U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 AM

18,861 posts, read 6,167,967 times

Advertisements

I don't know that grown cats drink milk, but remember when my grandma would put out milk for the kittens being born all over our property. Don't see grown animals seeking out milk in the wilds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 11:51 AM

1,278 posts, read 832,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't know that grown cats drink milk, but remember when my grandma would put out milk for the kittens being born all over our property. Don't see grown animals seeking out milk in the wilds.
adult animals in the wild are smart enough to know that they will get a bad case of diarrhea if consume milk. domestic animals don't know any better and eat what their owners trained them to. dogs and cats are lactose intolerant after puppyhood. 2-3 cups of vanilla ice cream, and you'll have a nice mess.

cheese is generally ok, as it has a low lactose content.

also, dogs fed milk throughout adult life have a higher chance of general disease especially gastrointestinal and abdominal via continual stressed system.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:54 AM

1,660 posts, read 877,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I take it you have never owned a cat.
sure I have but cats only get dairy when they live with humans.....the only mammals who don't think they need to be weened. Cats in the wild, Lions Tigers, cougars, Bobcats, you name it, are not consuming dairy.
We as humans are able to because of our advanced abilities but that doesn't mean its natural.

And to repeat my earlier post I have not weened myself....Had some ice cream yesterday.

Last edited by craig11152; 05-16-2016 at 12:45 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 01:55 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,873,708 times
You could always get a DNA test and check your status on this:
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs4988235

You can also see frequencies of various ethnic groups halfway down the page.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:27 PM

11,068 posts, read 11,469,953 times
Quote:
When I was milking cows by hand, the adult cats all lined up to get a squirt of milk in their mouths. The reason cats don't drink milk is that they don't have fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llC0SxW1kvU

Old 05-16-2016, 02:30 PM

5,508 posts, read 3,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
adult animals in the wild are smart enough to know that they will get a bad case of diarrhea if consume milk. domestic animals don't know any better and eat what their owners trained them to. dogs and cats are lactose intolerant after puppyhood. 2-3 cups of vanilla ice cream, and you'll have a nice mess.
2-3 cups of ice cream and I'd be a mess too, and I'm not even lactose intolerant.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:40 PM

9,121 posts, read 3,936,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
No it doesn't....myth

Not sure how "we are the only beings....yada...yada...yada... is even relevant to a discussion on nutrition or any health matters..

What other "beings" are in discussion? Aliens?

Are we talking animals??

You drink coffee according to your post...

What other "beings" on earth drink coffee?? My dog doesn't.......

I think what the poster was trying to get across is we are the only species that continues to drink milk of another species AFTER WE ARE WEANED. I'm sure we don't need to consume so much diary. We also don't need to consume so much sugar, white bread, etc.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:36 PM

19,884 posts, read 36,406,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post

cheese is generally ok, as it has a low lactose content.

also, dogs fed milk throughout adult life have a higher chance of general disease especially gastrointestinal and abdominal via continual stressed system.
Interesting how after 60-odd years of cats and dogs consuming milk that we've never had that problem. We don't, of course, give them vast amounts of it, but the equivalent of what for us would be a glass occasionally. The inevitable problems you describe have yet to occur.

Two to three cups of vanilla ice cream is a LOT to give an animal (even a human), and it contains a lot besides milk. I think maybe your bias is coloring your analysis of the problem.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:38 PM

14,974 posts, read 16,548,069 times
Quote:
Predators don't single out lactating prey, but lions and wolves have been seen consuming the mammaries and their contents of prey animals.

No they are not going out and milking them, but carnivores eat every and all soft tissue and fluid from their prey.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:53 PM

3,981 posts, read 2,969,746 times
Dairy and eggs are just ways of getting animal protein without killing the animal. I don't think there's cause to overcomplicate it. If a person tolerates dairy well, and is eating an appropriate amount of calories in an appropriate balance, it's a good source of various nutrients. If they don't tolerate dairy well, then they can get those same nutrients elsewhere.

The trope about humans being the only animal that consumes milk as adults isn't totally true. Animals will consume other animals' milk in the wild - it's just rare, which is understandable. Both the behavior and the ability to process the milk wouldn't be selected for, as wild animals' milk isn't a reliable food source and also because it's kind of, you know, potentially dangerous to obtain, lol. But there are some birds, for example, that steal milk from mammals with which they have mutually beneficial relationships. Probably other examples if one cared to dig a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have to say, I have truly never understood this argument. By this line of reasoning, nothing that a human eats (other than human breast milk) can be said to be "for a human":

Eggs are for making baby birds.

Honey is for the survival of a bee hive.

Meat is muscles that animals need to move around.

Seeds and fruits are for making new plants.

Vegetables (leaves, roots, stems) are parts of plant that it needs to survive.

Clearly, people need to eat, so everyone ignores at least some of these facts. You might argue that one or more of the above are not healthful foods for one scientific reason or another, or you might claim that some are morally or ethically questionable. But to say a certain food is "not for humans" is a specious argument.
^ this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or