U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:56 AM

2,850 posts, read 768,530 times

Advertisements

If you go to YouTube, there are a lot of pictures of ear wax removal and some of them will make you want to throw up, they're so bad... If those don't then be sure to check out Cyst Removal - just don't watch while you're eating...

Some of you are gonna hate me for this - others are going to give me serious kudos...

BE WARNED - THIS VIDEO IS GRAPHIC!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a7c_1387728280

Last edited by TUMF; 06-02-2016 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 04:02 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,400,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
She is Vietnamese and Asians have a very dry kind of ear wax. Also her ear canal is very curved. All weekend we tried every home remedy known to mankind. Then we took her to the Walk In Clinic- unsuccessful. then we took her to pediatrician- unsuccessful. DH just called from ENT where guess what?... Unsuccessful!

She is a real wimp and DH said she basically is responsible for nothing getting done. I'm sure it hurts and she was scared but we can't let that stay in there. I simply could not go or I would have held her down myself.

Any suggestions?
UNSUCCESSFUL?

I never heard of that. I have twisted canals, too, and it takes a few minutes at the doctor. I only go IF the wax drops "on my eardrum" which only happens maybe once every 5 years or something - for a reason.

I think you're saying she wouldn't allow the doctor to do their job?

Get a tranquilizer prescribed, then.

She's going to DAMAGE HER EAR DRUM.

Some people have luck with Debrox.

Others go the homeopathic route with ear candling. But she definitely won't allow that.

She also needs some lecturing and education.

NO CLEANING or drying with q tips etc. The only thing that fits in there is an elbow.

I'm guessing she probably doesn't even let the water in her ears during a shower, because if she did this wouldn't have been that huge a deal. It's probably YEARS of wax that hasn't been naturally dealt with.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:16 PM

4,628 posts, read 10,513,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
UNSUCCESSFUL?

I never heard of that. I have twisted canals, too, and it takes a few minutes at the doctor. I only go IF the wax drops "on my eardrum" which only happens maybe once every 5 years or something - for a reason.

Others go the homeopathic route with ear candling. But she definitely won't allow that.

NO CLEANING or drying with q tips etc. The only thing that fits in there is an elbow.

I'm guessing she probably doesn't even let the water in her ears during a shower, because if she did this wouldn't have been that huge a deal. It's probably YEARS of wax that hasn't been naturally dealt with.
I should hope NO ONE would allow ear candling since it is a dangerous and utterly useless practice that does absolutely NOTHING to remove ear wax....

Old 06-02-2016, 04:57 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,684,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
UNSUCCESSFUL?

If you would read my posts I already said she was too fearful and it hurt too much to let the doctors use the appropriate tools and techniques. I also said she used a bobby pen without asking me (because I have always emphasized nothing goes in the ears--especially q tips!)

And how the hell do you think you know how she showers? and she doesn't let water in her ears? Are you there watching her every morning in the shower or watching her in the swimming pool every time she swims?

And you aren't too smart if you think lecturing and education will keep a kid from getting ear wax stuck in her ear and especially if you think ear candling is a legitimate solution.

Geez...there's always somebody who thinks they know it all!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,587,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
If you go to YouTube, there are a lot of pictures of ear wax removal and some of them will make you want to throw up, they're so bad... If those don't then be sure to check out Cyst Removal - just don't watch while you're eating...

Some of you are gonna hate me for this - others are going to give me serious kudos...

BE WARNED - THIS VIDEO IS GRAPHIC!
LiveLeak.com - Major Ear Wax Removal With A Surprise
Gross!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 PM

387 posts, read 323,190 times
Sorry - this is an awful experience and I know kids and ears are tough!

So, for my patients this is what I usually suggest (some suggestions were already made which are good).

- Don't get too aggressive with the cleaning at home. If you irritate her ears, she will be in pain and anxious when she comes in for the treatment. In clinic, it will probably take 20 minutes to get it clear. In this case, I do often prescribe a benzodiazepine for patients to take before they come into the clinic, and a second dose they can take if needed if the procedure takes too long. I would speak with your primary care provider about this if she is absolutely terrified and can't get it done. I think there is merit to it in this case.

- If the debrox hasn't worked, I have patient buy the liquid capsules of Colace (yes, for constipation), pierce it with a safety pin, squirt it into the affected ear, put a cotton ball so that it doesn't all pour out, and lie on the side (have your child watch something fun on tv for 15 minutes). Do this for 3 days before you go in and it should soften the substance and make it easier for the ENT to remove.

- To prevent build-up in the future. Try and get her to do the colace every 2-4 weeks, but for maintenance, after the 15 minutes very gently use a blue bulb syringe (like you suck out mucus from babies' noses) to flush out the wax with warm water if she will let you. The alternative would be to use a cap full of hydrogen peroxide (this can be used monthly instead of the colace if the wax isn't too hard).

Wax build-up is genetic unfortunately, and regular maintenance can help, but you may need to go in occasionally to have it removed. Avoid ear infection if your daughter is swimming in the summers by having a dropper bottle of 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 rubbing alcohol ready and put 1-2 drops in each ear and a cotton ball in for 5 minutes after swimming.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:54 PM

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! While she has had clogged ears before it has always come out with drops at home. This is her first real ear ache. I've kept her out of the pool since she started complaining and she really wants to go so I know it is painful. We will try the colace before her appointment back with ENT on Monday. And tomorrow I will call to see if we can get script for something to calm her down. Just wondering how long it takes something like that to work. We will pick her up from school and go directly to the clinic. I don't want her to take anything in school. Thank you.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:03 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,097,878 times
How does she react to Benadryl? You could try giving her some before the next appointment and it might make her relaxed/sleepy enough to be calm during the cleaning.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:39 PM

she has never had any meds in her life except some chewable tylenol/ aspirin and cough medicine many years ago.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:18 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,609,526 times
Xanax works pretty much instantly if placed under the tongue to dissolve. I have to do this every time I have an MRI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or