U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 07:56 PM

509 posts, read 657,144 times

Advertisements

Received cholesterol test results yesterday. Physician assistant phoned to discuss nutrition. She asked me what type of oil I use. I told her mainly coconut oil. She suggested that I stop using that. I was stunned
She said it is not a healthy oil because of saturated fat content. I guess I have been living under a rock. I have been using it generously......even add a teaspoon it to my oatmeal in the morning.....because it seems like anything I have ever heard about its use is positive. Anyone else been told this by your doctor?
My results
Total. 218
HDL. 53
LDL. 146
Trig. 93
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 08:04 PM

18,765 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Your numbers are very close to mine from my 2014 labs and CO is a healthy saturated oil...my total cholesterol was 239 and Trig 100

I subscribe to everything Dr. S Sinatra says about heart health.

http://www.drsinatra.com/heart-healt...f-coconut-oil/

So many doctors can drive us nuts.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:11 PM

Yes I thought that is was a healthy saturated fat too. I eat about 4 eggs a week.....very little fried food, no red meat. Thanks for that link.....have to do more research.....I don't know what is safe to eat any more. Really confused about eggs too.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:21 PM

200 posts, read 169,995 times
Saturated fat isn't bad for you. Coconut oil is extremely healthy to use

Old 05-22-2016, 12:59 PM

27,443 posts, read 17,619,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Received cholesterol test results yesterday. Physician assistant phoned to discuss nutrition. She asked me what type of oil I use. I told her mainly coconut oil. She suggested that I stop using that. I was stunned
She said it is not a healthy oil because of saturated fat content. I guess I have been living under a rock. I have been using it generously......even add a teaspoon it to my oatmeal in the morning.....because it seems like anything I have ever heard about its use is positive. Anyone else been told this by your doctor?
My results
Total. 218
HDL. 53
LDL. 146
Trig. 93

Simple, change oil and see if your numbers go down.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-23-2016, 06:04 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Yes I thought that is was a healthy saturated fat too. I eat about 4 eggs a week.....very little fried food, no red meat. Thanks for that link.....have to do more research.....I don't know what is safe to eat any more. Really confused about eggs too.
none of us seem to know what to eat anymore. Today's warning are tomorrows healthy foods. Yes, look at the egg thing, the butter and even avocado many years ago. Then we have to worry about mercury in our fish and does the beef you eat have too many hormones.

I was under the impression that the latest studies indicate the popularity of coconut oil lately is the health factor. We were told, about 25 years ago when the guidelines came out, not to use it. One of the things we have to remember is: doctors know a lot but not always much about nutrition.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:09 AM

2,901 posts, read 1,928,267 times
Yes, you cannot believe what every doctor tells you regarding diet. They themselves are not sure what to preach and seem to flip flop every other day. I guess yours is still on the saturated fat bandwagon. It's been dispelled. Coconut oil of course is natural as is avocado, almonds etc, all food saturated fats. I prefer to go with the consensus. They see a high number in your cholesterol and magically attribute it to one thing. "Oh, it's the coconut oil, you need to stop using it", when not even considering all the many other foods that we all eat on a daily basis. Doctors, are good at reading the results of tests and giving out prescriptions, they are not dietitians and many times are not even well informed or up to date. Their answers to many problems as we all know are pills, pills, pills, which brings up the question... on you on any cholesterol meds?

20 Coconut Oil Benefits (#5 is Life-Saving)

Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 AM

6,805 posts, read 3,275,204 times
Coconut oil is the latest snake oil.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Yes, you cannot believe what every doctor tells you regarding diet. They themselves are not sure what to preach and seem to flip flop every other day. I guess yours is still on the saturated fat bandwagon. It's been dispelled. Coconut oil of course is natural as is avocado, almonds etc, all food saturated fats. I prefer to go with the consensus. They see a high number in your cholesterol and magically attribute it to one thing. "Oh, it's the coconut oil, you need to stop using it", when not even considering all the many other foods that we all eat on a daily basis. Doctors, are good at reading the results of tests and giving out prescriptions, they are not dietitians and many times are not even well informed or up to date. Their answers to many problems as we all know are pills, pills, pills, which brings up the question... on you on any cholesterol meds?

20 Coconut Oil Benefits (#5 is Life-Saving)

No I'm not taking any cholesterol meds. They are only recommending dietary change at the moment. And I have been told to stop using coconut oil.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Coconut oil is the latest snake oil.
My suspicion too. It does help with some things tho.....like if I get a canker sore in my mouth. I put coconut oil on it and they disappear almost immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or