U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:46 PM

18,769 posts, read 6,129,215 times

Advertisements

And I'm trying to NOT let it drive me Nuts.

My blood pressure probably starting elevating at about 40. I can remember a reading from a doc back then and it was 130/80. That was almost 38 yrs ago.

Over the years from that time, it was elevating and I worked on it long and hard with supps and blood pressure stuff, foods etc. and finally in my early or mid 60's I went on blood pressure meds. First Atenolol 25mg and 25mg HCTZ (diuretic).

Each and every time I would go to my MD the BP was UP and I would call it "white coat", being in the doc's office, stress of going there etc....caused it to elevate. So MD wanted to take yet another BP med, Amlodipine 5mg, which caused edema after on it 30 days....so I worked on that edema and got it reduced.

So now I take 3 meds and it's still elevated when it's tested Sitting up, Standing Up, but when I recline it comes down. Years ago a doctor was taking it and it was high so he said lie down and he tested it again and it was down.

While I was in the hospital for hip replacement they came in at least 3 times a day to check BP and always took it while I was lying down/reclining and it was always fine. I was on the 3 meds during this time also.

So now seeing the new D.O. for bodywork she is checking BP and it's up, both times I've seen her and she wants me to take it at home, which I do, and bring in numbers for her to adding to the files. I tell her again, it's the white coat stress, getting there, finding parking -- all stressful.

Plus I asked her if chronic pain can elevate BP and she agreed it can.

Now, I have a good friend who has low BP, she is often dizzy and has been on a heart med or two and now being told she may need heart surgery....she has LOW BP.

My folks both lived to 90's and both were on a little BP med they talked about over the years. Their hearts were the last thing to go when they were dying.

So again, this BP issue is making me nuts, trying not to make me nuts and this has been going on for probably 20 yrs. Along with the BP meds, I've added cayenne capsules and hawthorne extract.

Anyone else have a story on the high blood pressure crazy making.

Is this all normal and these MD's and meds making us more Nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 01:50 PM

I've been following Weston Price Foundation for years and here is one article from them:

Blood Pressure, High - Weston A Price

More info on reducing carbs/taking in more fats.

http://www.spiritofhealthkc.com/wp/w...omas-Cowan.pdf

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-20-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 01:55 PM

1,358 posts, read 651,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
it's the white coat stress, getting there, finding parking -- all stressful.
What are your BP readings at home? If they are fine, then I really wouldn't worry about white coat syndrome. Also, once you get to the doctor, they should be letting you rest for 10-15 minutes before they take your blood pressure so the stress of getting there and finding parking has subsided.

I've battled hypertension for the last 40+ years, and I know it's a struggle. Mine was perfectly fine on my medications for a good 20 years, then my doctor decided to take me off one of my meds, and now my BP readings are a little high, not terrible, just not as good as they were before and now I have to convince her to put me back on the med she decided I don't need. Once you find the right meds and your home BP readings are good, just try not to overthink it.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:09 PM

Oh this morning I had a 128/74, 134/76 Pulse 60's and these were lying down.

Then I took a reading 10 minutes later sitting up and it rose to 160/87 pulse 73.

Just changing positions, makes a great difference...see what I'm saying.

I take 3 f****** meds and still this erratic readings.

I've been working on NOT overthinking it and it just came up with this new doctor I'm seeing.

I keep going back to the Weston Price theory on HBP issues.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:21 PM

Anyone else here aware of Dr. Weston Price health issues and the ongoing foundation in his name? The younger generation have no idea about him and especially the recent generations of MD's.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:40 PM

Meds/supps that can elevate BP

Medications and supplements that can raise your blood pressure - Mayo Clinic

Old 05-20-2016, 03:05 PM

Guidelines all over the place...using one's thinking mind and doing a search.

New blood-pressure guidelines pay off — for drug companies | The Seattle Times

More on guidelines:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/he...says.html?_r=0

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-20-2016 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 03:18 PM

1,358 posts, read 651,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh this morning I had a 128/74, 134/76 Pulse 60's and these were lying down. Then I took a reading 10 minutes later sitting up and it rose to 160/87 pulse 73.
That sounds like postural hypertension/orthostatic hypertension, have you done any reading about that? (More reading may just cause more confusion for you, of course.)

"There is not any official recommended treatments currently for orthostatic hypertension as the condition is still little known and can be due to different causes, hence treatment for those with this disorder is still trial and error experimental treatment."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypertension

So, trial and error for treatment. I hope your doctor can figure it out for you. Hang in there.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
That sounds like postural hypertension/orthostatic hypertension, have you done any reading about that? (More reading may just cause more confusion for you, of course.)

"There is not any official recommended treatments currently for orthostatic hypertension as the condition is still little known and can be due to different causes, hence treatment for those with this disorder is still trial and error experimental treatment."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypertension

So, trial and error for treatment. I hope your doctor can figure it out for you. Hang in there.
Well, thanks for this.. could shed more light on my "stuff".....J

Old 05-20-2016, 03:31 PM

29,745 posts, read 26,770,148 times
My doctor has finally persuaded my wife to take BP medicine because of an issue she had just over a year ago. So far (three months now) things have been ok for her. The original pharmaceutical had some side effects. Then she was changed to another manufacture and isnít having any problems. She has a low dosage Losartan that seems to be working fine.

Iíve now started with the same Losartan 50MG and donít have any issues after two months.

Interestingly! We a blood pressure machine at home that gave one reading that never seemed in line with the doctors. We ended up buying two more bp machines and found one of them to match closely with the one at his office. In fact we ended up taking it to his office on one visit to compare his machine with ours; so we now know we have an accurate reading at home. Problem solved, but now what do we do with two extra machines? LOL

I always prefer natural supplements and diet when possible but we couldnít find anything that seemed to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or