U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have side effects with statin drugs?
Yes – I have developed a side effect taking the drug 20 50.00%
No – I take the drug but no side effect 16 40.00%
Don’t know – I don’t know if my issues are side effects or not. 4 10.00%
Maybe – I didn’t know statin drugs have any side effects 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 09:35 AM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
I, too, think that the blood in your urine is not an indication for bladder cancer.

Since you are complaining of back ache I guess it could be due to some kidney problems, also the blood in the urine. Maybe kidney stones. Do not go for this urology procedure! They should make a urine analysis and determine the amount of calcium in your urine, this gives clues to the presence of kidney stones. Also, ask for an abdomenal scan for the kidneys.
Good luck, stop the statin and keep us updated, thanks.
You know more than the poster's doctor, I see.

Since the doctor has seen the actual report on the urine test, do you not think just maybe s/he is in a better position to make a diagnosis than you do?

Blood in the urine can be due to many causes, from a simple infection to cancer.

The patient needs test to determine the cause of blood in her urine.

The amount of calcium in the urine is not used to diagnose kidney stones. That may be done after a stone diagnosis is made, however.

For the OP:

Hematuria - Symptoms & Information - Patient Education Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 09:53 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,932,254 times
As for JanND there's nothing to do until her doctors determine her problem. It sounds like kidney related to me but that is a total guess and I wish here the best.

I am type II as well and I finally quit statins after 10 years of taking them. I was on Atorvastatin 20mg (Lipitor) for some years and then switched to Simvastatin 40mg (Zocor). No more aches and pains, thank you. I am now on a different plan. I do not care if the doctor is on board with it or not. I am not concerned with LDL quantity but particle size and density. I am on LCHF. I've been off the statins for 2 months now and in another month I will get some tests done. I know my total cholesterol will be higher but my HDL has always been high, this time I expect LDL to go up but again this number means nothing to me. As long as my total remains in the 200's I will be fine. Last test I was 145. (HDL=62, LDL=60, TRIG=114)

Old 10-05-2016, 10:03 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,446,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
I, too, think that the blood in your urine is not an indication for bladder cancer.

Since you are complaining of back ache I guess it could be due to some kidney problems, also the blood in the urine. Maybe kidney stones. Do not go for this urology procedure! They should make a urine analysis and determine the amount of calcium in your urine, this gives clues to the presence of kidney stones. Also, ask for an abdomenal scan for the kidneys.
Good luck, stop the statin and keep us updated, thanks.
I appreciate your post. I stopped the statin, I might add, against my Dr's suggestion two weeks ago, a couple of days after the blood showed up in my urine.

I've had blood work and also urine tests, blood work showed kidneys and liver were working normally.

When I asked if they had checked for kidney stones they hadn't.

The blood has been subsiding for 2 days, my visit was mon. when they wanted to send me to a urologist for that procedure. The urology dept is who insisted on a CT scan prior to making my appointment.

Now, my issue may be clearing up....so I do not think I want to proceed with the CT or of course the cystoscopy. I am willing to consider it at a later date if necessary....That is my concern....

I will need to decide by tomorrow so that I can cancel in a timely manner.

Thank you for your post. I appreciate it.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
As for JanND there's nothing to do until her doctors determine her problem. It sounds like kidney related to me but that is a total guess and I wish here the best.

I am type II as well and I finally quit statins after 10 years of taking them. I was on Atorvastatin 20mg (Lipitor) for some years and then switched to Simvastatin 40mg (Zocor). No more aches and pains, thank you. I am now on a different plan. I do not care if the doctor is on board with it or not. I am not concerned with LDL quantity but particle size and density. I am on LCHF. I've been off the statins for 2 months now and in another month I will get some tests done. I know my total cholesterol will be higher but my HDL has always been high, this time I expect LDL to go up but again this number means nothing to me. As long as my total remains in the 200's I will be fine. Last test I was 145. (HDL=62, LDL=60, TRIG=114)
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I was on the statin for approx. 45 days, before the blood in my urine suddenly appeared.

I have been doing some reading today, and it looks like my gut feelings may be right. I did take myself off the statin w/in 2 days of this symptom.

Thank you for your post, and well wishes I really appreciate you.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:08 AM

2,504 posts, read 993,993 times
I have tried different stain drugs and the side effects are always the same. Muscle pain and weakness, fatigue, and mood changes. I just cannot take those things.

They changed me over to pharmaceutical grade Omega 3, Niacin, and Tricor. No side effects with these and while cholesterol levels are not bad, they are stable, probably around 180 or so total. Doc wants them under 100 and I laughed. It's not happening. No way.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Since the doctor has seen the actual report on the urine test, do you not think just maybe s/he is in a better position to make a diagnosis than you do?

Blood in the urine can be due to many causes, from a simple infection to cancer.

The amount of calcium in the urine is not used to diagnose kidney stones. That may be done after a stone diagnosis is made, however.

For the OP:

Thank you for the link. I am reading it now. I do appreciate your concern very much.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:33 AM

1,869 posts, read 831,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

For the OP:

I see you have 100% trust in the way doctors operate, I do not, but good for you, or maybe not.

Maybe her doc did not check the calcium in her blood, and yes, I know that blood in the urine can have a lot of reasons, one of them Kidney stones.

But to suspect Bladder Cancer right from the get go is rather far fetched, and downright scary to the patient, and this before doing any tests...:-D((((

And why should a urine analysis not give an indication of the presence of kidney stones? Kidney stones can be formed if the calcium level in the blood is too high, what is then transferred into the kidneys causing the stones, and into the urine.THIS forms the kidney stones.

Often people know their bodies better than their doctors, and can diagnose what's wrong with their own bodies by "their gut feeling." They need the doctors for prescribing tests and meds - only.

I am very healthy and do not take a single med, I abhor synthetic meds, the side effects do more harm than good!

And...btw...my suggestions were just suggestions, NOT a diagnosis!

P.S. Do you happen to be a doctor? ....Have a nice day!

Last edited by rent.in.nyc; 10-05-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-05-2016, 11:11 AM

I think the fact that the suggestion of bladder cancer, immediately, without testing my blood for kidney stones, or giving any credence to the acute hematuria without additional non-invasive tests is what has me so scared.

I had to ask if the Dr. I saw Mon had done any tests beyond whether there was blood in my urine....she said she'd order a culture....I have not heard anything.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:16 AM

1,869 posts, read 831,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think the fact that the suggestion of bladder cancer, immediately, without testing my blood for kidney stones, or giving any credence to the acute hematuria without additional non-invasive tests is what has me so scared.

I had to ask if the Dr. I saw Mon had done any tests beyond whether there was blood in my urine....she said she'd order a culture....I have not heard anything.
This is unbelievable, and to order a cystoscopy, right away, without any prior tests to pinpoint what the reason for the bleeding is, and to jump immediately to the worst scenario, is just ...:-D((((

It is always good to be skeptical and to get a second opinion , good for you!

Some docs just wanted to cash in some $$$$$ !

Old 10-05-2016, 11:24 AM

18,821 posts, read 6,149,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

I tried to send you a DM but you are not set up to receive. One of my remedies for cancer prevention is Iodine and there is a lot of info related to iodine and cancers. All our body's tissues need iodine. My suggestion for some research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness