U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 08:03 AM

783 posts, read 2,969,938 times

Advertisements

Dr. Vivek Murthy, the Surgeon General, says addiction to opioids is a chronic illness and it needs to be treated with compassion like other chronic illnesses, such as diabetes is. Addiction is a brain disease.

The video is 50 minutes long but it is interesting as there is so much info most of us never heard. One doctor says. "They look a lot like you and me."

The editor of the Oklahoman talks openly about her son who is addicted.
She put her story on the front page of the paper as she said there is too much shame and too much stigma associated with it. We must talk about it!

U.S. Surgeon General talks about opioid addiction in OKC Video | NewsOK.com
If for some reason it doesn't open, start here: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/healt...7cbe26a7c.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 08:22 AM

783 posts, read 2,969,938 times
Otherwise healthy workers who took painkillers for minor injuries were ending up dead a few years later. “It was shocking,” said Dr. Gary Franklin, medical director for the Washington state workers’ compensation program. “Workers are on the job, they report a back sprain, and then they are dead.” In dozens of cases, patients had been prescribed opioid painkillers for chronic pain. Most had taken drugs like OxyContin consistently for months or years.

Moderator cut: deleted due to copyright infringement. Post a snippet & a link

Read the entire articles:

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-04-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 08:55 AM

34,802 posts, read 42,936,199 times
We are acutely aware of this. Our son, a decorated soldier, was shot x3 in Iraq. The elite unit he was part of had their own doctors who routine prescribed abundant opiates, like fentanyl, to get the soldiers back operating. Now, 10 years later, he is still alive, but has a ruined life, is estranged from the family, and has 3 failed marriages as a result. We dread what will ultimately happen to him.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:39 PM

19,067 posts, read 6,273,287 times
Tragic very tragic. I have my own story on pain med addiction so I truly "get it"...very tragic.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:52 PM

5,124 posts, read 12,768,299 times
Opioid pain meds are really not meant for "long term" use....why doctors continue to write prescriptions willy-nilly is beyond me. We know too many folks who have overdosed on these things....the last one, just 2 nights ago....all had started with some sort of short-term pain issue, and they were given too many, for too long...got hooked.

There are many other means of controlling CHRONIC pain besides opioids!

Old 06-04-2016, 10:08 PM

22,841 posts, read 21,895,422 times
On the other hand, sometimes they don't offer enough. After my accident in February, I was sent home with 15 oxycodone. I took three whole tablets in the first three days then started cutting them in half. I put a few aside in case I had any difficult days. I didn't sleep for more than a few hours at a time for the next 2 1/2 months. The pain would wake me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or