U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 72 times

Advertisements

My, almost sixteen year old son has the worst chapped lips I've ever seen. He has a Snapchat collage of his "greatest hits."

He has alway had chapped lips (I have as well) but I've never had the open sores. We were prescribed antibiotic cream, but that stopped working.

We visited a Dermatologist and his culture came back as staph. He's been prescribed Mupirocin 2% ointment and Cephalexin.

It is my belief that some people are carriers. Does that mean the infection will always return.

Right now I, 53 year old female, have a boil. Does anyone know if they can do more work on the strains? Is this common?

Will this condition affect my son the rest of his life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 06:01 PM

1,833 posts, read 682,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
My, almost sixteen year old son has the worst chapped lips I've ever seen. He has a Snapchat collage of his "greatest hits."

He has alway had chapped lips (I have as well) but I've never had the open sores. We were prescribed antibiotic cream, but that stopped working.

We visited a Dermatologist and his culture came back as staph. He's been prescribed Mupirocin 2% ointment and Cephalexin.

It is my belief that some people are carriers. Does that mean the infection will always return.

Right now I, 53 year old female, have a boil. Does anyone know if they can do more work on the strains? Is this common?

Will this condition affect my son the rest of his life?

We're all colonized on our skin by Staph so a culture of a skin sore growing out Staph shouldn't be too amazing. Intact skin is the best defense against Staph infection. Any crack in the skin, be it from a Herpes virus sore, trauma or dried skin, allows the Staph to enter and cause problems. When the doc sends a specimen to the lab, they grow out the bug in the presence of different antibiotics. That tells them which meds may work and which will not. (culture & sensitivity)

It's up to your own immune system to kill off an infection. Antibiotics only help lower the number of bugs your system has to deal with, reducing the chances that the infection gets out of hand and overwhelms you-- a big consideration if your immune system is impaired by other illnesses in general ("lowered resistance") or leukemia, malnutrition, AIDS & such. Certain genetic types also have more trouble with Staph than "normal."

MRSA (methicillin resistant S.aureus or more recently, Multiply resistant S. aureus) causes the same infections, no better, no worse, than "regular" Staph. It's just that we have fewer choices of antibiotics with which to help you out of your predicament.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 PM

19,615 posts, read 6,500,984 times
OP: I just came out of an Infectious Disease mess only it was my knee and it was all internal but for me I believe and not sure, was from an injection. Once the doctors finally found the infection thru an MRI, I was with a group of doctors in Infectious Disease. They found the abx drug for me and thru IV it took about 2.5 months to cure, I hope it's gone.

What doctor are you seeing for your son?

The poster before me seems to know a lot of science on the staph issue, I do not, but do know how important it is to have a strong immune system. I have that as I take powerful antioxidants for over 2 decades, daily, these are important and otherwise I'm healthy. And I'm 80.

On the boil, I never had one but I remember a friend yrs ago always had them. I know she didn't take any antioxidants, I know her. I'd think too having a strong immune system is important to ward off boils. You can do some google work on that.

I keep my lips lubricated and use Vicks on them every night before sleep. Plus there are 100's of chap type sticks, so they are everywhere.

Hope you can get control of the issue and get your son on a good track and take care of the chap issue.

Just reading thru this thread and much talk about cold sores, and thinking back to my mother and she used to get them all the time and also a lot of colds. Once I had her taking the powerful antioxidant I found and was taking, she got no more cold sores or colds. Her immune system was stronger and she was quite old at that time.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-05-2018 at 07:13 PM..

Old Today, 09:54 AM

1,508 posts, read 1,416,931 times
Jamin,
Chaptsticks, Vaseline and the like are not really "lubricating and hydrating" the lips as they contain ingriendents like phenol, menthol, and salicylic acid that pulls moisture from the lip. They need to have occlusive ingredients, in conjuction, to add a barrrier to keep moisture in. Thing like shea butter or beeswax (My derm recommends Burt's Bees).

"Cold sores" are nothing more than Herpes Simplex I and they often occure in tadem with another virus, such as a head cold. The addition of antioxidants may have helped boost her immune system. But her Herpes I virus was not cured just contained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or