U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 08:38 AM

9,371 posts, read 8,446,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What does this mean, work harder?
I mean work harder at not worrying about it too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 10:30 AM

7,645 posts, read 5,638,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'm with GL2 on this.

In about a month I'm going to spend more of my life taking pills to keep myself going as opposed to not taking pills. GL2 is right regarding the restrictions, when you go to get a CDL now you're BP better be good-and you better divulge as to whatever medication you take as well. I take a lisinopril in the morning and a amlodopine (Norvasc generic equivalent) at night. Started on combipress in 1983. then minipress, then vasotec, and a few others.
We must be about the same age then. But I didn't start on BP drugs until last year - have read and learned a lot since. You must be our resident expert, though, having started 33 years ago. Some of those early drugs, like alpha-blockers, were a little scary - were they not?

I've tried both Lisinopril and Valsartan - finally settled on Valsartan. I was on the fence since they both have pros and cons. Doc felt Valsartan was a better drug. They are about equally effective in lowering blood pressure. From everything I've read, ARBs (Valsartan) cause fewer adverse reactions, most notably with cough and angioedema risk. On the other hand, I've read that ACE inhibitors like Lisinopril have been proven to slightly reduce incidence of cardiovascular events, whereas ARBs have not as of yet. Maybe because they are newer....hard to say.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 AM

18,775 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Lots of very good info from many on this thread, sure glad I posted about this longtime issue. I've made up a sheet of paper with recent readings at home and the new guidelines just in case this younger D.O. isn't up on the latest. She is a good bodyworker but she doesn't know my history as my regular doc does and guess she's working to protect herself too when she see's my elevated BP in her office.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:37 PM

27,448 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Quote:
Oh this morning I had a 128/74, 134/76 Pulse 60's and these were lying down.

Then I took a reading 10 minutes later sitting up and it rose to 160/87 pulse 73.

Just changing positions, makes a great difference...see what I'm saying.

I take 3 f****** meds and still this erratic readings.

I've been working on NOT overthinking it and it just came up with this new doctor I'm seeing.

I keep going back to the Weston Price theory on HBP issues.

Blood pressure readings always change, that's normal.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-22-2016, 12:42 PM

27,448 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I'm 62 and for my entire lifetime I have had such awful side effects with most all prescription medications (except, thank goodness, for antibiotics and pain relief) t
My worst side effects ever were from antibiotics, ended up in the hospital and lost 2 lymph nodes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-22-2016, 03:39 PM

16,166 posts, read 20,176,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
We must be about the same age then. But I didn't start on BP drugs until last year - have read and learned a lot since. You must be our resident expert, though, having started 33 years ago. Some of those early drugs, like alpha-blockers, were a little scary - were they not?

I've tried both Lisinopril and Valsartan - finally settled on Valsartan. I was on the fence since they both have pros and cons. Doc felt Valsartan was a better drug. They are about equally effective in lowering blood pressure. From everything I've read, ARBs (Valsartan) cause fewer adverse reactions, most notably with cough and angioedema risk. On the other hand, I've read that ACE inhibitors like Lisinopril have been proven to slightly reduce incidence of cardiovascular events, whereas ARBs have not as of yet. Maybe because they are newer....hard to say.
They weren't pleasant, that's for sure. When the new stuff came on the market, it was a sort of different kind of scary. When Norvasc first hit the market a 30 day subscription for me ran $87.50! Thankfully when they went generic they became affordable. Those early drugs I took? Too many weird side effects.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:37 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,243,823 times
I just took my BP, I'm 75 and the reading is 109/53 with pulse of 61. I assume that is good.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:26 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,138,018 times
That is pretty low, has it been low all your life.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:25 AM

4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Quote:
Anyone else here aware of Dr. Weston Price health issues and the ongoing foundation in his name? The younger generation have no idea about him and especially the recent generations of MD's.
No "generation" of reputable MD's is going to be "aware" of Weston Price Foundation guidelines because it is quackery...and the ongoing "foundation" is nonsense

"DR" Weston Price was a dentist by the way so his thoughts on nutrition and health are no more relevant than a veterinarian

Old 05-23-2016, 05:51 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,248,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I'm 62 and for my entire lifetime I have had such awful side effects with most all prescription medications (except, thank goodness, for antibiotics and pain relief) that nowadays when the doctor says that my cholesterol is elevated or my BP is borderline high, I just say, "Oh, okay," and ignore it. I may die early but at least it won't be from medications, and I won't be spending all my remaining time dealing with side effects that diminish my quality of life, or trying to "get my numbers down" as the ad puts it.

It's funny, though, when I do go to the doctor and they ask me what prescriptions I'm on and I say, "I don't take anything," they always say, "Good for you!" not, "Well, you'd be a lot healthier if you were on medication."
Yes to this post. RX meds cause a lot of ailments themselves, even death. A recent health article stated that medical (mal)practice including medications was possibly the #3 cause of death in the US but because death certificates were not accurate there is no reliable way to track this, maybe it's #1 cause of death.

Antibiotics and pain relievers (some) are life savers but so many of the other RX meds I've taken make me feel like a lab rat, being tested to see whether the side effects are worse than the cure.

I appreciate doctors and nurses and medical research but we are an overmedicated country and not in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or