U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:53 AM

3,036 posts, read 1,211,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
That's the thing, I only started smoking regularly at 23/24 ( 31 now ) and used to get them quite frequently as to my job more than anything but of course you make sense and I actually had an appointment with a hypnotist to stop but rescheduled

I think the touching my face with dirty hands is them main reason.... I sweat at work as its physical and I often touch my face ( to wipe the sweat ) with dirty hands but I'll start wearing gloves at work that should help

Thank you for such an informative post AC

I'll google that just hope I can get that here in the UK Cheer
I only lived in London for a short while but boy did I get sick ALL THE TIME. I would recommend doing a neti pot/sinus rinse at least once a day as I know that my sinuses there were just filthy. Try your best not to touch a bathroom door handle and if you have to go through other doors at work after going to a bathroom, you probably want to have a hand sanitizer. I worked at one place where we had a secured entry between the bathroom and the work area (with no sink in the work area) and the door knobs were filthy. I have never worked in a place where people got sick more often than I did when I worked there.

You may also want to have those sanitizing wipes to wipe down anything you might need to use regularly, particularly if you are sharing workspace with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 10:57 AM

15,672 posts, read 7,698,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I only lived in London for a short while but boy did I get sick ALL THE TIME. I would recommend doing a neti pot/sinus rinse at least once a day as I know that my sinuses there were just filthy. Try your best not to touch a bathroom door handle and if you have to go through other doors at work after going to a bathroom, you probably want to have a hand sanitizer. I worked at one place where we had a secured entry between the bathroom and the work area (with no sink in the work area) and the door knobs were filthy. I have never worked in a place where people got sick more often than I did when I worked there.

You may also want to have those sanitizing wipes to wipe down anything you might need to use regularly, particularly if you are sharing workspace with others.
Great great advice thank you

A sinus rinse is essential at the moment as I'd suffocate at present if I didn't LOL. But that sounds logical cheers

Old 05-22-2016, 10:58 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,037,156 times
Some great advice in these posts! I agree with them and will add that a large part of ones immunity stems from good gut health. You should be on a good probiotic, ideally one that has to be refrigerated. It might take a month or two to see a difference, but it will help lots.

Also, as was mentioned, your cilia might be an issue. I would go one step further and say that your nasal tissue is probably also in a sad state due to chemicals and nicotine you bombard them with throughout the day. When you get home from work, you should rinse your sinuses with a neti pot and saline/baking soda solution - sold in mini packs ready to add to the water you'll use for the rinse. Be sure the water has been boiled and allowed to cool - you can make enough for a few days and store in a sanitized bottle or container. Doing this each day will remove contaminants you've breathed in (not all) at work, and help your sinus tissue be less irritated.

As you have a habit of wiping your face/nose at work, you could apply a barely there thin layer of olive oil or Vaseline with a Q tip to each nostril each morning. This might offer you a little more protection from viruses and contaminants going further into your nose.

A word of caution, "natural supplements" can be strong medicine. You should check with your doc before taking any to be sure you do not have a medical condition it might adversely affect. Some meds are made dangerous when taken with some supplements such as those for arthritis and inflammation. Lithium can get to dangerous levels if one takes astragalus. All this info is available on the web.

Also, are you eating the typical Brit working man's diet? Is all your food gold/yellow colored? If so, you've got to change that as it's killing your immune system and setting you up for more weight gain and diabetes, etc.. Like another poster said, you need fruits and veg each. Take a banana and apple or grapes and orange to work each day. Force yourself to eat fruit and before long, you'll crave it. Same for veg. Take a bag of cut up courgette, or baby carrots, celery, force yourself to snack on them. After a while, you will crave them too. Also, eat a handful of walnuts each day.

Read up on the Mediterranean diet - follow some of it initially and then work into it more as you go. You need to feed your body what it needs to help you Good luck, you are on the right path!

Old 05-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Some great advice in these posts! I agree with them and will add that a large part of ones immunity stems from good gut health. You should be on a good probiotic, ideally one that has to be refrigerated. It might take a month or two to see a difference, but it will help lots.

Also, as was mentioned, your cilia might be an issue. I would go one step further and say that your nasal tissue is probably also in a sad state due to chemicals and nicotine you bombard them with throughout the day. When you get home from work, you should rinse your sinuses with a neti pot and saline/baking soda solution - sold in mini packs ready to add to the water you'll use for the rinse. Be sure the water has been boiled and allowed to cool - you can make enough for a few days and store in a sanitized bottle or container. Doing this each day will remove contaminants you've breathed in (not all) at work, and help your sinus tissue be less irritated.

As you have a habit of wiping your face/nose at work, you could apply a barely there thin layer of olive oil or Vaseline with a Q tip to each nostril each morning. This might offer you a little more protection from viruses and contaminants going further into your nose.

A word of caution, "natural supplements" can be strong medicine. You should check with your doc before taking any to be sure you do not have a medical condition it might adversely affect. Some meds are made dangerous when taken with some supplements such as those for arthritis and inflammation. Lithium can get to dangerous levels if one takes astragalus. All this info is available on the web.

Also, are you eating the typical Brit working man's diet? Is all your food gold/yellow colored? If so, you've got to change that as it's killing your immune system and setting you up for more weight gain and diabetes, etc.. Like another poster said, you need fruits and veg each. Take a banana and apple or grapes and orange to work each day. Force yourself to eat fruit and before long, you'll crave it. Same for veg. Take a bag of cut up courgette, or baby carrots, celery, force yourself to snack on them. After a while, you will crave them too. Also, eat a handful of walnuts each day.

Read up on the Mediterranean diet - follow some of it initially and then work into it more as you go. You need to feed your body what it needs to help you Good luck, you are on the right path!

I completely agree all the posts have been superb and this is too.

I really appreciate the time spent on writing that and all the other posts

Thank you

Old 05-22-2016, 11:03 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,037,156 times
You are welcome, I wish you good health!

Old 05-22-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
You are welcome, I wish you good health!
So do I ( 😂😂😂😂 ) LOL

Cheers

Old 05-22-2016, 11:15 AM

18,827 posts, read 6,149,026 times
I often think IF my grandkids dad had taken antioxidants like Vit C and grape seed ex he MIGHT be alive today...smoking got him at 55, he had quit when my grandgirl was born BUT should have never picked up those cancer sticks. He coughed to his end. Sad for him and his children and his other still smoking brothers....and these two men deal with cancers...what a horrible sick habit.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-22-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-22-2016, 11:21 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Grape seed ex and pycnogenol come from France. Daily Vit C can't hurt and making sure your Vit D levels are good.
If you decide to follow up on this suggestion, since you are English try this site. They are well known, honest and reliable. Though I live on the continent, I use them.

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/catalogse...e+seed+extract

Old 05-22-2016, 11:25 AM

7,002 posts, read 6,638,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Hi everyone I hope you are all well

Basically I really could do with some advice on how to strengthen my immune system please?.

A little bit of background on me...... I'm slightly unfit/overweight ( about a stone/just over 14-17lbs US ), my diet is not the best and I'm a social smoker. Plus I'm currently working on an inside construction site that has poor ventilation......

I'm working on both my fitness and diet and have got down to a regular smoker to a socail one ( only when I go out for a drink ).

Now the reason I'm quite worried about this is because I've always been susceptible or open to getting the flu or ill as I usually work outside in the cold, but I've currently got a full blown chest infection and have been quite rough on and off for 6/7 weeks . I'm going to the doctor on Monday finally.

I was just wondering if you can offer any advice or tips that could improve my immune system and stop me catching a cold or getting a chest infection as quickly?

Thank you for reading
Regularly rinse your mouth with salt water and gargle to kill germs.

Rinse 3 times a day reduced upper respiratory tract infections 40 percent

Old 05-22-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
If you decide to follow up on this suggestion, since you are English try this site. They are well known, honest and reliable. Though I live on the continent, I use them.

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/catalogse...e+seed+extract
Just bought a batch of the second one (10)

Thank yo so much for putting that up that's very kind of you cheers

100mg tablets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness