U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 03:59 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,429,921 times

Advertisements

High BP... Yes, thar WAS me..
In 1993 it was 221 over 183.... I payed the prize last year. Most of my heart isdead.
But got it under controle with 2 meds. It took many trial and error meds, but the atenolol was finally one of the two.
And changed some bad habbits over the years, no drinking, stopped smoking, eat small portions and excersize a lot.

But your heart, if it dies, it is dead.
The lying down is an old trick, I did drive a truck, and sometimes they had me lay down. It goes down quit a lot. Guess it is easy on the heart.
Did you have an echo, it wil show the condition your heart. And last but not least, it is a genes thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 04:33 PM

18,882 posts, read 6,176,358 times
My regular MD has been doing EKG's for the last 3 yrs. Drinking and smoking a HUGE No No...

I'm going to do more research on the orthostatic postural issue.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:02 PM

13,401 posts, read 7,146,559 times
I understand white coat syndrome...so your own readings at home should then be given more weight. However - readings while lying down? What is that indicative of? You obviously spend 16 hours a day sitting up or standing...if your pressure is high for 16 hours but "normal" while sleeping does that completely alleviate any chronic issue? Yes, you should get this figured out but my guess is that an 8 hour respite probably does not impress your doctor enough to say you're fine.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:38 PM

13,401 posts, read 7,146,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
My doctor has finally persuaded my wife to take BP medicine because of an issue she had just over a year ago. So far (three months now) things have been ok for her. The original pharmaceutical had some side effects. Then she was changed to another manufacture and isn’t having any problems. She has a low dosage Losartan that seems to be working fine.

I’ve now started with the same Losartan 50MG and don’t have any issues after two months.

Interestingly! We a blood pressure machine at home that gave one reading that never seemed in line with the doctors. We ended up buying two more bp machines and found one of them to match closely with the one at his office. In fact we ended up taking it to his office on one visit to compare his machine with ours; so we now know we have an accurate reading at home. Problem solved, but now what do we do with two extra machines? LOL

I always prefer natural supplements and diet when possible but we couldn’t find anything that seemed to help.
Sell them on ebay - check to see what others are selling for and price accordingly - don't cheat yourself out of the shipping and handling costs! Or if that doesn't appeal to you, give to some charitable organization so that someone in need can get them.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:59 PM

29,755 posts, read 26,793,917 times
^^^ I will donate them, that's a good idea, thanks

Old 05-20-2016, 06:11 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,997,070 times
I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was not quite 18 years old. I was trying to enlist in the Marine Corps and they had a Doctor in the recruiting office that checked my BP. It was high enough that he told me to see my Doctor right away. For the next ten years I took several different medications for BP but I never got it under control until I was in my thirties. I am not sure but I think Monopril was the first drug that I used that controlled my BP. I am now 69 and I take Lisinopril and Atenelol and my BP usually runs 130/75. Having high blood pressure kept me from getting a Pilots License and made it very difficult to keep my CDL.

My thoughts on Blood Pressure: Not all people are alike. I have lost many friends to heart attacks over the years and none of them had the problems with BP that I have had. I wonder if MAYBE worry is a bigger killer than High BP.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:56 PM

18,882 posts, read 6,176,358 times
Boy, 18 that is really young...as I said I have a long time friend who is 79 and on heart meds and docs are talking about heart surgery and she has LOW BP. She smoked for years, I never did. Lots of considerations.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:29 PM

1,829 posts, read 852,910 times
One thing that affected my blood pressure greatly was artificial sweeteners. I was trying to lose the weight I put on after my husband died and using way too much of these products.

Finally, when I had a couple of dangerous spikes right after eating something (too much "something") with artificial sweetener, I got a clue and quit using them.

My blood pressure is still high normal but no more spikes. And I lost the weight by eating sensible portions which also helped my bp. A small dish of regular ice cream instead of a pint of sugar free.

I know your problem is different. Just thought I would add my 2 cents.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:58 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,281,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

More info on reducing carbs/taking in more fats.

http://www.spiritofhealthkc.com/wp/w...omas-Cowan.pdf
My BP used to average 150/95. Then I got rid of most animal products, sugar, salt (sea salt is no better than mined salt) and caffeine. Now it averages 115/70. My diet is probably 60-70% carbohydrate in the form of plant based whole foods.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 PM

5,841 posts, read 3,312,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
My doctor has finally persuaded my wife to take BP medicine because of an issue she had just over a year ago. So far (three months now) things have been ok for her. The original pharmaceutical had some side effects. Then she was changed to another manufacture and isnít having any problems. She has a low dosage Losartan that seems to be working fine.

Iíve now started with the same Losartan 50MG and donít have any issues after two months.

Interestingly! We a blood pressure machine at home that gave one reading that never seemed in line with the doctors. We ended up buying two more bp machines and found one of them to match closely with the one at his office. In fact we ended up taking it to his office on one visit to compare his machine with ours; so we now know we have an accurate reading at home. Problem solved, but now what do we do with two extra machines? LOL

I always prefer natural supplements and diet when possible but we couldnít find anything that seemed to help.

What kind is the accurate one? Mine is always higher than at the Dr. office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or