4 mile a few times a week. I usually wear long sleeves, pants and gloves playing airsoft, but usually my face, back of my neck and parts of my hands get some sun at the end of a day outside (they are tanning slightly). The sun down here in Orlando, Florida is intense, if I didn't wear a hat, I'd feel like my face was cooking. I hate the feeling of the sun in the summer on my arms, too, the UV index is usually close to 11 (tropical), so I tend to wear long sleeves- plus I have a scar on my arm that shouldn't be exposed to sunlight. And if I don't wear enough clothes down here, when I go into a store or other public place with air conditioning... I feel like I'm overly chilled and its just miserable.

The doctor wants me to take Vitamin D as a prescription, but I'm thinking maybe Cod Liver Oil would be better, because I've heard prescription D2 isn't as healthy as D3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 06:54 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
I would follow your doctors advice or ask him about your concerns. IMO between the two of you, you both know your body best and can determine the best course of action for you better than a bunch of strangers on a message board.

In my case, my doctor had me take prescription D for sort of a quick boost then moved me onto OTC vitamin D. I live in Florida too - it's not the sunlight that makes your body low in vitamin D it's probably that your body processes it differently or doesn't absorb it at the proper rate (too fast or too slow).

Old 05-11-2016, 08:17 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
The doctor told my husband to just go to the drugstore and buy D3. I think you're right about D2 not working as well so there's something we don't understand here. Everything I've read says it's D3 that people need. They're easy capsules to take, just take them with some fatty food for good absorption since D3 is fat soluble. On an empty stomach I don't think it would do much good.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:25 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Cod liver oil is an excellent option IF you can find a good quality, trustworthy source. The problem with salmon and other large fish is that we are supposed to limit consumption to once a week because of mercury levels. A better alternative is sardines for vit D, calcium, omega 3 and other nutrients. You can eat them 3-4 times a week. Some people can't stand the taste but they taste better than cod liver oil. You could also try looking up the other foods rich in vit D and add them to your diet too. Food is a better source than supplements and your overall diet and health would likely improve.

Your face and hand exposure is probably just not enough surface area for the limited time you are in the sun. If you are using sunscreen, you are blocking it. Also, I don't know if this is applicable to you but the darker the skin, the longer exposure it takes to absorb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I have been experiencing memory loss that I first noticed 3 months ago, at age 40. I really was looking for a prescription for Piracetam, which I used to take when it was a non-regulated substance, just to boost my mental abilities and stay sharp... but its also good for memory decline. And I also wanted my B-12 levels checked, but he suggested a blood test first. I had trouble remembering where I put my wallet or keys, or what I did a few days ago. I tried taking some B-12 patches I ordered, and that helped some. I did ask him also about B-12 status and the possibility of self-injection, but he said my levels are fine (but the blood test was about a week after I wore a patch and took several B-12 pills).

I can't eat caesin (dairy) or wheat because I have gluten and casein intolerance. So my guess is I have limited dietary exposure, even though I thought organic butter was a good source (it isn't apparently). I tended to buy the organic kind of eggs because it had more vitamin D, but lately I haven't been eating eggs, just eating a Luna bar in the morning because I want to lose a bit of weight. I was really worried about my B-12 status because of the possibility of having a silent celiac condition (blood tests are negative but I do have the gene for it and I seem to react to wheat and dairy). I also haven't been eating as much fish except when I go to the Chinese buffet once a week or so and get some salmon or shrimp, both of which are supposed to have some Vitamin D.

Low D seems odd because I don't spend all my life indoors, I get about 8 hours of sun exposure a week playing airsoft, and I walk to the local grocery store about 1/4 mile a few times a week. I usually wear long sleeves, pants and gloves playing airsoft, but usually my face, back of my neck and parts of my hands get some sun at the end of a day outside (they are tanning slightly). The sun down here in Orlando, Florida is intense, if I didn't wear a hat, I'd feel like my face was cooking. I hate the feeling of the sun in the summer on my arms, too, the UV index is usually close to 11 (tropical), so I tend to wear long sleeves- plus I have a scar on my arm that shouldn't be exposed to sunlight. And if I don't wear enough clothes down here, when I go into a store or other public place with air conditioning... I feel like I'm overly chilled and its just miserable.

The doctor wants me to take Vitamin D as a prescription, but I'm thinking maybe Cod Liver Oil would be better, because I've heard prescription D2 isn't as healthy as D3.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:34 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
How is your kidney function? I'm asking as a person and RN with kidney disease (with a new kidney that's working great, btw).

People with kidney disease can't absorb Vit D, which means you can take it orally, hang out in the sun and your levels will still be low. If your creatinine level is high (from kidneys not working well) the build up in your blood can cause memory problems as well. Also, I would have to wear a sweater if it dropped below 72 degrees (chronic anemia caused by failing kidneys). I'm definitely NOT saying you have a problem with your kidneys, but maybe check with your MD about past kidney function lab values?

Old 05-11-2016, 10:53 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I was a sunbather at the beach most of my life before my early 50's and then the sun started to bother me. So I came in from the sun pretty much. I read somewhere one can take in 40K or was it 20K, I forget, units of D3 with a day at the beach in a tiny bathing suit. I came up deficient in 2006 and worked to get my levels up with D3 and K2. I get the Vit D Council email monthly. You can subscribe.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:06 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Your face and hand exposure is probably just not enough surface area for the limited time you are in the sun. If you are using sunscreen, you are blocking it. Also, I don't know if this is applicable to you but the darker the skin, the longer exposure it takes to absorb.

I didn't usually use sunscreen on my face, but I was getting enough indirect exposure on my skin I could really feel it at the end of the day.

The sun is so intense here I'm honestly surprised anybody would be Vitamin D deficient, so this has been an eye-opening experience. I'm guessing it takes a lot of sun exposure to stave off D deficiency, enough that sunburn and skin aging would be a big concern. I really like the fact that I'm one of the few Floridians that looks younger than my age, and I've seen what the sun does to skin down here long term.

Another thing I have experienced in the past few years - more frequent colds, increased asthma symptoms (I apparently developed mild asthma, esp. with exercise), and I developed fibromyalgia at age 35. I became gluten and casein intolerant a few years ago after being given antibiotics to try to tread IBS (I had all the symptoms of Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth). My diet is very different from what is "standard", and its very hard to get vitamin D when you can't eat cheese or milk (the only foods that seem fortified with it). Organic eggs seem like my best source and I may try adding that in for breakfast, even though I'm basically a non-cooking type person except maybe doing one meal a day for lunch or supper.

I've been reading Vitamin D does a lot for the immune system, especially in cases of auto-immunity, so a lot of my problems make sense.

I will ask my doctor about kidney disease. 5 years ago I had a bad bladder infection and it was trying to spread to my kidneys, but none of the doctors I have gone to have told me my kidneys were compromised.

I'm white but my skin type is what my grandfather used to call "Black Dutch", sort of a very pale olive complexion. I tan very easily.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:26 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
If you bathe before going in the sun, you are washing off the oils that turn sunlight into Vit. D....sunscreen stops it, too!

Just take the Vit. D tablets.....your body needs D, and you're not getting enough!

Old 05-12-2016, 04:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Take 5,000 iu of D3 daily. Lower doses aren't as effective.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:19 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Go buy these. Take them.

Kirkland Signature

Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness