U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:14 AM

11,392 posts, read 6,806,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Instead of spending a lot of money to push milk on the public, why didn't farmers ever cut back on production, and diversify? How hard is that?
It can be very hard if a man is trying to raise a family on 100 acres of land, and is totally dependent upon a "milk check"; it happened only rarely, but on a few occasions, I saw my father dump a days' worth of production because no market could be found. The availability of employment for a spouse has eased this in recent years, but dairying remains one of the most demanding forms of economic activity, in terms of its demands on the entrepreneur -- probably the biggest factor behind the "factory farms" so regularly condemned here by self-righteous and sheltered urbanites who have little idea of actual conditions in American agriculture.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-15-2016 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 09:29 AM

4,860 posts, read 3,723,034 times
I do not drink milk, but I eat only real butter, real cream, plain unsweetened yogurt, unsweetened kefir, real cream cheese, real sour cream, cheese....all good things to have on hand when eating low carb!

I eat some cheese, kefir, and butter every day.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:38 AM

8,198 posts, read 7,489,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I love cheese and butter and consume copious amounts without apology.
This!!

I also love organic skim milk.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:40 AM

5,516 posts, read 3,370,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We are the only beings that drink cow's milk on and on after weaned from our mother's breasts.
Most mammals will consume milk after being weaned...if they can get it. The problem is, humans are the only mammals who have figured it out how to get it. Try giving some cow's milk to your cat, dog, or chimpanzee. They will love you for it.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:41 AM

72,865 posts, read 64,312,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Because most people like their product as is and are happy to purchase and consume it?
You missed the point. People weren't as into milk historically, according to the film. The industry had to market its product to schools, hospitals, and the military, because it was producing an excess. The public wasn't all that interested. So instead of roping the government into helping it push the product on people, why not cut back on production, and diversify? Did you watch the video?

Old 05-15-2016, 09:53 AM

4,860 posts, read 3,723,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Most mammals will consume milk after being weaned...if they can get it. The problem is, humans are the only mammals who have figured it out how to get it. Try giving some cow's milk to your cat, dog, or chimpanzee. They will love you for it.
But their digestive system (cats' digestive systems, in particular) will NOT love you for it. Many cats are lactose intolerant and will reward you by expelling foul smelling loose stools. I've never given my cats or dog milk (as I don't drink it either).

Can't speak for chimpanzees, though, as I've never had one of those....

I will say my dog LOVES yogurt, kefir, and cheese. And the cats will lick the butter if it's left open on the counter.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 AM

15,005 posts, read 16,568,235 times
I don't need to. I choose to.

If you think dairy is the only unnecessary product that is spun to sound essential by its corporate advocates, don't kid yourself. You don't need any one source of nutrition whether it be beans, bananas, beef, or soy. There are really no unhealthy foods, only unhealthy habits like overeating, undereating, or absence of an essential nutrient in a diet.

Oh, and I have perfectly normal mucus production.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 AM

11,392 posts, read 6,806,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You missed the point. People weren't as into milk historically, according to the film. The industry had to market its product to schools, hospitals, and the military, because it was producing an excess. The public wasn't all that interested. So instead of roping the government into helping it push the product on people, why not cut back on production, and diversify? Did you watch the video?
There was no "industry" as those with a mindset to view all entrepreneurship and capitalism as evil seek to depict it. Small "co-operative dairies" in which local farmers banded together to store, and find markets to address the natural rise and fall in both production and consumption, were a natural, market-driven outcome. Some of those enterprises became quite large and powerful, but not in the mold of an enterprise geared to manufacturing and distributing a non-perishable product. When large surpluses arose, the product could then be diverted as "manufacturing milk" and sold at a lower price. Cheese production was the most obvious alternative, and as with ice cream, could be adapted to a mass market with both increasing discretionary income, and increasingly-sophisticated tastes.

The publication linked below has been the standard-bearer of dwindling numbers of family farmers for well over a century -- sat on my Dad's desk for years, though he seldom found time to read it; hard to recognize, sometimes, that it dates back to before the time of milking machines, mechanical barn cleaners, and artificial breeding.

http://www.hoards.com/

The "family farm" as envisioned in the minds of various fringe environmental and consumerist groups, is workable, but only to small fringe markets. The weight of numbers alone mandates that the portion of the public which, even when paid a generous, but fixed salary lives from check-to-check, and will continue to purchase from the small number of dominant market players.

I grew up in the 1960's; my circle of family and close friends included both small farmers and educators in the much smaller and less-centralized school districts of that time. And one feature of those days was the distribution of "surplus food" -- almost always manufactured, semi- or non-perishable products like cheese and peanut butter, to those school districts. Those channels of distribution are no longer here, or at least, much smaller -- and while I tend to take the "survivalist" disaster scenarios with a very large grain of salt, one can't help but note that this was a resource which would come in handy in the event of major disruptions in our supply chain; a prospect which seems somewhat more plausible as civility within our society continues to deteriorate.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-15-2016 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 10:45 AM

18,919 posts, read 6,185,164 times
My grand dog loves coconut OIL and her coat shows it. She may get a little coconut milk on occasion.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:01 AM

18,055 posts, read 17,191,107 times
I LOVE dairy products. Unfortunately, I became allergic to them. Now I take calcium pills to make sure I get enough.

Back when I used to be congested and coughing all the time, a nurse told me that dairy products could cause this. I didn't believe her and it was years before some allergist finally got around to testing me for foods. YIKES! Emergency phone call from their office telling me to never eat a dairy product again in my life!

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with dairy products--except for the fact that often they contain hormones and there's no labeling required for that. I do think dairy is pushed by the government too much though and it's appalling when you try to eat out and EVERYTHING on the menu has milk, cream, some dairy product in it. The desserts are all dairy too. Don't know the reason for that. Maybe that's what people want.

I cook at home substituting almond, coconut, rice, milks for the dairy. Tastes fine to me but it's probably too expensive for restaurants to do this. One thing about being allergic to dairy, I'm not overweight from all that ice cream and cheese, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or