U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:42 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,826,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Have you tried taking a warm/hot shower for 10 minutes or so (just long enough to take care of business without wasting water),
Actually for me, 10 minutes is very long shower. I try to take Navy showers which, today, I was successful at. See at the bottom.

Quote:
Also, you're probably not getting enough sleep if you have to use a prolonged shower to wake up. Think about adjusting your schedule to include a nap during the day, or just sleeping more at night. If you have problems getting to sleep, they can likely be remedied naturally. If you just don't have enough sleep at night for lack of hours in the day, consider a cat nap. It doesn't have to be more than 20-30 minutes to be effective. It can even be done in-between jobs if you have more than one.
As a working "vampirelle" for the last quarter century, sleep has been something that has been hard to find here and there. First, there is the problem with being a night worker around day people. Day people do not believe, do not understand, the night workers need a night of sleep just as they do. They live under this concept that night workers can get by with naps.

Hence, over the years, sleep has come as when I can grab it. For right now, it is rather steady in that I get about 6 hours from 1100 to 1700 or there abouts. Get up, prep, go to dance class, come home, perhaps catch another hour or two and into work. That schedule, however, can easily be disrupted by meetings, pet/me medical appointments, needing to make business phone calls, kids of the neighborhood doing door to door solicitations to mow my lawn, and so forth. In the Fall, it will shift again when I have to teach class.

The thing about cat naps is that gets into what I call "dynamic scheduling" where life becomes work and sleep and not much more. It was what my life was often like when my mother was alive, where only that got done and it is probably why I have a mountain of clutter now to dig myself out of.

Quote:
The other thing that can cause fatigue is vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Sadly, these are prevalent in today's society.
I don't think that is too much of a problem. I take a multivitamin a day, then Vit C, and then olive leaf extract and then one for Resveratrol.

Quote:
You could also consider drinking a cup of organic instant coffee in the morning. Caffeine is helpful in moderate amounts. Too much and it backfires--like Tylenol. A pot of coffee over the span of 3-4 hours is probably doing no good for a person's body in the long run. More water is actually needed, in most cases. Many people are simply dehydrated, and/or their electrolytes are out of balance. Organic green or white tea is a good substitute for coffee, as is yerba mate for some people. A tall glass of lemon water first thing in the morning is excellent to get the digestive and detox systems going. I know the subject is gross, but making sure you eliminate at least once a day can help clear out the sluggishness in one's body.
Well, once again, there is that time word, "morning". I usually don't get any coffee till work, 6-7 hours later, if at all. Tonight, as I type, yes, I made some. Sometimes on the weekends, I make some when I get up because despite being a Vampirelle for decades, I still do have the urge to live like a normal person from time to time. As it is, at home, my coffee at home is stove top perked (the maker at work is dripped); I have been trying to get back to simpler means of cooking......which comes to the end of things. Beans and avocados are steady items in my diet.

Quote:
........ Avoid the Iphone for at least an hour before you plan to go to bed. Get more sunshine (for the vitamin D production), but don't let yourself burn...........
What is this thing you call the Iphone? Seriously, I use a Razor. One of the reasons why is that I am trying to reduce my computer addiction, not increase it. I can spend hours at the desk with the laptop but if I can get an interrupt, I can close it and leave the computer on the desk, it does not go with me everywhere I go. I went to dance, for example, Tuesday night and I left the phone at home by accident. That "event", when I realized it, was not so devastating for it was only an hour or so that I wouldn't be answering calls that I wouldn't be answering anyhow.

When I was writing in my diary after I woke up, I did a quick "surface sweep". Opened the laptop, checked email and messages (here, FB), and closed the lid again in about 3 minutes. The accomplishment was more that I didn't get typing a post that could wait till now (when I am at work). So in our intense computer world, I don't want to be a zombie, so I am trying to keep my laptop closed at home.

Sunshine.......we-ll..............it's not just about being a Vampirelle but also that I dress for Texas sun. Day to day, it's boots, jeans, l/s tactical shirt, bush hat. Often the only exposed skin are my hands and face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
You might also consider using one of those "beauty" sleep masks since you have to sleep during the day. Block out as much light as you can while you sleep. If possible, try to put yourself on a schedule, where you sleep at approximately the same time every day. Sleep as much as your body says you should sleep.
I would love to be like Nick Knight and have louvers over my windows, but over the years, tolerating the light is an ability that comes with being able to sleep anywhere, such as in aircraft cockpits. When I do find it absolutely necessary to block out the light from my eyelids, I fold and tie a bandana over time. As far as schedule goes, we-ll.....................................

NOW, WHAT I FOUND TODAY..........

Woke up around 1700 and after resetting the alarm and quaffing some chilled water, was lying back in bed where I did stretches and kitten cuddles. After about 20 minutes, got up and wrote for about 20 minutes in my diary and was then off to the shower which was QUICK! I think the most wasteful water moments were letting it run as it warmed up.

So at least today, a different method worked!

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-08-2016 at 01:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 04:07 PM

706 posts, read 396,311 times
Oh wow. You sound like a very busy person! I really hope you find a way to get the rest you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Actually for me, 10 minutes is very long shower. I try to take Navy showers which, today, I was successful at. See at the bottom.
I'm glad to hear it.

Quote:
As a working "vampirelle" for the last quarter century, sleep has been something that has been hard to find here and there. First, there is the problem with being a night worker around day people. Day people do not believe, do not understand, the night workers need a night of sleep just as they do. They live under this concept that night workers can get by with naps.
I'm sorry; I didn't mean to imply that you could get by with naps, if that's how you took it. I meant that I would try to find a little time to take one on top of your normal sleep. I know it's hard to work 3rd shift, and you're right that a lot of people don't understand the complexities of it. It always seemed to me that there aren't enough hours in the day when you work nights.

Quote:
I don't think that is too much of a problem. I take a multivitamin a day, then Vit C, and then olive leaf extract and then one for Resveratrol.
Good. I think I would look into vitamin D deficiency, if I were you, since you indicated that you basically aren't getting much sunshine. You would be amazed at how many problems a D deficiency can cause.

Quote:
What is this thing you call the Iphone? Seriously, I use a Razor.
Lol. Well, I've seen people using them. I still have a flip phone.

Quote:
NOW, WHAT I FOUND TODAY..........

Woke up around 1700 and after resetting the alarm and quaffing some chilled water, was lying back in bed where I did stretches and kitten cuddles. After about 20 minutes, got up and wrote for about 20 minutes in my diary and was then off to the shower which was QUICK! I think the most wasteful water moments were letting it run as it warmed up.

So at least today, a different method worked!
Woohoo! I'm happy to hear it. I wish you the best.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:41 PM

8,853 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Well, awoke around 1800. Up, quaffed water, reset the alarm, laid back down, after about 15 minutes, did some more Body Principal stretches, and then up for shower, checking my messages along the way.

SIGH, dance lesson post phoned, maybe tomorrow, sometime during the DAY! We're exchanging emails back and forth to see what's a good time and, of course, it is up to me to accept or decline. As things are right now, I'm awake and alive.....though I'll probably go back to bed to get more sleep. At the very least, I've quaffed more water since I don't have any immediate commitments.

As far as a busy life, it depends. It was back then, it is not necessarily now, or at least, right now.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:37 AM

33,549 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Can't relate. I sleep max 5 hrs, often just 4, wake up rejuvenated and ready to conquer the world. Take 3 min hot/cold shower and no caffeine. That's my routine I had most of my life.
My coworkers get annoyed, sometimes ... hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or