Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:13 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

I love vegan, honestly. I could do it easy if it weren't for my other half. The animal fat in the typical diet is behind diabetes in many cases.

I do like the thought: Cow milk is for cows. No. Cow milk is for BABY cows. On the other hand, all mammals can thrive on goat milk. I was raised on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Nobody over 18 or so should be drinking milk except a pregnant/lactating woman. There are so many hormones in milk that it is known (by the experts [yes, I'm one of them] - not reported by the clowns on TV, and not revealed by the NIH [conflict of interest - ADA involved here]) to be a significant (possibly overwhelming) risk factor for breast and prostate cancer. Never assume that "safe" hormones are used in the dairy industry! Named, re-named, minimally re-formulated, just to play cat 'n mouse with the FDA (which has its own integrity to "protect"), it takes "tons" of hormones to make a cow produce enough milk to make it profitable. That's all you need to know.

I can't wait until the day this cause of breast and prostate cancer "epidemic" is finally revealed...if ever, because of so many government agencies, lobbyists, and politicians involved. Let's just say, we're not holding our breath on this one.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:37 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I drink milk with no added hormones. From what I've read it's had a bad effect on us.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-17-2016, 08:00 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Nobody over 18 or so should be drinking milk except a pregnant/lactating woman. There are so many hormones in milk that it is known (by the experts [yes, I'm one of them] - not reported by the clowns on TV, and not revealed by the NIH [conflict of interest - ADA involved here]) to be a significant (possibly overwhelming) risk factor for breast and prostate cancer. Never assume that "safe" hormones are used in the dairy industry! Named, re-named, minimally re-formulated, just to play cat 'n mouse with the FDA (which has its own integrity to "protect"), it takes "tons" of hormones to make a cow produce enough milk to make it profitable. That's all you need to know.

I can't wait until the day this cause of breast and prostate cancer "epidemic" is finally revealed...if ever, because of so many government agencies, lobbyists, and politicians involved. Let's just say, we're not holding our breath on this one.
[citation needed]

Old 05-17-2016, 10:23 AM

Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone

The available evidence can be summarized as follows:

Neither natural nor synthetic BGH has been found to affect human growth hormone receptors.
IGF-1 concentrations are slightly higher (to variable degrees, depending on the study) in milk from cows treated with rBGH than in untreated milk. This variability is presumed to be much less than the normal range of variation of IGF-1 in cow's milk due to natural factors, but more research is needed.
IGF-1 in milk is not denatured (inactivated) by pasteurization. The extent to which intact, active IGF-1 is absorbed through the human digestive tract remains uncertain.
One study estimated that the additional amount of IGF-1 that might be absorbed by humans drinking milk from rBGH treatment, assuming no degradation and complete absorption, represents 0.09% of the normal daily production of IGF-1 in adults.
Before approving the use of rBGH in 1993, the FDA calculated a worst case scenario based on an infant drinking 1.5 liters (1.6 quarts) of milk daily, with complete absorption of intact IGF-1 protein and the maximum increase in IGF-1. Under these conditions, milk from rBGH-treated cows would contribute far less than 1% of the infant's normal daily production of IGF-1.
At least 8 other national and international review committees have evaluated the evidence concerning potential health effects of rBGH on humans and dairy cows. These reviews (and the most recent year they convened) are listed below. Several of these reports document adverse effects on cows, including higher rates of mastitis, foot problems, and injection site reactions.

The Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (1999)
Health Canada (1999)
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (1998/9)
Canada Veterinarian Association (1998/9)
Commission of the European Communities (1988/9)
US National Institutes of Health (1990)
American Medical Association (1991)
Health Care Without Harm (2007)

Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:

Since you are a self proclaimed "expert" you should have no problem listing numerous references and studies supporting this "significant" possibly "overwhelming" link between cows milk and breast/prostate cancer.....

Moderator cut: rude off topic comments deleted

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-17-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 08:01 PM

297 posts, read 277,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have to say, I have truly never understood this argument. By this line of reasoning, nothing that a human eats (other than human breast milk) can be said to be "for a human":

Eggs are for making baby birds.

Honey is for the survival of a bee hive.

Meat is muscles that animals need to move around.

Seeds and fruits are for making new plants.

Vegetables (leaves, roots, stems) are parts of plant that it needs to survive.

Clearly, people need to eat, so everyone ignores at least some of these facts. You might argue that one or more of the above are not healthful foods for one scientific reason or another, or you might claim that some are morally or ethically questionable. But to say a certain food is "not for humans" is a specious argument.
if you haven't noticed every mammal makes their own kind of milk for a specific time in their lives. That every mammal's milk is nutritionally different means that it is not meant for other mammals, esp if they are weaned! invalid analogy

Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Since you are a self proclaimed "expert" you should have no problem listing numerous references and studies supporting this "significant" possibly "overwhelming" link between cows milk and breast/prostate cancer.....

Moderator cut: rude off topic comments deleted
I am the citation. You're apparently the college student. Getting citations is what you do. Get to work. Just be sure that your sources have no...let's say, "connections."

Old 05-17-2016, 10:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
I am the citation. You're apparently the college student. Getting citations is what you do. Get to work. Just be sure that your sources have no...let's say, "connections."
As I thought.....

You have nothing but the conspiracies in your mind

Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 PM

I had citations.

Actually I was surprised, I thought studies showed the hormones were doing all kinds of damage.... but... not.

I'll stay with my organic, no hormone added, because with food I go with simplest and most natural when I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness