Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:08 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
How are you with using protein powder for smoothies or other things? PlantFusion is very good, from vegetable sources only, no whey or soy.
Never used these. I don't know why I have an aversion to these. They seem like fake food.....worse than processed in my mind. Would love to hear more if anyone cares to enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
The collective weight of peer reviewed research is very much against saturated fat, be it from dairy, eggs, bacon, or tropical oils.

By that metric, coconut oil is basically a heart attack by the teaspoon. While it may have specific uses (ie in cosmetics), consuming substantial quantities regularly is unwise given our current knowledge.

Searching pubmed.gov archives will offer empirically-based insights, rather than largely speculative, self-referential, and dubious claims by "doctors" with blogs driven more by "philosophy" than science.
The Inuit people consume a diet made up mostly of saturated fat and rarely see a vegetable and suffer from less chronic disease than most of us. IMO, it is the lack of carbohydrate that made a difference for the Inuit. Without the carbohydrate, the fat does not cause the problems we commonly associate with it.

The Inuit Paradox – High Protein & Fat, No Fruits/Vegetables and yet Lower Heart Disease and Cancer : The IF Life

Quote:
Man-made vegetable oil diets (margarine and other hydrogenated oils) are high in omega-6 fatty acids and convert into high levels of arachidonic acid (AA) in the body. The excessive amounts of AA in our omega-6-rich Western diets contribute to our chronic inflammatory degenerative diseases such as heart disease, asthma and arthritis.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Think about oils this way. is it solid at room temp? If so it will be solid in your blood.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Think about oils this way. is it solid at room temp? If so it will be solid in your blood.
This has been the one of the biggest misconceptions. It's not quite that simple. To begin with, the body does NOT run at room temperature does it? The human body runs at around 98 degrees which is not room temp, but it gets way more complicated than that..

Saturated Fat: Good or Bad?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 AM

280 posts, read 325,666 times
So much nonsense on this thread. Coconut oil is not magic. It is a commodity, and there is no conspiracy by the medical industry keeping us from knowing the magical powers.

The so-called health industry is a multi billion dollar industry, just like the industry of conspiracy (fear has it's own raging economy). There is a LOT of money being made on snake oils. Coconut oil follows olive, which follows avocado, which follows the magical margarine...another snake oil even before that. They are the oil du jour and making people RICH.

Eat fewer calories, more whole foods, get more exercise and you should be good. If someone says, "Big Pharma" in a sentence, ignore them...they have some anecdotal evidence to pass off that will; hopefully make someone else a buck.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:43 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
There is a lot of truth in the Inuit life of foods: oils/proteins. I've never lived in Alaska but have been watching a lot of the discovery and national geo programs on the lives of people living in the outbacks and living off the lands and off the grids. They eat every part of the animal and the oils are so important to their lives. They work so hard to find their foods and live the way they have chosen. It's not for me, but I understand it all.

No they don't have coconut oil but many from the countries that grow coconut do live on that oil.

Thanks for the Inuit posting.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-24-2016 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 12:02 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Heart disease and cancer are common heath problems of old age, and N. American Inuit peoples on average have much lower life expectancies - I believe it's something like 15-20 years less than the average American or Canadian now. Pre-colonization it was even lower by all estimates I've seen. Any information on how the northern diet affects or affected health should take this into account, which the linked article does not. To put it bluntly: people are dying of other things before they have the opportunity to die of a heart attack. Additionally, there is the fact that arctic life involved everyday hard labor to take into account - this is tons of daily exercise. Also, it is well-known that different genetic populations are susceptible to different ailments, another factor which must be considered. I think there is some "magical thinking" going on in that link, honestly. I am not trying to demonize fats, but this is not a reliable basis on which to generalize what people should eat for longevity.

Almost all the Alaska reality TV shows are largely fake, BTW.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:08 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
My mom and dad and all my relatives didn't spare fats and lived into late 80's and 90's....

Old 05-24-2016, 12:12 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, the science is clear that saturated fat is perfectly fine, be it from dairy, eggs, bacon, or tropical oils.
Mark's Daily Apple (or other paleo-esque pro-bacon diets) don't pass the smell test, so to speak.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The Inuit people consume a diet made up mostly of saturated fat and rarely see a vegetable and suffer from less chronic disease than most of us. IMO, it is the lack of carbohydrate that made a difference for the Inuit. Without the carbohydrate, the fat does not cause the problems we commonly associate with it.

[URL="http://www.theiflife.com/the-inuit-paradox-high-fat-lower-heart-disease-and-cancer/"]The Inuit Paradox – High Protein & Fat, No Fruits/Vegetables and yet Lower Heart Disease and Cancer : The IF Life[/URL]
[url]https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140501165658.htm[/url]

"The data collected through this new investigation shows that the Inuit do have a similar prevalence of CAD to non-the Inuit populations, and in fact, they have very high rates of mortality due to cerebrovascular events (strokes). Overall, their life expectancy is approximately 10 years less than the typical Danish population and their overall mortality is twice as high as that of non-the Inuit populations."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness