U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2016, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
772 posts, read 1,014,751 times
Reputation: 912

Advertisements

I am not normally an alarmist and usually take these media stories about outbreaks with a grain of salt, but I am pregnant, still in my first trimester, so I'm paying a bit more attention to articles/info on the possible spread of Zika than I probably have any other virus/disease.

One random question that I can't find an answer to so far in my reading is how Zika could spread to the U.S. I know it is not here yet, except in travel-related cases.

I am sorry if my question sounds silly, but it is something I've been wondering...

If a U.S. citizen travels to Brazil (or another country currently affected by the virus) and then returns home to find they have been exposed...then they are bitten by a mosquito here...will that mosquito then be a carrier of the virus and can spread it when they bite more people? Or, is it only the specific Aedes mosquito that can carry the virus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2016, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
10,718 posts, read 19,061,208 times
Reputation: 14698
There is already a thread here: CDC Zika Virus Information / Facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2016, 04:17 PM
 
1,988 posts, read 2,304,793 times
Reputation: 2010
Yes, if someone comes back infected and is bitten by a mosquito at home, THAT mosquito can transmit the virus to someone else it bites.

The rate of global transmission may climb quickly after the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2016, 04:56 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Reputation: 12694
Many choose home births with doulas and I mentioned this to my daughter, but it's the hospital world for a natural thing like a birth. I and my brother were born at home MANY yrs ago and I know there are plenty who still opt for home birth, that would be a way to aswage any fears. More germs in a hospital anyway. Whatever you decide, try not to worry. I've heard so much about this "fear".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,508 posts, read 26,116,900 times
Reputation: 26477
What has home birth got to do with Zika? Zika is not acquired in hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2016, 08:19 PM
 
Location: tampa bay
6,449 posts, read 6,462,057 times
Reputation: 9482
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What has home birth got to do with Zika? Zika is not acquired in hospitals.
Nothing that I can tell...unless the poster means you don't leave your house for 9 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 05:28 AM
 
4,627 posts, read 10,504,468 times
Reputation: 10319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Many choose home births with doulas and I mentioned this to my daughter, but it's the hospital world for a natural thing like a birth. I and my brother were born at home MANY yrs ago and I know there are plenty who still opt for home birth, that would be a way to aswage any fears. More germs in a hospital anyway. Whatever you decide, try not to worry. I've heard so much about this "fear".
1. "Many"??? choose home births? I would hardly term 1% as many

"Although hardly the norm, out-of-hospital births accounted for 1.36 percent of U.S. births in 2012, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."
Products - Data Briefs - Number 144 - March 2014

2. Doula's are essentially birthing "coaches" they are not licensed, trained or qualified to deliver infants. I know several doulas...none of them would ever attempt to deliver a child on their own, they work along side OB's or CNM'S

3. As has been mentioned what does home birthing have to do with the risk of Zika? If it becomes a problem in the US "where" one delivers their child will have no bearing on the risk of being exposed to the mosquito vector during pregnancy...

4. You say you have heard so much about this "fear" but based on your response you have no concept about what the "fear" represents....this isn't a "bug" you catch in the hospital and the risk isn't at the time of delivery..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 01:19 PM
 
5,647 posts, read 3,198,175 times
Reputation: 6629
Ok, think about this. There are so far 175 reported cases in Florida as of today, all travel related. Since the majority 80% of people show no symptoms at all, how many people are there who are not sick and have not been to a doctor at all for being bitten by a mosquito?

It is Summer year round in Florida, although now it is Rainy/Hot Season with a lot of standing water around all the time. So tell me WHY after all this time somebody with Zika,people unknown to them, have not spread it an uninfected mosquito, especially in South Florida? Pure luck, with that many diagnosed people, let alone undiagnosed people?

"Health Care Professionals" are you going to demand that every person in the US who gets bitten by a mosquito,including those without any symptoms or pregnant, go to their doctor or the ER to get tested for Zika?

That is going to cost a LOT of $$$$$ with that one, AND make a lot of profits for doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 02:42 PM
 
4,627 posts, read 10,504,468 times
Reputation: 10319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ok, think about this. There are so far 175 reported cases in Florida as of today, all travel related. Since the majority 80% of people show no symptoms at all, how many people are there who are not sick and have not been to a doctor at all for being bitten by a mosquito?

It is Summer year round in Florida, although now it is Rainy/Hot Season with a lot of standing water around all the time. So tell me WHY after all this time somebody with Zika,people unknown to them, have not spread it an uninfected mosquito, especially in South Florida? Pure luck, with that many diagnosed people, let alone undiagnosed people?

"Health Care Professionals" are you going to demand that every person in the US who gets bitten by a mosquito,including those without any symptoms or pregnant, go to their doctor or the ER to get tested for Zika?

That is going to cost a LOT of $$$$$ with that one, AND make a lot of profits for doctors.
What exactly is your understanding of how doctors make money??

Do you think they actually get paid by the test?? Do you actually think they make any money off tests??

If I order a lab test on a patient I don't get a dime and in the soon to come changes with healthcare ordering tests will actually COST physicians money...

Keep that conspiracy theory going though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2016, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
5,120 posts, read 12,725,202 times
Reputation: 7221
The Zika mosquito IS spreading north....so it is a real thing. You are pregnant, and need to take precautions. Those of use who are not pregnant and have no intention of becoming so...or are past our "prime" really don't need to worry THAT much. Yes..anyone can get Zika, but it doesn't have the same ramifications for us that it might for your unborn baby. A man with Zika (who might not even know he has it) can give it, thru sex, to his partner....just so you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top