Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 08:18 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

Since I have gotten older (now in my 60s) I do not feel the need for a full shower every day, same for my husband. I also do not use commercial soaps - I use coconut oil for cleansing. I only use soap for my hands. I take a full shower about every 3rd day when I need to wash my hair, the other days I simply wipe down with the oil and water. My husband does the same. I seem to have far less body odor now than I did in the days when I showered with soaps every day. Yes, I have a very good sniffer and can smell odors my husband cannot smell, and I smell nothing on myself. I don't even use a commercial deoderant anymore, I mix cornstarch and sandalwood powder, and it works great.

Most people really do oversanitize themselves, but I have to say, the OP seems to be going a bit far in the other direction.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
My dad noted the fact that people that over do the cleanliness usually are the sickest, it is a reoccurring self fulfilling prophecy.
On the other side of the coin, kids that play in the mud and get dirty, their bodies are developing the immunities they need to survive.
I have had very few infections through out my lifetime and very few colds , I tend to heal fast and believe me I had lots of splinters and cuts ,still do and I still heal well. Colloidal silver helps too..
I showered daily while going to school, and work, till I retired ,and now once a week ,sometimes more if it's hot and I sweat a lot .
If I'm not in public and stay at home a I don't even worry about it . who am I going to offend ? the chickens or the dogs? they are stinkier than me.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I worked in a hospital with all kinds of serious bugs. I would shower and change scrubs between shifts if I was doing a double. Washing hands before and after taking care of patients was mandatory and the right thing to do.

I have not had a cold or the flu in over three years now. I carry around individually packaged hand wipes every where I go during cold and flu season. I still shower every day and usually twice a day. I can't imagine going to bed dirty and I can't get comfortable if I feel sticky and gritty. I love that feeling just after a shower when you put on clean clothes and are warm and toasty. I simply can't do without that little pleasure.

I also take a lot of Omega 3-6-9 and cod liver oil every day. I have to wash my hair every day because it would be unbearable after just one day. Yuck.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:49 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Kids don't sweat; therefore, they don't stink. Of course rolling around in garbage or some such activity produces stink, but in general, kids don't stink, and they don't usually have scent perception, either, unless it's totally gross.
This blanket statement is false.

My nephews, ages 8 & 10, sweat and have been sweating for years. After playing outside for a minimum of 30 minutes, those boys stink! FWIW, they do shower regularly so they aren't dirty - they're just sweaty (and stinky).

I regularly bathe twice daily, and work in a school and I am rarely sick.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Since I have gotten older (now in my 60s) I do not feel the need for a full shower every day, same for my husband. I also do not use commercial soaps - I use coconut oil for cleansing. I only use soap for my hands. I take a full shower about every 3rd day when I need to wash my hair, the other days I simply wipe down with the oil and water. My husband does the same. I seem to have far less body odor now than I did in the days when I showered with soaps every day. Yes, I have a very good sniffer and can smell odors my husband cannot smell, and I smell nothing on myself. I don't even use a commercial deoderant anymore, I mix cornstarch and sandalwood powder, and it works great.

Most people really do oversanitize themselves, but I have to say, the OP seems to be going a bit far in the other direction.
Where do you get sandalwood powder? Or do you mean sandalwood scented talcum powder? I love that subtle scent of sandalwood. Does coconut oil lather?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:08 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
I just do too much exercise and yard/housework. Between that and the disgusting, dripping wet, hot flashes, for me, not showering would just be a crime against humanity.

And if someone you're talking to takes a few steps back from you, that's a hint.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:09 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

I think you should probably get an unbiased opinion. Older people frequently start to stinkin, and they have no clue. I have narrowed "old man" smell down to dirty hair and dry cleaning fluid. Old lady smell is usually pee.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
This blanket statement is false.

My nephews, ages 8 & 10, sweat and have been sweating for years. After playing outside for a minimum of 30 minutes, those boys stink! FWIW, they do shower regularly so they aren't dirty - they're just sweaty (and stinky).

I regularly bathe twice daily, and work in a school and I am rarely sick.
Diet--particularly the spices in the diet--greatly affect body odor, even in children.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:55 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
I think the original poster was pulling our proverbial leg.

I don't think anyone could go weeks without washing. Doing so would be a great way to invite lymphatic problems because whatever wastes that have been excreted through the skin from sweat that aren't washed away leave no option for wastes trying to get out except to recirculate inside the body and clog the lymphatic system.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:31 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I don't shower to kill bacteria and sanitize, I do it because I like to feel clean.

I don't know about your family, but know our son stinks if he doesn't shower daily. We want him to have friends so we tell him to shower. Plus he will make my house smell.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness