U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 05:52 PM

4,863 posts, read 5,939,580 times

Advertisements

Anyone suffer from this? I am going a bit nuts. I have had a headache for about 2 weeks now presenting like a classic muscle tension/migraine headache, something I have always suffered from. But my neck started to get very sore a few days in and the pain went down to the back lower left hand side of my head and neck. My doctor diagnosed it as migraines and gave me some Imitrex which she knows does not work for me but insist that I try it again. And I took it and it did nothing. She flat out will not prescribe opioids no matter what, even though I have told her they work for the most part. She pretty much dismissed me.
I am now going to see a new doctor who will hopefully do a more thorough check and give me more options. I would rather not take opioids if I can help it, but this pain is nagging at its best and like an ice pick at its worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 12:41 PM

27,887 posts, read 17,794,724 times
My husband gets migraines and there are all types of migraine medicine out there that she should have tried (non painkiller). She should at least given you a couple until a medicine can be found that works.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-03-2016, 07:31 AM

3,089 posts, read 1,234,743 times
Yes, I get this kind quite frequently (or rather this is about the only kid). I cannot use imitrex because it makes me feel like I am having a stroke. I usually just try to do some physical activity and have a heat wrap I put around my neck and the back of my skull, and then at bedtime I just put some of the muscle cream on the affected area or a patch if it is that bad. I'm also on topamax now but I have tried other maintenance medications with limited success. Before that I was on amitriptyline which actually seemed to make it worse. My doctor also has me on butterbur but I have to be careful to pick the right brand of that.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:16 PM

3,470 posts, read 1,663,182 times
Yup; I've had it since 1995 when I fell on black ice and smashed the back of my head on our front sidewalk. Shortly afterwards I started having headaches so bad that I would vomit from the pain (sorry, TMI). Anyway, the most my neurologists then and now have ever prescribed for pain have been Fioricet and Maxalt. I also take Topamax, which helps lessen the frequency of needing the Maxalt. I went to pain management doctors, biofeedback doctors, etc., all in vain. Basically I alternate hot/cold compresses and sleep with an ice pack on my neck. Sleeping is the worst time for neck pain for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness