U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have side effects with statin drugs?
Yes – I have developed a side effect taking the drug 20 50.00%
No – I take the drug but no side effect 16 40.00%
Don’t know – I don’t know if my issues are side effects or not. 4 10.00%
Maybe – I didn’t know statin drugs have any side effects 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:00 PM

18,953 posts, read 6,203,272 times

Advertisements

Mikala, there are 100's of sites of info and the value of magnesium. I chose just that one.

11 Miraculous Ways Magnesium Heals Your Mind & Body - mindbodygreen.com

Here is one site on Deficiency:

16 Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms - Signs of Low Magnesium Levels | Natural Society

And if one thinks they get enough from foods, good for them. I know I don't get enough of all my nutrients from my foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 02:19 PM

20,369 posts, read 25,524,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Your husband had CALCIUM builtup in his heart arteries, NOT Cholesterol. Obviously the calcium content in his blood was too high, that caused the buildup in his heart. Had nothing to do with the withdrawal of the statins.

Did your husband take or continue to take calcium supplements? How was his vitamin D3 level throughout the years? If it is too low it impedes the absorption of calcium from the blood into the bones, where it belongs, and ends up in the heart, kidneys (causing kidney stones) and other organs!

It's a calcium plaque buildup and it can be contributed to continued high cholesterol.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/31...-the-arteries/

"the exact cause of atherosclerosis is unknown. It is believed to develop as a result of chronic damage or injury to the inside of the arteries. The damage or injury can occur as a result of chronic high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking and uncontrolled diabetes. Atherosclerosis is a gradual condition, and the arterial damage happens over a long period of time."

Some things in the medical field are not absolute but since what my husband has been doing for the past 10 years hasn't helped it's time for a change.

He has no issues with calcium and his Vitamin D levels are good. He has been on Vitamin D for a few years.

Look I am not a big fan of doctors and the money making business but science and medicine has improved and prolonged many lives. I am still open to new ideas and medicine. A hundred years ago I probably would have been dead at my age. It's nice to know I have a few more decades left(hopefully)

And don't think all "natural" supplements are good for you. There are many that are not. I went for a blood test one time and my liver numbers were crazy high….it scared the crud out of me. I don't drink or smoke. Turns out it was either my multi or a fish oil. I stopped taking both.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:28 PM

So many doctors push high calcium intake and never mention magnesium. I take far more mag than I take calcium. A friend ended up with calcium deposits on her thyroid and had part of it removed...she listened to her doc who said Tums was a good source of calcium for her..so she sucked them for years. I've almost gotten into debates with a rheumy as she was pushing more calcium and never mentioned mag. I had a lot of research done on mag for years.

I'm been alternating with bio citrate strontium every other day and 500mg cal on the alternate day and mag every day, thru the day. I'm 73 and bone health is good.

Dr. Google knows more than any MD we can go to. We need to be our own doctors more and more.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:36 PM

2,931 posts, read 1,946,200 times
The issue may be inflammation of arteries.

Worried about cholesterol and/or statins

Cholesterol & heart disease – there is a relationship, but it’s not what you think

I posted this in another thread recently.
The Cholesterol Myth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwkBB2Z6914

Last edited by gguerra; 10-07-2016 at 02:44 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 02:59 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,087,922 times
My side effects go way back to when Tom Brokaw was news announcer before the side effects were publicized.
Wife and I were put on Lipitor and we started aching and crippling effect without any help from doctor.
I was almost bad enough for wheelchair and would have to lift and swing my wife's legs out of car door and help her to walk.
Then Tom Brokaw on evening news announced liptor side effects,we stopped and after over a month we recovered.
We just moved to another state,I am 83 with high cholesterol 224,new primary doctor asked me to try 10mg pravastin,I agreed and next day leg cramps.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:06 PM

1,869 posts, read 834,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
My side effects go way back to when Tom Brokaw was news announcer before the side effects were publicized.
Wife and I were put on Lipitor and we started aching and crippling effect without any help from doctor.
I was almost bad enough for wheelchair and would have to lift and swing my wife's legs out of car door and help her to walk.
Then Tom Brokaw on evening news announced liptor side effects,we stopped and after over a month we recovered.
We just moved to another state,I am 83 with high cholesterol 224,new primary doctor asked me to try 10mg pravastin,I agreed and next day leg cramps.
224 is not high, 200 is in normal range, I would not take any statins.
Take fish oil, magnesium, potassium, D3, and oat meal, no saturated fats.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post

My 2014 labs had a total cholesterol of 239 and my MD is not concerned. She has been testing me for homocysteine and not the fear of cholesterol. My homo levels were elevated so I'm working on those. I go for new labs on Nov 1 and we'll see. I'm 78 and have enough OA pain issues and don't need statins to give me more issues. My trigs are good and HDL's good.

I work with supplements for all this stuff.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:49 PM

1,869 posts, read 834,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My 2014 labs had a total cholesterol of 239 and my MD is not concerned. She has been testing me for homocysteine and not the fear of cholesterol. My homo levels were elevated so I'm working on those. I go for new labs on Nov 1 and we'll see. I'm 78 and have enough OA pain issues and don't need statins to give me more issues. My trigs are good and HDL's good.

I work with supplements for all this stuff.
Yeah^^^^!

Old 10-07-2016, 04:02 PM

20,369 posts, read 25,524,356 times
If "my" numbers were under 250 I would not go on statins either. That is not that high.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:17 PM

Here is something else I work with for heart health:

17 Health Benefits of Cayenne Pepper

Years ago I was starting to have the HBP issues and bought the book Left For Dead and started using cayenne a lot and then slacked off. I'm back to take at least a couple capsules daily. Just made a pot of soup and added the powder from a capsule to my soup, nice and spicey.

http://www.nutralegacy.com/blog/gene...sterol-levels/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness