U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 12:28 PM

39,357 posts, read 14,432,300 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine, in his late 60s, has lost much of his hearing ability and is missing out on so much because of it. He refuses to see a doctor about getting hearing aids because he has tinnitus in both ears. My friend said that his father told him decades ago that he (father) had tinnitus and if you have tinnitus hearing aids do not help you and only make the tinnitus worse.

I know that hearing aids have evolved exponentially in the past 30-40 years, so I think my friend's excuse is lame!

Can anyone with experience in this tell me about it so I can share it with my friend? I found a 4-year-old thread in which Anon Chick related that hearing aids actually helped her tinnitus and word recognition. I suspect my friend could be helped significantly with hearing aids and would like to hear some success stories that I can pass along to him. Conversely, if they really do cause more harm than good, I'd like to know that as well.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Along with my friend's wife, I'm trying to convince him that the right ENT or audiologist can do him a world of good. We just need to find a way to convince him to go.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 PM

3,301 posts, read 4,837,793 times
I've only had mine for a couple of months but when I can hear more of what's going on I'm LESS likely to notice the tinnutus.

If you go to Costco you can get tested for free and if they believe that aids will help you can walk around in the store for half an hour or so and get a good sense of the difference it makes.

ps: Costco is about half the price you would pay elsewhere and the quality is high, the warranty great, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:14 AM

Thank you so much, zugor. I'll let my friend know!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:54 AM

437 posts, read 357,000 times
I had my hearing tested specifically because of tinnitus. The test revealed a loss in the 4-10KHZ range, which is the range of higher speech sounds (s, f, t) and also happens to be the same perceived range as my tinnitus. The audiologist explained that hearing aids, tuned to my specific hearing loss range, were sometimes effective in "calming" tinnitus. Essentially, as zugor said, once your brain is able to hear the real sounds again, the tinnitus may recede into the background. It is still there, but you don't find it as distracting.

This turned out to be true for me. I can live without my aids, but I enjoy listening to conversation, birds, children, and higher-pitched musical instruments so much more with the aids. They are also quite comfortable.

I do not know how well this would work for your friend, whose hearing loss is much worse than mine, but it seems well worth consulting an Audiologist.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
I had my hearing tested specifically because of tinnitus. The test revealed a loss in the 4-10KHZ range, which is the range of higher speech sounds (s, f, t) and also happens to be the same perceived range as my tinnitus. The audiologist explained that hearing aids, tuned to my specific hearing loss range, were sometimes effective in "calming" tinnitus. Essentially, as zugor said, once your brain is able to hear the real sounds again, the tinnitus may recede into the background. It is still there, but you don't find it as distracting.

This turned out to be true for me. I can live without my aids, but I enjoy listening to conversation, birds, children, and higher-pitched musical instruments so much more with the aids. They are also quite comfortable.

I do not know how well this would work for your friend, whose hearing loss is much worse than mine, but it seems well worth consulting an Audiologist.
Excellent info. Thanks so much, 2feet.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 PM

183,827 posts, read 74,970,778 times
I wear a pair of quad core computers in each ear. I put off doing so some ten years ago but finally had to stop saying "huh" to people whose voices had become impossible to hear. These mini computers not only amplify but also let me sense the directions the sound is coming from such as the direction of an emergency siren. Background noise was a concern but with some tweaking and tuning I get along so well it is the difference in noon and midnight to what my hearing had become. I can now hear loudly people reading a newspaper. The sound of the newspaper as the pages are turned. The worst problem is noisy environments with lots of people talking. I have to turn them down say in a restaurant. A test and demo I think is the only way to know on an individual basis on which brand will do the job. Information can save a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness