U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-03-2016, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,141 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Reputation: 9297

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Here are some comments on tinnitus and support.

Potassium deficiency in Support Forum

I've been talking a lot about potassium deficiency for other issues so thought of looking at this issue and deficiencies.
I have been taking potassium citrate (ER 10 MEQ TBCR) three times a day for about the last ten years because of uric acid kidney stones. I have not passed any kidney stones; but my tinnitus has not changed. If you have uric acid kidney stones I would highly recommend potassium citrate (if your doctor will prescribe them); otherwise, for tinnitus, I would save my money! Although there is always a chance that somebody has a deficiency that lead to tinnitus? My tinnitus was caused from shooting on the HS rifle team without acoustical dampers or hearing protection in the early 1960's.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2016, 11:51 AM
 
Location: In a vehicle.
4,547 posts, read 2,772,025 times
Reputation: 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
Sometimes it's louder but seem to be there all the time on a lower decimal rating.
"Tinnitus" very common to us old fogies that went to rock concerts when young...I "Sometimes" have bouts of it, lasting 1-2 hours to 1 full day...But at such a low level, most time didn't notice it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,141 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Reputation: 9297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
"Tinnitus" very common to us old fogies that went to rock concerts when young...I "Sometimes" have bouts of it, lasting 1-2 hours to 1 full day...But at such a low level, most time didn't notice it.
Mine is constant. My biggest problem is hearing with background noise. As soon as others talk in a room; I cannot hear anybody talking to me - they almost have to shout. But I am used to it and simply try to avoid those situations.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 12:24 PM
 
18,805 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12671
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have been taking potassium citrate (ER 10 MEQ TBCR) three times a day for about the last ten years because of uric acid kidney stones. I have not passed any kidney stones; but my tinnitus has not changed. If you have uric acid kidney stones I would highly recommend potassium citrate (if your doctor will prescribe them); otherwise, for tinnitus, I would save my money! Although there is always a chance that somebody has a deficiency that lead to tinnitus? My tinnitus was caused from shooting on the HS rifle team without acoustical dampers or hearing protection in the early 1960's.
On recommendation from a friend I take potassium gluconate. I'm not sure which form to take for myself to mostly bump up potassium and reduce blood pressure. And I do have more energy from adequate potassium.

I'm not sure what (ER 10 MEQ TBCR) means. I buy my potassium otc and all forms are sold.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,141 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Reputation: 9297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On recommendation from a friend I take potassium gluconate. I'm not sure which form to take for myself to mostly bump up potassium and reduce blood pressure. And I do have more energy from adequate potassium.

I'm not sure what (ER 10 MEQ TBCR) means. I buy my potassium otc and all forms are sold.
I think that is around 1,050 milligram tablets. They used to be marked in milligrams; I also don't know what that other stuff means (so I copied it).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Here
1,684 posts, read 1,427,102 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
Sometimes it's louder but seem to be there all the time on a lower decimal rating.
I am 65 years old and I will occasionally have a sudden ringing or an acute change in pitch in one ear or another. The change of pitch phenomenon I would experience ever one in a while, even as a kid. Now it happens more often and seems more definitive. The pitch change can almost fool me into thinking there is something hissing near the effected ear. I am thinking about having the condition evaluated professionally but as yet have not. It isn't like a new thing, it's just becoming more common.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 12:56 PM
 
18,805 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12671
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I am 65 years old and I will occasionally have a sudden ringing or an acute change in pitch in one ear or another. The change of pitch phenomenon I would experience ever one in a while, even as a kid. Now it happens more often and seems more definitive. The pitch change can almost fool me into thinking there is something hissing near the effected ear. I am thinking about having the condition evaluated professionally but as yet have not. It isn't like a new thing, it's just becoming more common.
Are you taking meds? I've cut back on ibuprofen as I found a herbal pain helper and use it more instead of ibuprofen. I've been taking grape seed ex for over 2 decades and it helps with ALL circulation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 02:34 PM
 
796 posts, read 1,151,537 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have had tinnitus for the last fifty seven years. It is really a great thing to have; I cannot always hear all of the honeydo list! Besides, after so many years, it would be lonely without it!

I love the teenagers with the car stereos that make our windows shake. I always look at them and smile and think they will be the next generation of the half-deaf! Who says there is no justice in the world!
LOL! So good to see you can see some "positives" from tinnitus. My former landlord, a very sweet and dear older lady, told me about this one day. It bothers her a great deal and she's seen all the specialists that she can. We're here in Southern California, so there are some well-known doctors, etc. Nothing has helped. I've tried finding online cures, etc., but I can't find anything promising to pass on to her. She tries to ignore it.

On the topic of aspirin, I went to my ENT for another ear issue--vertigo--and was told to avoid aspirin, lower my salt intake and exercise. Aspirin, he said, kills the ears. No one knows why, but it does, so avoid. I don't take aspirin, but good to know.

I am hearing more and more friends in their 30s and 40s having vertigo. I wonder how many have tinnitus too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 03:06 PM
 
18,805 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12671
Just found something rather interesting re: homocysteine levels and hearing loss etc. I swear I had more tinnitus back before my MD tested homocysteine levels which were elevated. I've been taking methylfolate, b12, TMG and B6 for the homocysteine issues and now thinking that could be WHY I have less tinnitus. I don't miss the ringing in the ears for a second.

https://www.tinnitusformula.com/libr...-and-tinnitus/

My opinion is that MOST doctors are obsessed with cholesterol and don't test homocysteine especially in the aging population. I own a book The Heart Revolution and it's about homocysteine being the culprit for heart disease....I've digressed, but it's all connected.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 04:03 PM
 
4,621 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Reputation: 10309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just found something rather interesting re: homocysteine levels and hearing loss etc. I swear I had more tinnitus back before my MD tested homocysteine levels which were elevated. I've been taking methylfolate, b12, TMG and B6 for the homocysteine issues and now thinking that could be WHY I have less tinnitus. I don't miss the ringing in the ears for a second.

https://www.tinnitusformula.com/libr...-and-tinnitus/

My opinion is that MOST doctors are obsessed with cholesterol and don't test homocysteine especially in the aging population. I own a book The Heart Revolution and it's about homocysteine being the culprit for heart disease....I've digressed, but it's all connected.

No it ISN'T ALL CONNECTED

There is no need to plug your ridiculous assertions regarding cholesterol in a thread about tinnitus...

There is no need to discuss supplements of any sort in a thread about tinnitus...

Tinnitus and hearing loss are NOT the same thing and not necessarily connected...

The link you posted is nothing but a paid advertisement for a ridiculous "tinnitus formula" that has no basis in science. Interestingly though the blog writer who is selling this product admits his own tinnitus came about from working in a copper mine....noise exposure...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top