U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 PM

18,756 posts, read 6,129,215 times

Advertisements

I remember as a kid my mom used warm olive oil in our ears.

How to Clear up Ear Congestion With Olive Oil: 15 Steps

Now to get the child relaxed!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 07:55 PM

11,890 posts, read 14,355,740 times
Not sure if you can use it on children, but Murine has an OTC treatment. Can I say that here? It got so bad for me I was almost deaf in one ear.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:07 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Ativan will get her to relax. Hey, I don't blame her - I'm the same way about my nasal passages. When I had to get my sinuses probed, I almost passed out - they had to elevate my legs and get me a glass of water.

DON'T "read her the riot act" - all you're going to get is a hysterical child and no solution. It's a fear, not stubbornness - it's not logical and it's not something you can lecture her out of.
I was speaking out of frustration and of course, wouldn't strong arm her but she moans about how it hurts and won't cooperate.
Besides the three medical office visits we have tried peroxide, warm olive oil, the syringe thingy with warm water, and two different OTC solutions. Sunday after all the home remedies she (unbeknownst to me) got a huge chunk out with a bobby pin and we both thought she had gotten it all out but only an hour later she was back complaining that she could still feel something in there. I warned her not to stick the bobby pin down there and Monday morning we took her to the walk in clinic.
I hope she can get some relief. She isn't feverish but I half way expect her to run a temp with all the pain she is in. She just went to bed with her second treatment of the evening and hopefully she can rest.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and words of encouragement.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:08 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,278,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
She is Vietnamese and Asians have a very dry kind of ear wax. Also her ear canal is very curved. All weekend we tried every home remedy known to mankind. Then we took her to the Walk In Clinic- unsuccessful. then we took her to pediatrician- unsuccessful. DH just called from ENT where guess what?... Unsuccessful!

She is a real wimp and DH said she basically is responsible for nothing getting done. I'm sure it hurts and she was scared but we can't let that stay in there. I simply could not go or I would have held her down myself.

Any suggestions?
Why is she a wimp, why is she responsible for "getting nothing done"?

Old 06-01-2016, 11:46 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,242,662 times
Put in a dropper bottle half rubbing alcohol half white or half Braggs apple cider vingear . 4 drops OR just fill her ear 4 times a day .. it may take a few weeks to resolve completely but will work but the pain will ease up quick and will keep it from getting worse . I had a hospital send me away when a yeast infection in my ear resulted in a burst eardrum the yeast had hardened like a ROCK OMG !!. . I did this and in about 3 weeks both ears were clean free of wax healed of the infection and I could hear better than I had in years and no more itching. Mine was VERY BAD so it took a few weeks.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:44 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I was speaking out of frustration and of course, wouldn't strong arm her but she moans about how it hurts and won't cooperate.
Besides the three medical office visits we have tried peroxide, warm olive oil, the syringe thingy with warm water, and two different OTC solutions. Sunday after all the home remedies she (unbeknownst to me) got a huge chunk out with a bobby pin and we both thought she had gotten it all out but only an hour later she was back complaining that she could still feel something in there. I warned her not to stick the bobby pin down there and Monday morning we took her to the walk in clinic.
I hope she can get some relief. She isn't feverish but I half way expect her to run a temp with all the pain she is in. She just went to bed with her second treatment of the evening and hopefully she can rest.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and words of encouragement.
Yup, no more bobby pin. At least she was trying to do something about the problem though.

I understand the frustration...my daughter used to refuse all medication, and the first time she had to have blood drawn, she started screaming and yanked her hand away and scared the woman drawing the blood. It was a relief when she got old enough to willingly take medicine when necessary (the first time she took medicine without us having to hold her down and pry her mouth open, I felt like jumping up and down and cheering). Recently she had blood drawn again and I was amazed by how calm she was...just sat there chatting while it was done and thanked them for doing such a good, painless job when it was done.

My kids seem to produce huge amounts of ear wax. Maybe it's a teenage thing? My older kid is really good about cleaning her ears because she uses headphones a lot and doesn't want earwax on them. My younger kid goes around with big orange blobs in her ears sometimes but we can't tell her anything or she has a fit about it.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:11 AM

I once stood in line behind a woman and her daughter aged about 6 or 7. The kid had the most gross smears of orange coming out her ears and down her neck. I mean it was gross. I so wanted to say something like "OH I'm sorry you are having problems with an ear infection. I know how painful that can be." We stood there for a long time and I was so tempted thinking maybe the mother hasn't seen it or maybe this is something new and neither one is aware. Then I decide it was none of my business and I did not want to embarrass either one of them. It might have been medicine but whatever it was it was stuck in her hair and indicated a real problem.

One time my 7 year old daughter and her friend and her friend's mother and I were standing in their kitchen when my daughter casually reached up to fiddle with her ear and she pulled out this HUMONGOUS glob of ear wax and said "OH look what just came out!" My eyes popped out of my head and I grabbed a kleenex and took it out of her hand in a split second. The mother was the meticulous housekeeper we all want to be and I'm sure she immediately set to sanitizing her whole house after we left.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:53 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
My younger daughter has OCD and cleans her hands and legs many times throughout the day. I have to buy diaper wipes for her to wash her legs, because she feels she has to wash her legs every time she goes to the restroom and every time she changes clothes (which she does six or eight times a day). I also have to buy baby body wash instead of hand soap for her bathroom and keep the dish detergent hidden, because she'll wash her hands until they're cracked and bleeding. Her doctor suggested Ceravie soap but it's $10 a bottle and she goes through two bottles of hand soap a week. She has a gallon bottle of hand sanitizer beside her bed and she refills her pocket bottle from it daily. That's why we're reluctant to point out ear issues because we're afraid she'll get focused on that too. She has seborrheic dermatitis behind her ears and has to clean them daily with tar shampoo or they get a very wet rash that looks horrible, but she says it doesn't hurt.

I think I remember you posting about the child with the ear wax problem in line in front of you It made me think about how my daughter looks like such a mess sometimes, with the chapped hands and the gooey stuff behind her ears and the hives (she's allergic to hot water apparently, but she won't stop showering with it because she says cold water doesn't get her clean enough) and thinking that people must look at her and think I'm a neglectful mother.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:19 AM

We never know what burdens and challenges people around us carry. I'm sure having to deal with all your daughter's challenges is quite a struggle....for both of you. Sometimes we have to have nerves of steel and deflect the nasty glances and snarky comments. Continued good luck with your situation.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:21 AM

2,562 posts, read 1,729,915 times
About 20 yrs ago I had impacted ear wax inside my left ear. It was so bad it hurt my jaw to stretch my mouth open. The doctor tried a couple of ways to get that big ball of wax out of my ear but nothing worked until he got out a water pick and jet forced water in to my ear. It didn't hurt at all, but it worked. It broke the wax into 3 different pieces. Those pieces wax were so big they wouldn't fit thru the holes of the drain stopper that was in the sink. They were about the size of a grape and they looked like krutons - the fried bread that people toss on to their salad. My ear felt much better but my jaw was sore for couple of days. To this day I cannot eat krutons.

To this day, I will use the water pick just as a way to keep my ears clean and free of wax. I started on a low speed until I knew how much my ears can take from shooting jet forced water into my ear.

If u haven't tried it, im not advising anybody to try the water pick method. You should probably go to the doctor and ask him or her. I'm just saying what worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or