U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 11:29 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,735,784 times

Advertisements

Last years the American Heart Association came out with new BP level guidelines:
140/90 for adults from ages 30 to 59
150/90 for people 60 and older

I talked to my PCP about that and he was in agreement; he also said that he looks at each patient individually and takes it on a case-by-case basis: the reading that is good for me may not be acceptable for his next patient, etc.

He told me that usually everyone's BP will rise during the day and the time to be concerned is when it doesn't go back down. He advised me to take a reading a couple times a day, but to definitely not 'stress' about it since for me, stress is my biggest enemy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 11:34 AM

9,370 posts, read 8,446,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Last years the American Heart Association came out with new BP level guidelines:

I talked to my PCP about that and he was in agreement; he also said that he looks at each patient individually and takes it on a case-by-case basis: the reading that is good for me may not be acceptable for his next patient, etc.

He told me that usually everyone's BP will rise during the day and the time to be concerned is when it doesn't go back down. He advised me to take a reading a couple times a day, but to definitely not 'stress' about it since for me, stress is my biggest enemy.
Stress is everyone's biggest enemy. Worrying about something is sometimes a bigger health issue than the problem itself.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:34 AM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This............work harder
What does this mean, work harder?

Old 05-21-2016, 12:55 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Stress is everyone's biggest enemy. Worrying about something is sometimes a bigger health issue than the problem itself.
So many worry about things that may never happen negatively. Learning to LET GO of worry is major...concern yes but agonizing worry. Mind Over Matter..

Old 05-21-2016, 02:11 PM

2,600 posts, read 1,488,402 times
I'm 62 and for my entire lifetime I have had such awful side effects with most all prescription medications (except, thank goodness, for antibiotics and pain relief) that nowadays when the doctor says that my cholesterol is elevated or my BP is borderline high, I just say, "Oh, okay," and ignore it. I may die early but at least it won't be from medications, and I won't be spending all my remaining time dealing with side effects that diminish my quality of life, or trying to "get my numbers down" as the ad puts it.

It's funny, though, when I do go to the doctor and they ask me what prescriptions I'm on and I say, "I don't take anything," they always say, "Good for you!" not, "Well, you'd be a lot healthier if you were on medication."

Old 05-21-2016, 05:57 PM

14,648 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

It is entirely normal for our blood pressure to go up as we age. And I also agree with the poster who posted about how our pressure changes from minute to minute depending on the situation we are in. I too have "white coat" syndrome; plus when I go for my exams I have been driving through traffic for 1/2 hour, rushing around, going to the bathroom while they are calling me in. I ALWAYS have ridiculously high readings, and have developed panic now over what they will be before they take it which makes it worse. I just went for my checkup and actually talked the assistant out of taking it because I told her the #'s would be meaningless, I am all worked up!

Thankfully, my doc doesn't push anything, even though I am Type 2 diabetic, I am extremely healthy and he knows it so he lets me get by on a minimum of meds, and lets me "tinker" with my supplements and exercise.

I really think in a lot of instances WAY too much is made of BP readings.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:41 PM

7,644 posts, read 5,636,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It is entirely normal for our blood pressure to go up as we age. And I also agree with the poster who posted about how our pressure changes from minute to minute depending on the situation we are in. I too have "white coat" syndrome; plus when I go for my exams I have been driving through traffic for 1/2 hour, rushing around, going to the bathroom while they are calling me in. I ALWAYS have ridiculously high readings, and have developed panic now over what they will be before they take it which makes it worse. I just went for my checkup and actually talked the assistant out of taking it because I told her the #'s would be meaningless, I am all worked up!

Thankfully, my doc doesn't push anything, even though I am Type 2 diabetic, I am extremely healthy and he knows it so he lets me get by on a minimum of meds, and lets me "tinker" with my supplements and exercise.

I really think in a lot of instances WAY too much is made of BP readings.
Exactly. Blood pressure is anything but an exact science.

I think they spend way too much time reading numbers on test results and lose sight of the fact that a blood pressure reading is an altogether different animal than a white blood cell count or glucose level.

Medical office BP measurements are worse than useless for people like us.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:59 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
Everybody is different and BP depends on what you eat, drink, smoke, exercise, worry, physical condition and what you're doing at the moment.
I'm in the senior citizen range and my BP runs the gamut from 135/75 to 155/85. Doc said not to worry, I don't.
Awhile back I had a medical procedure while awake and it rose during and after the procedure to 199/95. It took a few days to get back to my normal range.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:35 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,633,860 times
I'm just the opposite when I'm at the doctors it goes down. I know if something happens to me there is someone to address the situation as opposed to the guy I use to live with who would have just walked over me. I do this little muscle release meditation thing something like I used during natural childbirth.

I'm on several Bp meds, the same as my mother had been but didn't start till my late 40's during my divorce unlike my brother who had been on them since 20. Readings go up and down, no worries. The only time it becomes scary and I feel physically awful is when I have overdone it probably out in the sun playing golf or something. That requires lying down for several hours, relaxing, and rehydrating. I try not to do that anymore and take things a bit easier.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:38 AM

16,165 posts, read 20,176,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was not quite 18 years old. I was trying to enlist in the Marine Corps and they had a Doctor in the recruiting office that checked my BP. It was high enough that he told me to see my Doctor right away. For the next ten years I took several different medications for BP but I never got it under control until I was in my thirties. I am not sure but I think Monopril was the first drug that I used that controlled my BP. I am now 69 and I take Lisinopril and Atenelol and my BP usually runs 130/75. Having high blood pressure kept me from getting a Pilots License and made it very difficult to keep my CDL.

My thoughts on Blood Pressure: Not all people are alike. I have lost many friends to heart attacks over the years and none of them had the problems with BP that I have had. I wonder if MAYBE worry is a bigger killer than High BP.
I'm with GL2 on this.

In about a month I'm going to spend more of my life taking pills to keep myself going as opposed to not taking pills. GL2 is right regarding the restrictions, when you go to get a CDL now you're BP better be good-and you better divulge as to whatever medication you take as well. I take a lisinopril in the morning and a amlodopine (Norvasc generic equivalent) at night. Started on combipress in 1983. then minipress, then vasotec, and a few others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or