U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 04:33 PM

223 posts, read 608,482 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon.

I lost my sense to smell and taster after a cold the day after thanksgiving 2015. I have tried every type of Sinus medication; nasal spray nothing is working. I have been to the doctor over six times, and they only give me antibiotics. Nothing is working, I have no pain in my nose, and no leaks from my nose. I breath normally out my mouth and nose I feel 100% just can't taste or smell for the last six months.

Any idea on what I should try, or my next options for treatment?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 04:51 PM

1,011 posts, read 523,398 times
I've read that a chronic zinc deficiency can cause loss of smell and taste.

From googling:
"Zinc is required to produce an enzyme called carbonic anhydrase (CA) VI, critical to taste and smell, which is why loss of sense of smell is one of the classic signs of chronic zinc deficiency."

Old 05-29-2016, 05:23 PM

18,028 posts, read 17,175,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I've read that a chronic zinc deficiency can cause loss of smell and taste.

From googling:
"Zinc is required to produce an enzyme called carbonic anhydrase (CA) VI, critical to taste and smell, which is why loss of sense of smell is one of the classic signs of chronic zinc deficiency."
Zinc deficiency is the main reason elderly people often lose their sense of smell and taste--so I second the opinion. Zinc picolinate is a well absorbed form if you want to try it.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:36 PM

223 posts, read 608,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Good Afternoon.

I lost my sense to smell and taster after a cold the day after thanksgiving 2015. I have tried every type of Sinus medication; nasal spray nothing is working. I have been to the doctor over six times, and they only give me antibiotics. Nothing is working, I have no pain in my nose, and no leaks from my nose. I breath normally out my mouth and nose I feel 100% just can't taste or smell for the last six months.

Any idea on what I should try, or my next options for treatment?

I'm a 26 y/o Male.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:46 PM

18,028 posts, read 17,175,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
I'm a 26 y/o Male.
You can be zinc deficient at any age. Even kids can be zinc deficient and there's no good test for it. Maybe you could try taking zinc and if that doesn't work, go to an ENT. Eye, nose, and throat dr.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:53 AM

4,657 posts, read 3,027,372 times
My wife lost her olfactory sense in her 40s after a really vicious sinus infection. She never regained her sense of smell throughout the remaining 30+ years of her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness