U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:19 AM

1,168 posts, read 675,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This has been the one of the biggest misconceptions. It's not quite that simple. To begin with, the body does NOT run at room temperature does it? The human body runs at around 98 degrees which is not room temp, but it gets way more complicated than that..

Saturated Fat: Good or Bad?
Sure it is more complicated. However most of the info about foods here is nonsense. Most everyone in my family lives 100+ years. The Smokers too. Most of us eat horribly. Every type of diet from an uncle who survived drinking only beer for the last 60 years of his life to My grandmother who thought that pastries was the only food group. BOY could she put down the cake.
The common attributes to our long lives are genes and Exercise. We all liked to be active. No couch potatoes here. And of course the genes. But thats just luck.

Pure coconut oil does melt at about 80F. However almost all the coconut oil you find out there is either partially or fully hydrogenated for the sole purpose to keep it solid to in excess of 100F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 08:37 AM

14,652 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Sure it is more complicated. However most of the info about foods here is nonsense. Most everyone in my family lives 100+ years. The Smokers too. Most of us eat horribly. Every type of diet from an uncle who survived drinking only beer for the last 60 years of his life to My grandmother who thought that pastries was the only food group. BOY could she put down the cake.
The common attributes to our long lives are genes and Exercise. We all liked to be active. No couch potatoes here. And of course the genes. But thats just luck.

Pure coconut oil does melt at about 80F. However almost all the coconut oil you find out there is either partially or fully hydrogenated for the sole purpose to keep it solid to in excess of 100F.
I do agree that so much of it is genetic. I am of Spanish descent, and all the women are very long lived and have "high" cholesterol. They live to the 90s and 100s. The men have not fared as well and died much younger than the women, but ALL the men were smokers and heavy drinkers. My dad at least made it to almost 80 despite HEAVY smoking since he was 12 and drinking beer daily. Ate no veggies, drank no water - just coffee, soda and beer!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,932,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
The one I buy will solidify at or below 76 degrees. It says that right on the container. I do not buy or use any hydrogenated oil. Only Olive or Coconut for me, I haven't yet tried Avocado.

This is what I use. It's about $15 at Sams Club.
Tresomega Nutrition Organic Refined Coconut Oil (54 oz.) - Sam's Club

Old 05-25-2016, 09:48 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
How much coconut oil did they consume?
Probably doesn't make any difference: most likely they did not, but people living 50 years ago or even 30 years ago ate bacon fat on veggies, fried a lot of their foods, used lard for baking and frying, and hardly ever had vegetables that were not cooked for hours. Of course they didn't have all the modern conveniences we have so they got more daily exercise. I was raised in the era of only 1 car per family, we walked to our friends houses, we played out side all summer: we had required PE at school, even the first couple of years of college. We did not have remote controls, cell phones, dish washers, rider mowers or even gas ones in many cases, most clothes had to be ironed and some of us didn't even have clothes dryers. Thus we didn't have to work hard to get exercise: we got it daily just doin chores.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:03 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Coconut Oil was not the oil of their time. It was vegetable oils, butter, olive oil, lard, chicken fats etc.

The U.S. found the greatness of CO in the 90's onward.
and of course not just the chicken fat, but what about the bacon fat? Mom and dad always had it in a can or jar in the fridge. So did my grandma and my mom in law.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:25 AM

8,652 posts, read 4,788,647 times
People consumed a lot more saturated fats and were more physically active in the generations past, but for the last 150+ years we've still had the same leading causes of death: heart disease, stroke, cancer.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:35 AM

18,823 posts, read 6,149,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The one I buy will solidify at or below 76 degrees. It says that right on the container. I do not buy or use any hydrogenated oil. Only Olive or Coconut for me, I haven't yet tried Avocado.

This is what I use. It's about $15 at Sams Club.
Tresomega Nutrition Organic Refined Coconut Oil (54 oz.) - Sam's Club
Refined is a NO NO, look it up.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:24 AM

6,166 posts, read 3,253,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Yes I thought that is was a healthy saturated fat too. I eat about 4 eggs a week.....very little fried food, no red meat. Thanks for that link.....have to do more research.....I don't know what is safe to eat any more. Really confused about eggs too.
Saturated fat is not the healthy type of fat. Healthy fats are UNsaturated. Those are the ones with Omega 3 and such.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:25 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,932,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Refined is a NO NO, look it up.
Really? Why don't you tell me what's wrong with it? I do know that refined has the coconut flavor and smell removed which is exactly what I want.. If you are going to tell me that is has additives and/or chemicals this one does NOT. It's 100% organic.

This what is listed.

Ingredients:
Organic, refined, expeller-pressed coconut oil bottled in a peanut-free facility

Old 05-25-2016, 11:33 AM

18,823 posts, read 6,149,026 times
It's refined, processed etc. THey can sell it so much cheaper. I have been buying a new brand, Carrington Farms and bought their 12 oz container unrefined for $7something and then saw a 54oz container for like $15 or so and it was refined. I keep a good stock of unrefined CO as I won't buy the refined stuff. Often when whole foods is out of their unrefined brand, they have some refined left and I won't buy it. I keep my extra stock in the refrig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or