Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:16 AM

224 posts, read 297,596 times

Advertisements

I go out and work around my property. My right arm is hurting all the time, especially around the elbow. It hurts worse when I when lifting or grasping, using the muscles. It is to the point where it is getting difficult to accomplish things. Anybody have any ideas on how to get relief from this problem? Is this something you just have to live with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Sounds like tendinitis. For immediate but temporary relief, try ibuprofen or Aleve. Ultimately though, it will require you abstain from the types of repetitive motions that irritate the injury. It is not a something that heals quickly.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I developed this one time after a move, where I knew I had been lifting too much heavy stuff. I got a cortisone shot in my elbow (not pleasant) and within 24 hours the pain was gone.

However, my husband had this same sort of thing and cortisone shots only helped short term. He ended up having a simple surgery (outpatient surgery) and it completely fixed the issue. His was due to repetitive motion and too much heavy lifting over a period of years, not a one time event like mine.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I don't know how old the OP is but I deal with a lot of joint pain and take supplements and know I have a body of arthritis but learn to live with a lot of issues. My grandson is 15 is in a lot of joint pain as he's athletic and still growing so his mother is taking him for osteopathic bodywork starting today...it can help as so many of us are now doing osteopathic bodywork.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:37 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,055 times
To me it sounds like carpal tunnel. Go to the local medical center, (if you have some form of health care coverage) and they will give you what you need to sort it out.
If you don't have coverage you can buy an "aircast" at Walmart for under 15 dollars, ??
You place it just under the elbow and it presses on the nerve that is causing the problem. After a few weeks it will be OK as long as you don'r continue to over use it.
I had it off and on for some time, rest is always best.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
To me it sounds like carpal tunnel. Go to the local medical center, (if you have some form of health care coverage) and they will give you what you need to sort it out.
If you don't have coverage you can buy an "aircast" at Walmart for under 15 dollars, ??
You place it just under the elbow and it presses on the nerve that is causing the problem. After a few weeks it will be OK as long as you don'r continue to over use it.
I think you are confusing carpal tunnel syndrome with tennis elbow

Carpal tunnel syndrome doesn't cause elbow pain, and the "aircast" you are describing is a tennis elbow strap that presses on a tendon origin not a nerve...

Old 05-24-2016, 03:45 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
I go out and work around my property. My right arm is hurting all the time, especially around the elbow. It hurts worse when I when lifting or grasping, using the muscles. It is to the point where it is getting difficult to accomplish things. Anybody have any ideas on how to get relief from this problem? Is this something you just have to live with?
You have "tennis elbow" it sounds like. No, you do not have to play tennis to get it.

Tennis Elbow Symptoms, Braces, Treatments, Support, and More

Old 05-24-2016, 03:49 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
Carpal tunnel syndrome involves the wrist, not the elbow. You would not want to uses a cast that "presses on the nerve" for any condition. That could damage the nerve.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:52 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
Stop playing video games and try to sleep with your arms straight, not all bunched up.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I have a sore left elbow but mine could be from leaning my elbow on my desk at computer. So I am aware more not to lean on elbow and yes sleeping not crunched up can help. If it's carpel tunnel Carpal Tunnel and Vitamin B6, Inflammation Causes B6 Deficiency

I don't do video games, but we have a major crop of messed up tendons and joints from the computer world coming on big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness