Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:01 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My mom and dad and all my relatives didn't spare fats and lived into late 80's and 90's....
How much coconut oil did they consume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 01:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, the science is clear that saturated fat is perfectly fine, be it from dairy, eggs, bacon, or tropical oils.
Fine if you are OK with increasing your risk of heart disease and stroke.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:39 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
How much coconut oil did they consume?
Coconut Oil was not the oil of their time. It was vegetable oils, butter, olive oil, lard, chicken fats etc.

The U.S. found the greatness of CO in the 90's onward.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Mark's Daily Apple (or other paleo-esque pro-bacon diets) don't pass the smell test, so to speak.
Au contraire....they certainly DO pass the smell test.

First, bacon smells delicious!

Second, low carb is a great way to lose (and keep off) weight.

When I eat low carb, I have a very difficult time eating enough calories, simply because I am full! I have no cravings, no hunger pains, etc.

When I slip and eat carbs, I am starving, get cravings, can't stop thinking about food...its awful.

So, consequently, I eat low carb. Protein, fat, green vegetables, and berries comprise the bulk of my diet.

When I eat low carb, I have an awesome amount of energy. When I eat carbs, I cannot wait to take a nap.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Exercise raises good cholesterol, I know that much.
This^^. My cholesterol is 232 but that is because my good cholesterol is almost 90!! My doc says mine is almost twice that of the average person. I exercise a LOT. I also take a lot of fish oils which helps the LDL. It really is all about what your good cholesterol is, not the total. Like someone else said, it it gets over 300, then maybe some changes are called for. Coconut oil is a good thing to eat. And I eat plenty of meat and bacon!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:34 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This^^. My cholesterol is 232 but that is because my good cholesterol is almost 90!! My doc says mine is almost twice that of the average person. I exercise a LOT. I also take a lot of fish oils which helps the LDL. It really is all about what your good cholesterol is, not the total. Like someone else said, it it gets over 300, then maybe some changes are called for. Coconut oil is a good thing to eat. And I eat plenty of meat and bacon!
Then your LDL is 140? That is pretty high.

Congrats on your HDL!! I've never gone over 80 I don't think.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-24-2016, 11:53 PM

213 posts, read 343,402 times
Backwards question on this topic... how can I raise my cholesterol?

I'm an avid coconut oil user and I eat over a dozen eggs a week. At the last reading, my cholesterol was 148. I'm also breastfeeding, so it's important to me to have enough cholesterol for my baby's brain development.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:36 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowersinthegarden View Post
Backwards question on this topic... how can I raise my cholesterol?

I'm an avid coconut oil user and I eat over a dozen eggs a week. At the last reading, my cholesterol was 148. I'm also breastfeeding, so it's important to me to have enough cholesterol for my baby's brain development.
Don't worry about it. Your breast milk will contain plenty of cholesterol.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:42 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Exercise helps, but it is more likely your high level is mostly genetic.

My 93 year old MIL has the highest HDL of anyone I know. She has always been active and maintained a healthy weight, but she never was what one could consider an athlete. She played tennis and hiked when she was younger, then walked pretty much every day as she got older. She has become frail only in the last year or so.

Moderate exercise such as walking as many days a week as you can may provide all the activity a person needs.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:34 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmountain View Post
What are some good ways to get cholesterol down some?
My husband had a cholesterol reading of 240....his Doctor suggested he take daily red yeast rice,
vitamin B, and flax seed oil....after six months his cholesterol was under 200, and that was just taking the natural herbal medicine....no cholesterol RX's at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness