U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:36 PM

18,756 posts, read 6,119,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's mostly 'cause a lot of sick people go there.
More and more reason to keep healthy and stay out of medical environments.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:09 PM

4,618 posts, read 10,494,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I think the original poster was pulling our proverbial leg.

I don't think anyone could go weeks without washing. Doing so would be a great way to invite lymphatic problems because whatever wastes that have been excreted through the skin from sweat that aren't washed away leave no option for wastes trying to get out except to recirculate inside the body and clog the lymphatic system.

Not how the "lymphatic system" works and whether someone "washes or not" they are still going to sweat...no "waste products" are getting recirculated due to lack of personal hygiene....

Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 PM

23,901 posts, read 31,123,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
This blanket statement is false.

My nephews, ages 8 & 10, sweat and have been sweating for years. After playing outside for a minimum of 30 minutes, those boys stink! FWIW, they do shower regularly so they aren't dirty - they're just sweaty (and stinky).

I regularly bathe twice daily, and work in a school and I am rarely sick.
Geez no kidding. Anyone that thinks kids don't stink has never had a kid that played outside for any length of time!!! Phew! 😁

Old 05-31-2016, 03:47 PM

5,273 posts, read 11,904,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletroubletime View Post
I dislike baths and showers. I probably shower once every few weeks, and bathe my kids every few weeks too. It's been about 3 weeks since my last shower and my hair is starting to feel a little greasy so it might be time. If we get visibly dirty or sweaty, I'll rinse us off with plain water. We do wipe certain areas (armpits, butt, etc) every day with water and apply some coconut oil. We just got through the past several months without even a cold. I really can't remember the last time we were sick, it has to be over a year. I hardly wash my hands, except in a public restroom or after touching raw meat or getting crap on my hands.

I used to shower all the time, and be very strict about baths everyday for the kids and always use antibacterial and bleach everything. We got sick a lot more, and winter was basically one long cold. Now we just clean everything with water, maybe a little vinegar if I'm feeling extra clean. I do bleach the inside of the toilet or the counter/sink if there has been raw meat there..... and no sickness or colds to speak of.

Why, when we go against all modern notions of personal hygiene, have we not gotten some horrible illness or been sick at all? Is the whole shower/wash hands/antibacterial soap thing a total scam? I see my friends sanitizing their kids hands all the time, and they are always getting sick.
Please, don't ever shake my hand.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:35 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,015,517 times
I only use soap to wash my hands.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:04 PM

8,650 posts, read 4,783,711 times
Abstaining from basic hygiene to prevent sickness... really putting that 13th century medical knowledge to use, eh?

Old 05-31-2016, 05:23 PM

908 posts, read 519,793 times
Quote:
I dislike baths and showers. I probably shower once every few weeks, and bathe my kids every few weeks too.
that's just nasty and lazy. I feel bad for your kids. Hopefully they'll outgrow that nonsense when they grow up and move out.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:59 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I think the original poster was pulling our proverbial leg.

I don't think anyone could go weeks without washing. Doing so would be a great way to invite lymphatic problems because whatever wastes that have been excreted through the skin from sweat that aren't washed away leave no option for wastes trying to get out except to recirculate inside the body and clog the lymphatic system.
What do you think people did before there was indoor plumbing? When taking a bath meant heating bucket after bucket of water on a fire or stove?

Perhaps you might want to consider reading a book on anatomy and physiology. "Wastes" on the skin do not "recirculate" and "clog" the lymphatic system.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:47 PM

17,884 posts, read 9,831,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What do you think people did before there was indoor plumbing? When taking a bath meant heating bucket after bucket of water on a fire or stove?.
Got sick and died a lot is what people did.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:59 PM

1,056 posts, read 870,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What do you think people did before there was indoor plumbing? When taking a bath meant heating bucket after bucket of water on a fire or stove?

Perhaps you might want to consider reading a book on anatomy and physiology. "Wastes" on the skin do not "recirculate" and "clog" the lymphatic system.
What people did back before indoor plumbing doesn't count. Back then nobody would have bathed very often because it would have been difficult. As a result everyone would have stunk about the same and nobody would have noticed. It's not the same thing as someone in modern times having easy access to plumbing but choosing not to bathe just because they don't want to.

And I don't know about the lymphatic system getting clogged, but I do know that my skin pores start to get clogged and cause blemishes within 24 hours if not washed so I have no trouble believing that waste on the skin can cause issues if not regularly washed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or