U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 09:41 PM

15,672 posts, read 7,690,833 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I hope you are all well

Basically I really could do with some advice on how to strengthen my immune system please?.

A little bit of background on me...... I'm slightly unfit/overweight ( about a stone/just over 14-17lbs US ), my diet is not the best and I'm a social smoker. Plus I'm currently working on an inside construction site that has poor ventilation......

I'm working on both my fitness and diet and have got down to a regular smoker to a socail one ( only when I go out for a drink ).

Now the reason I'm quite worried about this is because I've always been susceptible or open to getting the flu or ill as I usually work outside in the cold, but I've currently got a full blown chest infection and have been quite rough on and off for 6/7 weeks . I'm going to the doctor on Monday finally.

I was just wondering if you can offer any advice or tips that could improve my immune system and stop me catching a cold or getting a chest infection as quickly?

Thank you for reading
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 09:50 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Good that you are working on your nutrition and weight and kick the cigs for good when you can.

I'm older, going on 78 and have been taking a powerful antioxidant, grape seed extract for over 20 yrs. I'm never sick, haven't had a cold since I cannot remember, nor flu. And no vaccines for me. My big suggestion is grape seed ex and work on everything else.

Grape seed ex and pycnogenol come from France. Daily Vit C can't hurt and making sure your Vit D levels are good.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good that you are working on your nutrition and weight and kick the cigs for good when you can.

I'm older, going on 78 and have been taking a powerful antioxidant, grape seed extract for over 20 yrs. I'm never sick, haven't had a cold since I cannot remember, nor flu. And no vaccines for me. My big suggestion is grape seed ex and work on everything else.

Grape seed ex and pycnogenol come from France. Daily Vit C can't hurt and making sure your Vit D levels are good.

Yeah I complimented you earlier on another thread regarding your age

I'll have a Google on that cheers. I'm absolutely useless with knowledge on vitamins and supplements as I've honestly never taken them

So I thank you for posting on that

Old 05-21-2016, 11:20 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Button up your overcoat
When the wind is free
Take good care of yourself...

Eat your vegetables and fruit. They're good for you. Make sure some of them are raw. Celery, carrots, radish...apple, banana, berries. Red, orange and yellow peppers are nice. Cut the junk from your diet. You don't need the crisps or that snack cake. Take some vitamin D during the long, cloudy winter. Some vitamin C complex wouldn't hurt.

Wash your hands. Stop touching your face. Really, people are just covered with germs and spread them everywhere. After I went through a period of time when I was ill often, I never looked at a doorknob the same way again.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Button up your overcoat
When the wind is free
Take good care of yourself...

Eat your vegetables and fruit. They're good for you. Make sure some of them are raw. Celery, carrots, radish...apple, banana, berries. Red, orange and yellow peppers are nice. Cut the junk from your diet. You don't need the crisps or that snack cake. Take some vitamin D during the long, cloudy winter. Some vitamin C complex wouldn't hurt.

Wash your hands. Stop touching your face. Really, people are just covered with germs and spread them everywhere. After I went through a period of time when I was ill often, I never looked at a doorknob the same way again.
Snake cake? Or snakebite?

Yeah that's a main killer for me my diet

But thank you for that ger I'll get some of them when I can get out of bed LOL.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:59 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
The general advice Gerania gave you is good and this is an excellent article from Harvard discussing how complex the immune system is

How to boost your immune system - Harvard Health

I'm also in my 70's and still smoke ( bad me) ...never did and still don't take any med's or supplements and totally believe that much of the ability to get away with this is simply genetic.
Even though this sounds a bit humorous, my mom was 96 and was in great health when she died .

Your best bet it prevention (hand washing, etc) and doing your best as to what you fuel your system with (food/drink)

Oh, and congratulations on cutting down that much on the cigs.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The general advice Gerania gave you is good and this is an excellent article from Harvard discussing how complex the immune system is

How to boost your immune system - Harvard Health

I'm also in my 70's and still smoke ( bad me) ...never did and still don't take any med's or supplements and totally believe that much of the ability to get away with this is simply genetic.
Even though this sounds a bit humorous, my mom was 96 and was in great health when she died .

Your best bet it prevention (hand washing, etc) and doing your best as to what you fuel your system with (food/drink)

Oh, and congratulations on cutting down that much on the cigs.
Great link and advice thank you for that

Old 05-22-2016, 09:52 AM

13,019 posts, read 7,196,376 times
You are probably more prone to upper respiratory infections because you have most likely destroyed the cilia in your lungs from smoking. I'm a recently retired respiratory therapist with over 25 years of experience and I can tell you with all honesty that smokers were a high percentage of my patients.

Quit smoking now!!!!! Your body is trying to tell you something. You need to listen. Once your cilia is destroyed it's gone forever and your lungs need special attention to stay healthy.

Almost every single patient I had was on a daily dose of D3 1000 iu. I take one every day, especially in the winter. I also take a cod liver oil, Flaxseed 1400mg, and Fish oil 1200mg. I haven't had a cold or flu in years.

I also am very careful about keeping my hands clean and not touching my face, especially in flu season. That is by far the best way to prevent illness.

You should be working with a pulmonologist. Please see one soon.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:52 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
I take 1500 mg of astragalus daily. Haven't been sick in 4+ years. Boosts the immune system.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You are probably more prone to upper respiratory infections because you have most likely destroyed the cilia in your lungs from smoking. I'm a recently retired respiratory therapist with over 25 years of experience and I can tell you with all honesty that smokers were a high percentage of my patients.

Quit smoking now!!!!! Your body is trying to tell you something. You need to listen. Once your cilia is destroyed it's gone forever and your lungs need special attention to stay healthy.

Almost every single patient I had was on a daily dose of D3 1000 iu. I take one every day, especially in the winter. I also take a cod liver oil, Flaxseed 1400mg, and Fish oil 1200mg. I haven't had a cold or flu in years.

I also am very careful about keeping my hands clean and not touching my face, especially in flu season. That is by far the best way to prevent illness.

You should be working with a pulmonologist. Please see one soon.
That's the thing, I only started smoking regularly at 23/24 ( 31 now ) and used to get them quite frequently as to my job more than anything but of course you make sense and I actually had an appointment with a hypnotist to stop but rescheduled

I think the touching my face with dirty hands is them main reason.... I sweat at work as its physical and I often touch my face ( to wipe the sweat ) with dirty hands but I'll start wearing gloves at work that should help

Thank you for such an informative post AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I take 1500 mg of astragalus daily. Haven't been sick in 4+ years. Boosts the immune system.
I'll google that just hope I can get that here in the UK Cheer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness