U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 10:16 AM

27,448 posts, read 17,629,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
We bought a high speed blender for vegetable and fruit smoothies, and we are very happy with it -- it was well worth the high initial cost. Its important to us to know we're using fresh organic produce for our drinks, and blending them yourself allows that. Its also has become a bit of an entertaining contest between DW and I to come up with new recipes, using different ingredients.
My DH got me one and I love it.

OP: No, if all those ingredients are in you're smoothie there is probably only a serving of fruit and a serving of veggies, you would still need a lot more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 11:05 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,151,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Is the smoothie made from fresh veggies that are cut up in front of you or is it some powder? A real smoothie would be good for you.
no. bottle has probably been siting on the shelves for a long time.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:30 PM

1,168 posts, read 674,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
You are getting the roughage.

There is no difference between chewing and drinking pureed stuff, except that it is easier to down lots of calories quickly when drinking. If they're raw it's even better for you. But skip the smoothie shop and make your own, that way you can add exactly what you need and make sure it's not apple juice with half a broccoli floret. In my smoothies I have as much baby spinach as you'd find in a large salad, and you can't even taste it.

^^ Exactly. My grandfather lost the use of his Jaw during WW2 and couldnt chew. He put everything in the blender and drank away. Lived to 109...

Old 05-19-2016, 02:47 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,796,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
In that case it probably has whatever the legal minimum quantity is to put it on the label. And I suspect that is very little.

ETA: I just went and looked at the major brand of 'smoothie' you can buy off the shelf. When I said there would be very little broccoli, I was exaggerating. The product is mainly apple juice, with pineapple juice and a couple of fruit purees added in, and 'natural flavour'. There is actually 102 mg of broccoli. That is 0.102 grams. A gram is the weight of a cubic centimetre of water.

0.1 of a cube a centimetre on each side. I guess the legal standard for claiming there's broccoli in your smoothie is pretty low.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:47 PM

8,142 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Quote:
You are getting the roughage.

There is no difference between chewing and drinking pureed stuff, except that it is easier to down lots of calories quickly when drinking. If they're raw it's even better for you. But skip the smoothie shop and make your own, that way you can add exactly what you need and make sure it's not apple juice with half a broccoli floret. In my smoothies I have as much baby spinach as you'd find in a large salad, and you can't even taste it.
Actually, it is harder for your body to process the entire veggie making it better for you than the puree. The harder it is for your body to break down the food, the more calories you burn doing so.

As my uncle the cardiologist says, eat the apple, NEVER drink the apple juice.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:06 PM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Then it's been processed and has lost quite a bit of its nutrient value. I make smoothies at home in a Vitamix, On the road, I'll buy a smoothie but I can watch them make it right in front of me and I can choose which fruits and vegetables I want them to put in it. It's less expensive in the long run to just buy a machine and make your own at home.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:10 PM

8,376 posts, read 7,365,888 times
Food in the form of a liquid goes into the blood stream all at once, not over a period of time as when chewed. It will often overload your system, and will bring on the need for more food quicker. In the long run, you will be taking in a lot more calories when you drink the due to ingesting more food than you will if you eat it. A good way to increase your weight and ruin your health.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:06 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,796,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Actually, it is harder for your body to process the entire veggie making it better for you than the puree. The harder it is for your body to break down the food, the more calories you burn doing so.

As my uncle the cardiologist says, eat the apple, NEVER drink the apple juice.
Provided one can chew I doubt it gets to the end of the colon undigested. However it is easy to drink a lot more than you could chew and swallow, and because it arrives in your stomach quickly the satiety receptors don't work so well (same goes for a pouch of yoghurt compared to using a spoon). Upshot being yes, eating is better, but a really nutritious smoothie* wins vs a meat and potatoes diet.

* that means an actual smoothie, not juice with a label, and actual amounts of good foods, not miniscule quantities of them.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:20 PM

8,142 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Quote:
Provided one can chew I doubt it gets to the end of the colon undigested. However it is easy to drink a lot more than you could chew and swallow, and because it arrives in your stomach quickly the satiety receptors don't work so well (same goes for a pouch of yoghurt compared to using a spoon). Upshot being yes, eating is better, but a really nutritious smoothie* wins vs a meat and potatoes diet.

* that means an actual smoothie, not juice with a label, and actual amounts of good foods, not miniscule quantities of them.
We aren't comparing smoothies to a meat and potatoes diet.

We are comparing eating the spinach and carrots versus putting them in the blender and drinking them.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:24 AM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Most fruits and veggies retain more of their nutrients when they're less processed. So something that's been dehydrated, ground up and mixed into a drink powder might not benefit you as much as eating fresh vegetables.

Part of what veggies do for you is help you to feel full, and add fiber and moisture to what you eat to help your other food move through your bowels. You're probably not getting that from the smoothie. You should also look at how much sugar is added to the mix.
I don't make my smoothies from dehydrated powder and I don't put ANY added sugar in them beyond what might naturally be in any fruit I add.

I use whole fresh vegetables (always spinach or kale and whatever other veg I have that's fresh, whole fresh fruits (always berries and usually one other whole fruit (an orange, a peach, half a banana, chunks of mango or pineapple), some antioxidant seeds (flax, chia, and/or cacao), and water. If I think I'm deficient in protein for the day I add nuts. I don't see how pulverizing the whole thing into a drink makes it any less nutritional than if I were to eat each of the things separately without any added dressings (which I wouldn't do). If we're supposed to eat 5-13 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, I never get close without vegetable/fruit drinks.

I don't know what they do in commercial smoothie places. I wouldn't pay to have someone else make my smoothies any more than I would pay Starbucks to make the coffee I drink every morning. I use a Nutribullet Pro 900, which I've had for two years. Considering I paid under $100 for it (and accessories) I consider it to be one of the more sensible purchases I've made for my kitchen. The Nutri Ninja Pro 900 is about the same, I think.
Nutribullet Pro 900 Deluxe Edition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness