U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2016, 09:47 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 675,366 times
Reputation: 1413

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Hey my husband died at 43 because he ate poorly and smoked, no exercise. I made him healthy lunches and made healthy dinners, but he would always add a lot of fried food, and sweets.

His arteries were clogged and gave way straight into his heart. The doc said he died so fast he probably didn't even know it.
Sorry to hear that. My friends son died 2 years ago at 44 and his daughter died just a month ago at 45. Clogged arteries both of them. Neither were big sugar eaters but they were big coconut oil fans. But as far as I know, they never exercised. Both suddenly with no (as far as we knew) symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2016, 09:51 AM
 
509 posts, read 657,732 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Saturated fat is not the healthy type of fat. Healthy fats are UNsaturated. Those are the ones with Omega 3 and such.
Yes I do know that.....what I was trying to communicate is that I thought that coconut oil was a healthy fat....because that is what I've been reading and told repeatedly by my many friends who use it for everything....cooking, face cream, medicinal purposes, etc.....despite the fact that it is saturated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 AM
 
6,805 posts, read 3,276,519 times
Reputation: 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That paper's from 2014. People aren't relying on that paper. It was clear long before that saturated fat was not a problem.
Please cite the studies that show saturated fat is healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2016, 11:20 AM
 
Location: United States
359 posts, read 205,776 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I do agree that so much of it is genetic. I am of Spanish descent, and all the women are very long lived and have "high" cholesterol. They live to the 90s and 100s. The men have not fared as well and died much younger than the women, but ALL the men were smokers and heavy drinkers. My dad at least made it to almost 80 despite HEAVY smoking since he was 12 and drinking beer daily. Ate no veggies, drank no water - just coffee, soda and beer!
Just curious did he have C.O.P.D. or Emphysema at all ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2016, 11:23 AM
 
Location: United States
359 posts, read 205,776 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Sorry to hear that. My friends son died 2 years ago at 44 and his daughter died just a month ago at 45. Clogged arteries both of them. Neither were big sugar eaters but they were big coconut oil fans. But as far as I know, they never exercised. Both suddenly with no (as far as we knew) symptoms.
What are good ways to unclog the arteries besides exercise that is ?..what kind of meals or vegetables ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 AM
 
5,811 posts, read 3,298,927 times
Reputation: 13548
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmountain View Post
What are good ways to unclog the arteries besides exercise that is ?..what kind of meals or vegetables ???
Daily Oatmeal helps. The old fashioned whole oat kind, not instant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2016, 11:51 AM
 
18,775 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12663
My family ate butter all their lives and lived into 90's....no heart issues and no lab tests for cholestorol FEARS...

New Research: Saturated Fats CAN Be Part of Heart-Healthy Diet|Dr. Stephen Sinatra

I use butter and coconut oil and don't eat lbs....

Omega 6 oils are the villans.

Trust him or don't.

https://heartmdinstitute.com/health-...y-bad-for-you/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2016, 01:05 PM
 
14,648 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Reputation: 17206
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmountain View Post
Just curious did he have C.O.P.D. or Emphysema at all ?
Nope, no emphysema, or C.O.P.D., no sinus or breathing problems, rarely ever even a cough. I was always amazed by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2016, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Sector 001
7,129 posts, read 5,944,806 times
Reputation: 8042
For what it's worth

I've eaten tons of Omega 6 over the last 5-10 years and have completely clean arteries (verified by 320 slice coronary CT scan also given a calcium score of zero).. a lot of chinese food.. deep fried, mostly chicken items... also lots of taco salad, moderate carbs, some splurging on sweets but not much in the way of saturated fat or excess carbs.. not much gluten and hardly any pasta or pizza for years. I exercise lightly to moderately.. I ride road bike maybe 1000 miles per year and jog 3-4 miles once or twice a week, nothing hardcore.

My cholesterol is HDL 65 LDL 60 Total 130 taken last Friday. Triglycerides have been around 30-35 mg/dl the last 3 times I was tested. Last fall my cholesterol was tested at 110 with HDL of 65 and LDL of 45. A lot of it is genetics.. I've always had lower cholesterol, though it has gotten lower still as my diet shifted away from high carbohydrate foods (pasta, pizza, desserts) and my diet naturally does not have much saturated fat as I do not eat beef that much. It's higher in protein, vegetables, and omega 6 fats, to be honest.

My point being, I don't think that omega 6 deep fried fats are necessarily the big evils they are made out to be, going by personal experience. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that's very mixed and a lot of half truths pumped by people like Mercola... I try to choose monounsaturated, high oleic oils when I find them, but most industrial oils today are cheap, high omega 6 soybean oil and I seem to have not suffered from it... I always wondered what vegans use for dressing.. do they make their own with olive or high oleic oils? If not, all industrial salad dressings are soybean oil.

Also heart disease is more genetic than it is diet.. it's also a disease of calorie excess and being overweight, but being overweight does not guarantee anything, since my grandmother is now in her 80's and been overweight her ENTIRE LIFE.. we have really good genetics when it comes to certain things on both sides of my family.. except my aortic valve regurgitation and bicuspid leaflet, which is a genetic birth trait...

Last edited by stockwiz; 05-30-2016 at 11:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2016, 10:49 AM
 
6,805 posts, read 3,276,519 times
Reputation: 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
For what it's worth

I've eaten tons of Omega 6 over the last 5-10 years and have completely clean arteries (verified by 320 slice coronary CT scan also given a calcium score of zero).. a lot of chinese food.. deep fried, mostly chicken items... also lots of taco salad, moderate carbs, some splurging on sweets but not much in the way of saturated fat or excess carbs.. not much gluten and hardly any pasta or pizza for years. I exercise lightly to moderately.. I ride road bike maybe 1000 miles per year and jog 3-4 miles once or twice a week, nothing hardcore.

My cholesterol is HDL 65 LDL 60 Total 130 taken last Friday. Triglycerides have been around 30-35 mg/dl the last 3 times I was tested. Last fall my cholesterol was tested at 110 with HDL of 65 and LDL of 45. A lot of it is genetics.. I've always had lower cholesterol, though it has gotten lower still as my diet shifted away from high carbohydrate foods (pasta, pizza, desserts) and my diet naturally does not have much saturated fat as I do not eat beef that much. It's higher in protein, vegetables, and omega 6 fats, to be honest.

My point being, I don't think that omega 6 deep fried fats are necessarily the big evils they are made out to be, going by personal experience. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that's very mixed and a lot of half truths pumped by people like Mercola... I try to choose monounsaturated, high oleic oils when I find them, but most industrial oils today are cheap, high omega 6 soybean oil and I seem to have not suffered from it... I always wondered what vegans use for dressing.. do they make their own with olive or high oleic oils? If not, all industrial salad dressings are soybean oil.

Also heart disease is more genetic than it is diet.. it's also a disease of calorie excess and being overweight, but being overweight does not guarantee anything, since my grandmother is now in her 80's and been overweight her ENTIRE LIFE.. we have really good genetics when it comes to certain things on both sides of my family.. except my aortic valve regurgitation and bicuspid leaflet, which is a genetic birth trait...
Thinking that heart disease is more about genetics than lifestyle is the same as thinking lung cancer is more about genetics than it is about smoking. There is about 60 to 70 years of scientific research to back up the fact that heart disease is influenced more by lifestyle than it is by genetic factors for the population as a whole.

Yes, some people can be overweight and have crappy diets for their whole lives and live to ripe old ages. They are the exception rather than the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top