U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:07 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,371,152 times

Advertisements

44 yo female here. I'm going through it right now. I came back from vacation severely dehydrated and had to get 3 liters of saline. I'd been on hydrochlorothiazide for 10 years. ER doc put the bug in my ear that I shouldn't be on diuretics while living i the desert. I asked to change and they put me on amlodipine. Was fine for three weeks but pressure spiked again with scary palpitations. I decided the side affects were too much and went back on the HCTZ. Meanwhile I'm wearing a Holter monitor as I type this. And am scheduled for an echo in a few weeks. Mine you my prior ER visit I had MANY test done and everything came back normal.

My primary doc suggested I start keeping a diary of my BP readings and sodium intake to measure trends. My BP has been great ever since the change back to HCTZ and me giving up caffeine. It also finally sank in for me that blood needs a chemical balance. Kind of like....Koolaid? Too watery not good, too sweet, not good. I also realized I wasn't drinking enough water. I drink at least 20 ounces four times a day which has been working for the past two weeks. But straight water, not fluids or water like substances. I think I have orthostatic too which the ER doc was observing on my visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 10:41 PM

2,490 posts, read 4,556,448 times
Check out my previous post on blood pressure.

Lowering BP without meds

Old 05-20-2016, 11:49 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Also we need to be on top of magnesium, many are deficient or low in magnesium. A friend has been listening to a Vitamin Summit series recently and they were saying we need 5 times our bodyweight in magnesium. So a 170 lb person needs 850mg magnesium give or take a little. I have been taking mag for years and will up my dose a little as my weight has upped in recent years, I move so much less since hip replacement MESS surgery I've been thru. And knee issue.

https://www.verywell.com/magnesium-d...ension-1764136

Two lecturers mentioned that low magnesium is responsible for high bp.

One said that too much Vit D can reduce magnesium in the body.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:22 AM

359 posts, read 205,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My regular MD has been doing EKG's for the last 3 yrs. Drinking and smoking a HUGE No No...

I'm going to do more research on the orthostatic postural issue.
So EKG's are done for BP reasons ? interesting info indeed.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:29 AM

359 posts, read 205,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
One thing that affected my blood pressure greatly was artificial sweeteners. I was trying to lose the weight I put on after my husband died and using way too much of these products.

Finally, when I had a couple of dangerous spikes right after eating something (too much "something") with artificial sweetener, I got a clue and quit using them.

My blood pressure is still high normal but no more spikes. And I lost the weight by eating sensible portions which also helped my bp. A small dish of regular ice cream instead of a pint of sugar free.

I know your problem is different. Just thought I would add my 2 cents.
Interesting info ty.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:27 AM

7,645 posts, read 5,638,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was not quite 18 years old. I was trying to enlist in the Marine Corps and they had a Doctor in the recruiting office that checked my BP. It was high enough that he told me to see my Doctor right away. For the next ten years I took several different medications for BP but I never got it under control until I was in my thirties. I am not sure but I think Monopril was the first drug that I used that controlled my BP. I am now 69 and I take Lisinopril and Atenelol and my BP usually runs 130/75. Having high blood pressure kept me from getting a Pilots License and made it very difficult to keep my CDL.

My thoughts on Blood Pressure: Not all people are alike. I have lost many friends to heart attacks over the years and none of them had the problems with BP that I have had. I wonder if MAYBE worry is a bigger killer than High BP.
My story is similar. I was drafted at 19 in 1968, but failed the Army physical due to high blood pressure. Was classified 1-Y, which kept me out of the military and (likely)Vietnam.

I came to understand at a very young age that my blood pressure goes through the roof in situations I don't want to be in. I figured that was the same for everyone, but in fact people vary greatly. I also came to understand very young that my blood pressure would never be "normal" in a medical setting with that obnoxious cuff around my arm, knowing the knee-jerk drama that was coming from a system that didn't even seem to understand the very nature of blood pressure. Thirdly, I came to understand that the "system" grossly over-reacts to high blood pressure readings taken under typically stressful scenarios and, increasingly, milks that phenomenon for $all$ they can. Blood pressure is not, by a long shot, supposed to be the same all the time. And yet the system relentlessly insists that everyone fits their same BP mold.

My sister was a nurse in training in the early 70s and took my blood pressure a number of times in a relaxed setting and it was close to "normal" - much lower than in the "official" setting where I knew I must brace myself for the onslaught of drama that would ensue at my readings there. It got old real fast and they lost credibility with me equally quickly.

Fact is our bodies are designed such that blood pressures are, by nature, all over the map in response to the needs of the moment we are in. The very idea that there is one ideal set of numbers that can be universally applied as a standard to be met by everyone is simply ludicrous. Especially considering that so many of those measurements are hugely impacted, as they are designed in nature to be, by the variety of physical and psychological factors that affect us.

I also wanted to get a pilots license, but knew I'd never pass the blood pressure part of the physical.

I went for years - decades, really - without my blood pressure even being on my radar. Then early last year, I unexpectedly found myself in a scenario where I needed a tooth pulled and they refused to do it because of my blood pressure. Readings were much higher than they were years ago.

After much more reading and research done on my own, and an EKG, I've reluctantly resigned myself to needing BP meds at age 66 - mainly to protect my left ventricle. I tried diet and exercise first, lost 40 pounds, but that made almost no difference.

But my take on this issue remains what it has been for nearly 50 years. As you said, there are so many other factors that affect our health and longevity. Some far more important than blood pressure readings that are all too often meaningless.

"High blood pressure" is multi-billion $$ industry that provides much greater benefit to Big Pharma and providers than it does to patients. Their gravy train depends on making people worry - a lot. My advice remains what it has been for most of my life. Most people do not need blood pressure drugs or to worry about their blood pressure anything like the system would have them believe. In fact, there is very little conclusive evidence that blood pressure treatment with drugs even extends life or reduces incidence of cardio events significantly. Yet their drama reaches new heights each year. SELL....SELL....SELL!

Old 05-21-2016, 07:03 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
Quote:
And I'm trying to NOT let it drive me Nuts.

My blood pressure probably starting elevating at about 40. I can remember a reading from a doc back then and it was 130/80. That was almost 38 yrs ago.

Over the years from that time, it was elevating and I worked on it long and hard with supps and blood pressure stuff, foods etc. and finally in my early or mid 60's I went on blood pressure meds. First Atenolol 25mg and 25mg HCTZ (diuretic).

Each and every time I would go to my MD the BP was UP and I would call it "white coat", being in the doc's office, stress of going there etc....caused it to elevate. So MD wanted to take yet another BP med, Amlodipine 5mg, which caused edema after on it 30 days....so I worked on that edema and got it reduced.

So now I take 3 meds and it's still elevated when it's tested Sitting up, Standing Up, but when I recline it comes down. Years ago a doctor was taking it and it was high so he said lie down and he tested it again and it was down.

While I was in the hospital for hip replacement they came in at least 3 times a day to check BP and always took it while I was lying down/reclining and it was always fine. I was on the 3 meds during this time also.

So now seeing the new D.O. for bodywork she is checking BP and it's up, both times I've seen her and she wants me to take it at home, which I do, and bring in numbers for her to adding to the files. I tell her again, it's the white coat stress, getting there, finding parking -- all stressful.

Plus I asked her if chronic pain can elevate BP and she agreed it can.

Now, I have a good friend who has low BP, she is often dizzy and has been on a heart med or two and now being told she may need heart surgery....she has LOW BP.

My folks both lived to 90's and both were on a little BP med they talked about over the years. Their hearts were the last thing to go when they were dying.

So again, this BP issue is making me nuts, trying not to make me nuts and this has been going on for probably 20 yrs. Along with the BP meds, I've added cayenne capsules and hawthorne extract.

Anyone else have a story on the high blood pressure crazy making.

Is this all normal and these MD's and meds making us more Nuts.

What is your BP at home? Mine is fine at home most of the time, last week it was 118/83 and the next time I checked it 121/81 but when I go to my doctor it is 138/90 or higher. I am on Metoprolol and Amlodopine also and hopefully will be able to cut one of those out soon.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:26 AM

9,370 posts, read 8,446,020 times
Quote:

I've been working on NOT overthinking it
This............work harder

Old 05-21-2016, 10:03 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
I have problems with white coat syndrome. It's worst when seeing a doctor I've never seen before, or at the hospital. I have a cuff that I use at home that stores my readings. I take it with me when I go to the doctor, and it seems to be accurate. Before I got the cuff, I was on two blood pressure meds, HCTZ and Lisinopril. I started fainting when I was out in the heat, and stopped taking the HCTZ. A couple of months later, I fainted on the bike trail. I didn't have the cuff with me but when I got home, my BP was 59/45. So I stopped the Lisinopril also. I've noticed that doctors will never tell you to stop most medications. I generally have to stop on my own and then convince the doctor that I've been fine since I stopped the medication.

For me, regular aerobic exercise lowers my BP. Riding a bike for about 45 minutes several times a week seems to be enough for me.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:21 AM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmountain View Post
So EKG's are done for BP reasons ? interesting info indeed.
I believe my integrative MD started on the EKG's for me as I'm one of her aging patients...my friend goes to her and she does EKG's on her now.

People have heart problems and low blood pressure conditions....many factors involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or