U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 11:27 AM

15,672 posts, read 7,694,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Regularly rinse your mouth and gargle to kill germs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/health/28real.html
That's actually LOL the one thing I'm half decent at as I do it twice daily with mouth wash.

But maybe 3/4 times would suffice

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 11:52 AM

6,997 posts, read 6,632,415 times
I do it twice also for after meals. The only time I've been sick has been when I had the flu shot.

I use salt water as well as an alcohol-based mouthwash like listerine.

Maybe vitamin C or a multivitamin would help.

I went away from orange juice and other fruit juices a while back because of the sugar and strange taste (found out that the apple juice may have been tainted with heavy metals by Chinese supplier). I now prefer the fresh fruit for the taste.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I do it twice also for after meals. The only time I've been sick has been when I had the flu shot.

I use salt water as well as an alcohol-based mouthwash like listerine.

Maybe vitamin C or a multivitamin would help.

I went away from orange juice and other fruit juices a while back because of the sugar and strange taste (found out that the apple juice may have been tainted with heavy metals by Chinese supplier). I now prefer the fresh fruit for the taste.
Ahhhhhh yes the flu jab

I forgot about that and I've heard it makes you not well but then for the year you are bliss

Salt water is good I actually only really use that when I've got tooth ache.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:34 PM

27,489 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yeah I complimented you earlier on another thread regarding your age

I'll have a Google on that cheers. I'm absolutely useless with knowledge on vitamins and supplements as I've honestly never taken them

So I thank you for posting on that

I think the best thing you can do is stop smoking. I quit about 5 years ago and have only had one illness since then that required a doctor (sinus infection). I used to get bronchitis and colds a few times a year. This despite the fact that I am on a biologic immune suppressor.

I went from smoking to the lozenges, to the vape. That alone stopped immediate medical problems. My blood work improved. Now I'm down to the lowest level patch and vape with nothing. Next stop no crutch.

I hit the gym pretty hard an hour a day.

Diet is super important, but I've always enjoyed healthy food. As I've gotten older I have to watch my calories even with healthy food. I'm a normal weight, but prefer thinner which I was through about 40.

It sucks having to change the things that you enjoy, but you will feel so good about yourself!! Good luck Cowboy!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think the best thing you can do is stop smoking. I quit about 5 years ago and have only had one illness since then that required a doctor (sinus infection). I used to get bronchitis and colds a few times a year. This despite the fact that I am on a biologic immune suppressor.

I went from smoking to the lozenges, to the vape. That alone stopped immediate medical problems. My blood work improved. Now I'm down to the lowest level patch and vape with nothing. Next stop no crutch.

I hit the gym pretty hard an hour a day.

Diet is super important, but I've always enjoyed healthy food. As I've gotten older I have to watch my calories even with healthy food. I'm a normal weight, but prefer thinner which I was through about 40.

It sucks having to change the things that you enjoy, but you will feel so good about yourself!! Good luck Cowboy!!
Hello my love

Yeah in short I think " my " lifestyle ( as I'm sure you are aware from my relationships posts ) has caught up with me .

Can I ask the vapour is that the liquid cigs or the e cigs ( one piece that you just change the tip )?

As ever thank you M for a great post

Old 05-22-2016, 12:47 PM

27,489 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Hello my love

Yeah in short I think " my " lifestyle ( as I'm sure you are aware from my relationships posts ) has caught up with me .

Can I ask the vapour is that the liquid cigs or the e cigs ( one piece that you just change the tip )?

As ever thank you M for a great post

Yes, ecigs. Before the thread explodes, I'm sure vaping is not good for you. But it is much better for you than cigs. You can put in what ever nicotine amount you want. It's a good crutch to completely quit smoking.

You have to figure out what your smoking triggers are, and work to offset them with the right crutch. If you are only smoking when out drinking, I think vaping would work well.

I can't handle my previous lifestyle any more. After taking my friend out I stayed on the couch all day Saturday.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-22-2016, 12:51 PM

11,048 posts, read 11,455,634 times
Vaccinate. Not only the flu vaccine but there is a pneumonia vaccine that will reduce the secondary infections from a cold.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:43 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,796,460 times
Most of the uncomfortable symptoms from a cold or the flu are cause by your immune system reaction to it. You'd feel better if you had a weaker immune system.

Best way to avoid colds and flu is to wash your hands, and when you don't wash them keep them away from your eyes, nose and mouth.

Yes, the flu vax might help, but you're unlikely to be getting the flu even every year, let alone more than once a year.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:47 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,796,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You are probably more prone to upper respiratory infections because you have most likely destroyed the cilia in your lungs from smoking. I'm a recently retired respiratory therapist with over 25 years of experience and I can tell you with all honesty that smokers were a high percentage of my patients.

Quit smoking now!!!!! Your body is trying to tell you something. You need to listen. Once your cilia is destroyed it's gone forever and your lungs need special attention to stay healthy.

Almost every single patient I had was on a daily dose of D3 1000 iu. I take one every day, especially in the winter. I also take a cod liver oil, Flaxseed 1400mg, and Fish oil 1200mg. I haven't had a cold or flu in years.

I also am very careful about keeping my hands clean and not touching my face, especially in flu season. That is by far the best way to prevent illness.

You should be working with a pulmonologist. Please see one soon.
Is there any education required to call oneself a respiratory therapist? Cilia do grow back, they start growing back as soon as you have your last cigarette.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:47 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I often think IF my grandkids dad had taken antioxidants like Vit C and grape seed ex he MIGHT be alive today...smoking got him at 55, he had quit when my grandgirl was born BUT should have never picked up those cancer sticks. He coughed to his end. Sad for him and his children and his other still smoking brothers....and these two men deal with cancers...what a horrible sick habit.
People can be incredibly stupid, and I am thinking primarily of myself in this case.

My father died in 1968 at age 56 from cancer of the throat and lungs. He had been a steady smoker, though about a pack a day most of the time, and seemed stunned that this had happened to him.

The bigger fool was myself. I watched him die and I had been smoking since age 13, and my habit was in multiple packs per day. But it was not until a decade later, more like twelve or thirteen years now that I stop to think a bit, when I was smoking three and a half to four packs a day that I finally got the message. I could hardly walk up the slightest incline.

Fortunately, I think, I had developed alcoholism over the years, and about two years prior went through the "pleasure" of quitting cold turkey, with the support of AA. So, when it got through my thick skull that it was time to end the smoking, I did it cold turkey. Shut myself in my apartment for a long weekend, and ate an apple every time it reach the point where I must have a cig....lots of apples, and I was real regular for sure! It was like with quitting the juice...the sweats, the screaming meemies, dizziness, etc. But I made it through three days holed up alone. And for the next year I didn't go to a bar (not because I was tempted by a drink - I wasn't,) but because they still allowed smoking in them then.

Finally, after a year I could socialize normally...in an era when smoking was still a widespread habit and no-smoking social environments were pretty rare.

The change in my daily feeling of physical well being after I quit the cigarettes started to kick in after a couple of months and steadily increased. I felt so much better!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness