Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 04:56 PM

52 posts, read 48,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And I'm trying to NOT let it drive me Nuts.

My blood pressure probably starting elevating at about 40. I can remember a reading from a doc back then and it was 130/80. That was almost 38 yrs ago.

Over the years from that time, it was elevating and I worked on it long and hard with supps and blood pressure stuff, foods etc. and finally in my early or mid 60's I went on blood pressure meds. First Atenolol 25mg and 25mg HCTZ (diuretic).

Each and every time I would go to my MD the BP was UP and I would call it "white coat", being in the doc's office, stress of going there etc....caused it to elevate. So MD wanted to take yet another BP med, Amlodipine 5mg, which caused edema after on it 30 days....so I worked on that edema and got it reduced.

So now I take 3 meds and it's still elevated when it's tested Sitting up, Standing Up, but when I recline it comes down. Years ago a doctor was taking it and it was high so he said lie down and he tested it again and it was down.

While I was in the hospital for hip replacement they came in at least 3 times a day to check BP and always took it while I was lying down/reclining and it was always fine. I was on the 3 meds during this time also.

So now seeing the new D.O. for bodywork she is checking BP and it's up, both times I've seen her and she wants me to take it at home, which I do, and bring in numbers for her to adding to the files. I tell her again, it's the white coat stress, getting there, finding parking -- all stressful.

Plus I asked her if chronic pain can elevate BP and she agreed it can.

Now, I have a good friend who has low BP, she is often dizzy and has been on a heart med or two and now being told she may need heart surgery....she has LOW BP.

My folks both lived to 90's and both were on a little BP med they talked about over the years. Their hearts were the last thing to go when they were dying.

So again, this BP issue is making me nuts, trying not to make me nuts and this has been going on for probably 20 yrs. Along with the BP meds, I've added cayenne capsules and hawthorne extract.

Anyone else have a story on the high blood pressure crazy making.

Is this all normal and these MD's and meds making us more Nuts.
My husband had extremely high blood pressure. He loves salt. Then we started biking for 1.5-2 hrs twice a week. Now it's near the lower end of the average scale. He continues to eat salt, maybe a little less than before. But not much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 01:04 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaJackson View Post
My husband had extremely high blood pressure. He loves salt. Then we started biking for 1.5-2 hrs twice a week. Now it's near the lower end of the average scale. He continues to eat salt, maybe a little less than before. But not much
Sugar may be more important than salt in the role of hypertension.
Blood Pressure: Sugar Worse Than Salt? | Medpage Today

Some people are hypersensitive to caffeine also.
Caffeine: How does it affect blood pressure? - Mayo Clinic

Old 05-28-2016, 02:42 PM

52 posts, read 48,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Sugar may be more important than salt in the role of hypertension.
Blood Pressure: Sugar Worse Than Salt? | Medpage Today

Some people are hypersensitive to caffeine also.
Caffeine: How does it affect blood pressure? - Mayo Clinic
Thank you for this. He's cycled hardcore for almost all of his life, just got lazy and gained some weight the last few years. \

He doesn't eat much sugar. Sometimes he'd drink Monsters, even two in one day if he needed to work hard that day. That may have been the culprit. He's stopped drinking those since then. Thank you for that

Old 05-30-2016, 02:22 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
According to this report NIH say only 5% of americans get the 4700mg of potassium daily. Think about it, who gets 4700mg potassium daily from their FOODS?

How Much Potassium Should You Take to Lower Blood Pressure? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-30-2016 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 02:44 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I'm a big believer in whole food solutions before pills in a bottle.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-30-2016, 02:56 PM

Yea me too, but 4700mg of potassium from whole foods? I'd have to eat a stack of foods to get this...what is your answer on getting enough potassium from whole foods...I eat pretty small portions of everything so can't imagine getting enough potassium from my foods.

I'd love to NOT take pills or supps in bottles and that was pretty true for me before my 50's...this includes drugs and supps.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:03 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yea me too, but 4700mg of potassium from whole foods? I'd have to eat a stack of foods to get this...what is your answer on getting enough potassium from whole foods...I eat pretty small portions of everything so can't imagine getting enough potassium from my foods.

I'd love to NOT take pills or supps in bottles and that was pretty true for me before my 50's...this includes drugs and supps.

Well, webmd has some suggestions:

High-Potassium Foods-Topic Overview

Old 05-30-2016, 03:06 PM

https://www.drugs.com/cg/potassium-c...oods-list.html

There is this one too, and MANY of the foods listed I hardly eat or eat small amounts. 1 medium baked sweet potatoe 450mg potassium and I may eat 2 a week. I may eat 2-3 smallish bananas a week...the bigger portions packed into our bodies, the more calories too. Plus, I know my stomach has shrunk and I can't burn off calories like in the past. Small portions is my answer.

Thinking about the foods and potassium, if I get 2500mg in foods, I'm a lucky gal. That leaves me void of 2000+mg. Just drinking some Revive vitamin water as it is high in potassium. Working to get to 1 cup of coffee per day vs 2 cups.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-30-2016 at 04:15 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 05:24 PM

Thinking more about this potassium sodium balancing act and talking to a friend who brought me to the potassium issue a couple yrs ago when we discussed fatigue issues and she is the one who brought low potassium and fatigue to my mind. We both agree that SO MANY have no clue on how much potassium we need daily and hence their bodies are out of whack and plunked with blood pressure meds....doctors don't talk about potassium needs.

Here's another link saying 98% Americans are deficient.

http://nutritionfacts.org/2013/05/23...ium-deficient/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-30-2016 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 08:20 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
I think Recommended Daily Allowances are set too high for most people today. RDA was set in the 1960s and was considered optimal for military personnel and most healthy Americans at the time. Lifestyles have changed considerably since then. Few Americans live the same way and are much less active; and even fewer have lifestyles comparable to 1960s military personnel.

As for the high BP. Generally it is recommended not to take hawthorn with BP meds because of possible interactions, sometimes causing the opposite effect you want. There could be other herbs interfering, foods, etc. When one way doesn't work, make changes until you find a solution, keeping all possible interactions in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness