Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Elliptical 16 59.26%
Treadmill 7 25.93%
Any would do 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 AM

268 posts, read 1,157,299 times

Advertisements

I prefer the treadmill because I find the elliptical to be too mentally boring. The treadmill offers more variety in speed and incline from walking, to jogging, running, and full out "run for your life I hope I don't fall" running (LOL, those little sprints can be so much fun ). Another reason I have never liked the elliptical too much is that for some reason the bottoms of my feet will become a bit numb and tingley after about 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,015,732 times
The elliptical has always been a favorite for me because it burns more calories and is more effective as a workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
Which do you prefer and why?

I am thinking of purchasing one that folds and is light in my pocket wrt cost and bills, any recommendation.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,762,794 times
We love our elliptical. One of the reasons is that it doesn't have a motor like a treadmill does. So it is a lot quieter. We can both be in the same room and talk (when you aren't completely out of breath) and keep the TV at a reasonable volume. And as a former soccer player and skier, my knees really appreciate the elliptical.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:09 AM

783 posts, read 2,582,131 times
If I understand correctly

ellipticals are good for workouts, are quiet and less stress on the knees.
treadmills are preferable for runners
both are good in burning calories but which is faster.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:06 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,762,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
both are good in burning calories but which is faster.
I think that is more a matter of how hard you try than it is something inherent with the machine itself. You can get a great workout on either one. I would say, though, that the quality of the machine matters because you will be more likely to use something that is well-built, strong and stable.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:53 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,785,555 times
One more vote for the elliptical - I find that I can use an elliptical as often as I like but if I use a treadmill two days in a row, my knees really hurt.

My favorite boredom buster is to download entire unabridged books from Audible onto my iPod...I'm so interested in hearing the next chapter, I exercise more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness