U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have side effects with statin drugs?
Yes – I have developed a side effect taking the drug 20 50.00%
No – I take the drug but no side effect 16 40.00%
Don’t know – I don’t know if my issues are side effects or not. 4 10.00%
Maybe – I didn’t know statin drugs have any side effects 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:50 PM

10,873 posts, read 18,993,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I will research that. Actually, my cholesterol levels are fine, the Dr. gave the statin to me along with my diabetes medications when I was newly diagnosed at the end of August, as a precaution.

I expressed my concerns, having seen something about statins, (not thoroughly read) and she laughed and said it was better not to read the side effects. Prophetic?

At this point I'm not sure if that is what has caused this...but I am wanting to wait until my reg Dr. sees me in a couple of weeks to discuss alternative tests and my options at least.

Thank you Jambo for the link. Quite a lot to think about.
When you are diagnosed with diabetes, the guidelines for prescribing statins change. I had good cholesterol levels and suddenly they became unhealthy cholesterol levels.

I wonder if you might not be drinking enough water. It's a simple thing but easy to overlook. My mom has problems with that. She's had a scope procedure on the bladder while she was awake, and also ultrasound (on her back) to look for kidney stones. If you can find a doctor who is both a gynecologist and a urologist, you may have a better experience with your doctor. The urologists my mom was seeing seemed to be mostly penis doctors and were completely dismissive of the symptoms she was describing. I would go to her appointments with her and she would leave in tears because she was in pain or scared about symptoms and they told her she might be overly sensitive or misinterpreting little twinges of pain as something major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 02:58 PM

1,869 posts, read 838,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Had years of muscle pain before I discovered it was Triclor. Cannot tolerate it nor statin dose level.
Cholesterol levels are fine. Triglycerides levels now at 1700. Blood sugar hovers about 120-160.
Low starch but high fruit diet.

Moving to higher fat and meat diet.
Your Triglycerides are very high, how so? Should not be higher then 170.
Ohh, maybe you put an extra 0 in, as a typo?

Last edited by rent.in.nyc; 10-05-2016 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I will research that. Actually, my cholesterol levels are fine, the Dr. gave the statin to me along with my diabetes medications when I was newly diagnosed at the end of August, as a precaution.

I expressed my concerns, having seen something about statins, (not thoroughly read) and she laughed and said it was better not to read the side effects. Prophetic?

At this point I'm not sure if that is what has caused this...but I am wanting to wait until my reg Dr. sees me in a couple of weeks to discuss alternative tests and my options at least.

Thank you Jambo for the link. Quite a lot to think about.
Is the statin you were taking Lipitor? Lipitor is said to promote Diabetes in women, has a bad effect on the liver!

A doctor who laughs about the side effects? I think you better look for another doctor.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Status: "Invisible cats keep you up at night" (set 13 days ago)

9,768 posts, read 21,653,292 times
Awhile back, some years ago a doctor prescribed statins* for me and it caused constant leg and foot pain. It felt like it was in my bones. And it made my legs weak, hard to walk without a cane, and I was only in my early 40's then. I quit taking it and everything went back to normal, I exercised, watched what I ate, switched to a different way of eating and no more high cholesterol.

Last year I was admitted to the hospital, and they gave me a host of meds without my knowledge and one was lipitor again. In just the first day, I could not get up and walk, my legs would not work properly. I felt too tired to move the 3 days I was there. Then before going home, the doctor gave me a list of meds to fill, apparently they were having me take all of them without telling me first, and some went right into the vein, and I was taken aback. Lipitor was one of the 15!! prescribed. I told the doctor that no way was I filling all of those, and especially not the statin. The reason the test showed high cholesterol, again, I was in the ER from morning til late at night, no food all day. Finally around 11pm I couldn't take it anymore, compromised my food values and ate one of their deli meat sandwiches, because that is all they offered. No vegetarian fare. Then they took my blood not long after... that is why it was high. Normally I do not eat the foods that cause cholesterol to shoot up. Stay away from statins. They do more harm than good. There is always a side effect to every drug someone takes. They just cover up the problems, they do not cure you. If you quit taking the meds, and you haven't changed your lifestyle, you will still have the problem you took the meds for. Think about that. And good luck out there. Stay natural if you can.

*This is my personal experience. Your mileage may vary.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Awhile back, some years ago a doctor prescribed statins* for me and it caused constant leg and foot pain. It felt like it was in my bones. And it made my legs weak, hard to walk without a cane, and I was only in my early 40's then. I quit taking it and everything went back to normal, I exercised, watched what I ate, switched to a different way of eating and no more high cholesterol.

Last year I was admitted to the hospital, and they gave me a host of meds without my knowledge and one was lipitor again. In just the first day, I could not get up and walk, my legs would not work properly. I felt too tired to move the 3 days I was there. Then before going home, the doctor gave me a list of meds to fill, apparently they were having me take all of them without telling me first, and some went right into the vein, and I was taken aback. Lipitor was one of the 15!! prescribed. I told the doctor that no way was I filling all of those, and especially not the statin. The reason the test showed high cholesterol, again, I was in the ER from morning til late at night, no food all day. Finally around 11pm I couldn't take it anymore, compromised my food values and ate one of their deli meat sandwiches, because that is all they offered. No vegetarian fare. Then they took my blood not long after... that is why it was high. Normally I do not eat the foods that cause cholesterol to shoot up. Stay away from statins. They do more harm than good. There is always a side effect to every drug someone takes. They just cover up the problems, they do not cure you. If you quit taking the meds, and you haven't changed your lifestyle, you will still have the problem you took the meds for. Think about that. And good luck out there. Stay natural if you can.

*This is my personal experience. Your mileage may vary.
Right, it is often said that lack of potassium or Magnesium causes leg pains and cramps, but it is often caused by the statins, too!

Last edited by rent.in.nyc; 10-05-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 04:01 PM

2,990 posts, read 1,375,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You would have done much better for your health with high starch, high vegetable, high whole grain, and keeping the fruit.

High fat + high meat = recipe for cancer and heart disease.
Too much starch (1 rice bowl, 2 pieces of bread, 1 beer, flushes me and causes a crash.

Wish I can find a diet that works. I just blewup on wife when she started on me for preparing a plain burger. no bun.

The 1700 triglyceriedes reading is a diet of high fruit, high vegetable, low starch diet., low fat and low protein diet. we have a substantial garden and home orchard. I am giving up on tomatoes-we make a tomato broth soup which I can easily eat a bowl a meal. I am always hungry.

Already have prostate removed and now looking at radiation after our trip to China. High fish oil pills 4+/day may not have helped.

Also have gout which is complicating things.

5'-6", 162#. Exercise daily. 66yo.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:04 PM

27,878 posts, read 17,783,335 times
Leastprime: do you have a reaction to all starches? Have you tried other grains like farrow, kamut, etc? There are lots of choices, but not sure if that will help you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-05-2016, 04:20 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,295,949 times
Quote:
Too much starch (1 rice bowl, 2 pieces of bread, 1 beer, flushes me and causes a crash.

Wish I can find a diet that works. I just blewup on wife when she started on me for preparing a plain burger. no bun.

The 1700 triglyceriedes reading is a diet of high fruit, high vegetable, low starch diet., low fat and low protein diet. we have a substantial garden and home orchard. I am giving up on tomatoes-we make a tomato broth soup which I can easily eat a bowl a meal. I am always hungry.

Already have prostate removed and now looking at radiation after our trip to China. High fish oil pills 4+/day may not have helped.

Beer is not a starch.

What kind of rice? Whole grain brown or refined white rice? What kind of bread? 100% whole grain or brown or refined brown or white bread?

Eating hamburgers is hardly low fat and low protein.

How many serving of whole grains, beans/legumes and vegetables do you eat in a day?

Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Beer is not a starch.

What kind of rice? Whole grain brown or refined white rice? What kind of bread? 100% whole grain or brown or refined brown or white bread?

Eating hamburgers is hardly low fat and low protein.

How many serving of whole grains, beans/legumes and vegetables do you eat in a day?
A 12 oz beer has 150 calories, that's quite high, if one drinks 2 beers that makes 300 calories...then also alcohol makes hungry, the appetite rises, oh weh...this can, with time, cause the dreaded "beer belly."...:-D((((

Are the calories in beer from the alcohol, sugar or carb?

Old 10-05-2016, 04:41 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,959,027 times
Quote:

The only thing you list that can cause a high trig reading would be the fruit. Do you eat a LOT of fruit? Fructose is known to increase belly fat which would account for a high reading, but 1700? that is off the charts. The highest I ever got to was maybe low 400's after being on a see-food diet?, lol AKA "eat everything" diet including pizza, ice cream, fried chicken etc. My latest trig reading about 2 months ago was 114 after being on LCHF diet for two years. You may have another dysfunction like thyroid or liver problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness