U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:33 AM

5,503 posts, read 3,360,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
if you haven't noticed every mammal makes their own kind of milk for a specific time in their lives. That every mammal's milk is nutritionally different means that it is not meant for other mammals, esp if they are weaned! invalid analogy
Yes, every mammal is different and naturally produces a slightly different milk, but all milk is nutritious. Any mammal could consume the milk of another mammal and gain nutritional benefit from it. Humans have traditionally milked large herding species (cows, sheep, goats, yaks, horses, camels) because that is much easier than milking a cat or a dolphin. Do a little research and you will find that many traditional human societies throughout history have survived largely because they were able to obtain the milk of other species.

As for the analogy, every plant and tree makes a slightly different fruit and seed at a specific time of the year, for the express purpose of reproducing that particular plant. We do not therefore conclude that none of them are "meant" for us to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 08:47 AM

8,652 posts, read 4,790,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Actually I was surprised, I thought studies showed the hormones were doing all kinds of damage.... but... not.
Yeah, I've found that there is a lot of misplaced hysteria over food "dangers". Much of which can be solved by consuming in moderation.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 AM

421 posts, read 885,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I love cheese and butter and consume copious amounts without apology.

just wait 20 years and see how your health checkups go. I'm thinking high blood pressure, high cholesterol and possible heart disease. Enjoy. I've been a vegan for two years and my health has improved dramatically. Prior to that I was a vegetarian for 40 years.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:04 PM

9,999 posts, read 4,225,663 times
I'm not interested in telling other people what to do, but I know for me, dairy makes me feel like I have a cold or a sinus infection. So I won't touch it.

I don't do so well with meat, either. It seems to just sit in my stomach and I feel tired for a while after, even with a moderate portion. However I can stuff myself silly with fruits, veggies, and grains and feel fine.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:57 AM

730 posts, read 503,557 times
I can't eat dairy at all. Only goat or sheep in small amounts, and it's so expensive it's just not worth it for me. The casein messes up my digestion for days, and the lactose doesn't do me much good either.
The World Health Organization has a lower minimum recommended daily intake of calcium than in the US- I think it's less than half from what I remember. You can get that from a varied diet.
One reason people have weak bones in the US has nothing to do with calcium, and everything to do with rampant vitamin D deficiency.

Most human beings on this planet are lactose intolerant and dairy is not a significant part of most peoples diets.

Last edited by DT113876; 05-19-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 12:00 PM

279 posts, read 348,454 times
I feel so much better after I cut dairy out of my life. No more bloating and much higher energy level.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 3,360,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower--girl View Post
I feel so much better after I cut dairy out of my life. No more bloating and much higher energy level.
That's great, but it's important to remember that not everyone is the same. I eat yogurt every morning, a half cup of milk with turmeric, and usually some cheese during the day, and I don't have any bloating or energy problems.

By all means, experiment with your diet and see what makes you feel better or worse. For myself, I feel 100% better when I cut out refined sugar. Dairy doesn't make a difference for me.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:28 PM

613 posts, read 969,031 times
For many people, yes. It's an essential part of their diet. For those who don't like it or don't react well to it, you don't have to drink it.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:47 PM

7,140 posts, read 5,950,516 times
a lot of digestive problems like IBS, etc. are actually stress in people's lives that they don't even realize they have because it was habitual from a young age or built up gradually over time.

Happy people can tend to eat whatever they want because the hormones produced by the parasympathetic nervous system promote good health.

So basically.. it you can eat it and feel fine afterwards, don't worry about it.

I still prefer fresh salads and fruit rather than candy bars and carb heavy pasta myself though.

If you work with toxic people who give you extreme stress, get out of that environment. If you think habitually negative thoughts, learn what mindfulness and visualization are, and visualize yourself as happy, tolerant, open, forgiving, and free towards yourself and other people on a regular basis.

All your stomach problems will magically vanish when your stress does.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:23 AM

4,784 posts, read 4,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't consume a lot of dairy, but if it wasn't so high cal I would eat it ALL. Cream, butter, good cheeses, full fat yogurt and milk..... mmmmmmm.

Oh well, skinny tastes better than milk. Kinda. Sometimes.

I would also eat dairy non-stop if it didn't have so many calories. I still eat more dairy than a lot of people and I always have some dairy in some way, shape or form everyday, but I'd probably drink multiple glasses of whole milk, tons of cheese, etc. daily if I could do it without gaining weight. Just slather that butter on, please!

The other day I had some pretzels and I melted some sharp cheddar onto them. It was so good. But, I had to sadly put the rest of the cheese block away or else it would have ceased to exist two minutes later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or